Love The Blind Spot Warning

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
And for a phenomina that US drivers won't relate to. In the city of Cali, Colombia where I drive there are about 700,000 vehicles of all kinds registered and over 200,000 are motorcycles. The temperature in Cali may drop down to 70 degrees on a rainy night but is almost always in the mid to upper 80s during the day and of course there is never any snow so motorcycles can be used year round. Of the over two hundred thousand almost all are 125cc because owners pay no vehicle tax on bikes with engines up to that size. They are also very cheap. Most are Chinese or Indian brands and can be bought new for under $2000 US and they are used by the vast majority go the working class who can't afford a car. The problem for car drivers is that most "moto" drivers rarely obey traffic regulations. They run red lights all the time and will drive on the sidewalk, pedestrians be damned to get by slowed traffic or zig zag through stopped traffic to get to the front. They also regularly pass you on the right as well as the left and that's where the Blind Spot Warning is a God send because they're smaller than a car and easily concealed in the blind spot. Thus you may not see them at all when trying to move to another lane. Hurray for Blind Spot Warning! (A note from south of the border...)

The problem for car drivers is that most "moto" drivers rarely obey traffic regulations. They run red lights all the time and will drive on the sidewalk, pedestrians be damned to get by slowed traffic or zig zag through stopped traffic to get to the front. They also regularly pass you on the right as well as the left.
Is there no traffic monitoring or enforcement by police?
That kind of stuff could and would not occur on a regular basis here in Canada.
We have photo radar, red light cameras, regular police patrols, speed traps etc.
Does your country not have any of this stuff?

I had BSM on my '08 CX9. Mazda got the technology from Ford (who got it from Volvo). At that time, few luxury models had it.

I loved to show it off to my colleagues who own Lexuses
"Really? There is no BSM on Lexus? Wow, what a shame! It's a $200 option."
Best $200 I ever spent.

There are efficient traffic light cameras but only on some principal intersections.Their purpose is to catch you parked on the zebra or running the light. However there is a traffic restriction one day a week according to your plate number. On your day you can't be on the streets before 10am or between 4pm and 8pm. It[s a strategy to reduce traffic during rush hour. The cameras catch that too and you will get a fine in the mail if you're an offender. Yes there are police but they rarely catch moto offenders in the act. However the traffic police do set up traffic stops randomly in the city to check the ownership and obligatory insurance papers of passing motos. There is always a flatbed tow truck present to confiscate the bikes that lack current documentation.

You think Cali is bad you ought to see Philadelphia. Hundreds of unlicensed dirt bikes and ATV's blasting and weaving through rush hour traffic. They ride in packs and the cops are basically helpless to do anything.

of all cars I've driven CX5 has the worst blind spot - turning your head doesn't help at all
so blind spot monitor is simply a must have

It’s great to see it in the HUD. I notice that far more easily than the yellow light on the mirror. Great feature though.

It’s great to see it in the HUD. I notice that far more easily than the yellow light on the mirror. Great feature though.
Interesting. On a freeway it lights up in the mirror every now and then. Is it not distracting if it's on the HUD as well?

Is there no traffic monitoring or enforcement by police?
That kind of stuff could and would not occur on a regular basis here in Canada.
We have photo radar, red light cameras, regular police patrols, speed traps etc.
Does your country not have any of this stuff?
People here whine about photo radar, and are fools to do so. It is well accepted in Arizona that the photo radar on the highway doesn't initiate until you are 10 mph over the limit on the highway. - I think that's great that I can safely travel 10 over, if you put a cop out there he can give yo a ticket for 8 over.

Nope, people here whine about "freedom" and "law and order" until they don't want the laws to apply to them.

Back