Low engine coolant

Nick027

:
mazda cx 5 gs 2017
i noticed that the engine coolant was under the low mark in my cx 5 2017 with 2500 km on it, brought it to the dealer and they added half a cup ?

Its been very cold but kind of surprised that i could not see any coolant .

It doesnt take much to drop the level below the low mark. Not uncommon that you may need to add a cup or so every so often.

i noticed that the engine coolant was under the low mark in my cx 5 2017 with 2500 km on it, brought it to the dealer and they added half a cup ?

Its been very cold but kind of surprised that i could not see any coolant .
Very common as Mazda has the tendency to under-fill many fluids from factory. It’s been verified time after time that the brand new CX-5’s have low engine oil level (although some may argue that oil level in between Full/Add or Max/Min marks on dipstick is fine)、engine coolant、ATF、and rear differential lubricant. Some dealers may do a better job to top off some of the obvious ones during the new car preparation, but many of them may not bother. Go to your Mazda dealer and ask them to top off it with Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant perferably watching the tech to do it as some may just add tap water instead of expensive FL-22 coolant! ;)

When we picked up our special-ordered brand-new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD just unloaded from truck I found the engine oil and coolant levels were low. I also checked several brand-new CX-5’s in my dealer’s lot at the time and ALL of them had engine oil and coolant levels in between Full and Add marks.

Very common as Mazda has the tendency to under-fill many fluids from factory. It’s been verified time after time that the brand new CX-5’s have low engine oil level (although some may argue that oil level in between Full/Add or Max/Min marks on dipstick is fine)、engine coolant、ATF、and rear differential lubricant. Some dealers may do a better job to top off some of the obvious ones during the new car preparation, but many of them may not bother. Go to your Mazda dealer and ask them to top off it with Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant perferably watching the tech to do it as some may just add tap water instead of expensive FL-22 coolant! ;)

When we picked up our special-ordered brand-new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD just unloaded from truck I found the engine oil and coolant levels were low. I also checked several brand-new CX-5’s in my dealer’s lot at the time and ALL of them had engine oil and coolant levels in between Full and Add marks.

Very interesting....I found the engine oil on our new CX5 (with 5 miles on it) to be what I consider to be low (right between the low and full marks). I am going to check the other fluid levels to see where they are at.

Thats exactly what i did , they topped it off to full line .

My only concern was that i could not see any green coolant in the reservoir and the tube that goes down to the main container which the dealer said was full an nothing to worry about .

Its been 3 days now and the coolant is that the correct level .
Thanks for the good advise!

And thanks for the reminder Nick027. I just went out and dumped 1 cup of distilled water (watch now-here comes a whole 'nuther discussion on the merits/demerits of using anything other that genuine FL22 for top-ups!) into my tank which bought it right up to the full mark. Probably been a year since I've done that.

The factory does not underfill it. Machinery meters it out. Yrwei likes to repeat this though.

"Full" does not mean "optimal" or "necessary".

Mine was a little low and I had the dealer top it off. Again, it wasn’t so low I think it would have caused major problems.

I am also pushing the stock oil 7k miles.... then it’s full synthetic!

What makes you think the factory fill is not synthetic?

I didnt think they used it stock on the CX-5? I could be wrong tho? I thought it was a synthetic blend?

Mazda does not underfill fluids. As mentioned several times before, the fluids are metered in exact proportions. Stop spreading fake stories.

Back to block

Yes, I honestly believe that every car has the EXACT correct amount of oil when it leaves the factory. The refil with filter on my 2.2 diesel is 5.1 litres. If I add that amount it is about 1/4 inch below full which is where it was when it was delivered. Coolant is a bit different because they cannot purge the air out fully at the factory start up so it depends on the dealer. If they do the proper pre delivery inspection, your car will be topped up before you get it, not after. As for this thing with rear diffs, they specify a quantity that doesnt bring it to the filler hole but the workshop manual says fill it to the level. The reality is that it isnt critical. In production, every car will have precisely the right amount and it doesnt vary. They wouldnt be able to manage the factory production line unless they know exactly what they are using so even the petrol or diesel will be computer controlled to the tiniest drop from calibrated delivery equipment.

The factory does not underfill it. Machinery meters it out. Yrwei likes to repeat this though.

"Full" does not mean "optimal" or "necessary".
If you believe this then this means Mazda wants to be different from everybody else and all the fluids are not needed at the Full mark from factory. All dealers including Mazdas will top these fluids off to the Full mark if you ask for it because traditionally the Full mark is the fluid level you want to be at when you check it and top it off.

Then how do you explain the low fill at rear differential, as everyone who bothered to measure it found the gear lub from factory is way low from the fill-hole, but its right at the fill-hole in front transfer case?

Mine was actually pretty clear but was a low fill from factory. I couldnt feel fluid level through fill hole. Replacement criteria as per fsm is to right at the bottom of fill hole.

So, they are in fact using synthetic oil?
The owners manual says the factory-fill is Mazda genuine 0W-20 oil. The UOA shows the factory-fill is very likely to be the moly-rich Mazda 0W-20 full-synthetic moly oil. In addition therere very few synthetic blend 0W-20 oils available on the market.

Mazda does not underfill fluids. As mentioned several times before, the fluids are metered in exact proportions. Stop spreading fake stories.

Back to block
Fake stories? So youre questioning many long time members here spreading fake stories about the low-fill on factory fluids? And how frequently weve seen new CX-5 owners complaining low oil level and low engine coolant?

As I said, unless Mazda wants to against traditions about the fluid level measurement, many would consider Mazda has the tendency to low-fill the fluid not up to the Full mark or the fill-hole. Mazda definitely has done a poor job to give consistent specs on fluid capacities. And the gear lub level to fill-hole for front transfer case is full or optimal but for rear differential is too much and not optimal? Can Mazda consistently design the fill-hole locations at the correct or optimal fluid level?

Back