Love My New 2019 CX-5 Touring...Except for the Seats

Do you guys remove your wallet while driving? Not saying it will fix the issue, but it helps me.

I dont carry anything in my back pockets, so its not a case of another object causing the issue (at least for me). Wish it were, though, since it would be an easy fix then. Its more that the bolstering seems to push into my backside. It kinda feels like Im sitting on a small stone. Shifting around several times can sometimes alleviate the issue, but not always. Again, something Ill either see if reupholstering can fix or perhaps ride it out until my lease is up.

And its interesting - Ive ridden in four different vehicles this week, and none had any issues as far as seat comfort is concerned. Its merely the CX-5.

Circling back on this topic, I finally got my Coverking Spacer Mesh seat covers (via Costco) installed on my Touring. It helped with the seat comfort a little bit. My clothing no longer gets stuck on the suede like it used to, and it makes shifting much easier. The seats still are a bit uncomfortable, but fortunately not as bad a before (comfort level went up to a 5 from about a 2 - though still a long way from being a 9 or a 10). At this point, I'm not going to put more money into getting the cushions reupholstered (though they are still quite firm), and will ride it out until my lease is up in a few years.

One thing to note with the Coverkind Spacer Mesh seat covers - despite being the most breathable option available through Coverking, the Spacer Mesh material does get a little warm on the seat back. It's not quite to the point of breaking a sweat, but it's certainly warmer. I'm glad I didn't go with the Neoprene version. Still, given that the covers improve the overall comfort of the seats just enough, I'd recommend them as an option in cases where others find the Touring seats uncomfortable. And as noted earlier, the leather seats on the Grand Touring that I tested afterward were even worse as far as comfort goes (for me anyway). Hope that helps....

Circling back on this topic, I finally got my Coverking Spacer Mesh seat covers (via Costco) installed on my Touring. It helped with the seat comfort a little bit. My clothing no longer gets stuck on the suede like it used to, and it makes shifting much easier. The seats still are a bit uncomfortable, but fortunately not as bad a before (comfort level went up to a 5 from about a 2 - though still a long way from being a 9 or a 10). At this point, I'm not going to put more money into getting the cushions reupholstered (though they are still quite firm), and will ride it out until my lease is up in a few years.

One thing to note with the Coverkind Spacer Mesh seat covers - despite being the most breathable option available through Coverking, the Spacer Mesh material does get a little warm on the seat back. It's not quite to the point of breaking a sweat, but it's certainly warmer. I'm glad I didn't go with the Neoprene version. Still, given that the covers improve the overall comfort of the seats just enough, I'd recommend them as an option in cases where others find the Touring seats uncomfortable. And as noted earlier, the leather seats on the Grand Touring that I tested afterward were even worse as far as comfort goes (for me anyway). Hope that helps....

I was completely uncomfortable in the leather seats of the 2019 GT loaner I had last week. By comparison, the cloth seats (not Leatherette, yay) in my 2014 is supremely comfortable.

Agreed - I tried the leather seats on the GT, GTR, and Signature, and it felt like I was sitting on a hard 2x4 board with all three. Really wish the Touring had the all-cloth option. The suede simply grips too much for my comfort level. Oh well, perhaps next time....

I know I am jumping in to this very late, but I haven't seen anyone yet reference the (very meticulous) process in the manual for adjusting the seats. It takes you through each seat adjustment one at a time in a specific order to get the correct seating position. This may have been the first thing you tried, but for others reading this you should go do that first to make sure you are getting everything available out of the your seat configuration. This is particularly critical for the power seats.

I tried a couple of the suggestions listed earlier in this thread, and found that if I slide my right side against the right bolster, put most of my weight on the right side, and then have my left leg straight on the foot rest, that actually seems to help a bit. Not a lot - but enough to be tolerable (more like a 5 out of 10, instead of a 2-3 out of 10). Shifting is still a bit of a chore with the suede insert, though hopefully thin seat covers can help with that. I'm used to sitting more on my left side - but hey, if I need to sit more on my right in this vehicle in order to be comfortable enough, then adapt I shall. Appreciate the tips!
Hi. just bought a pre owned 2017:cx5 Touring never felt seat discomfort during several test drives. But u fortunately my first long ride there it was. The grabbing and hardness on seat. So,disappointing. I wondered if you did purchase seat covers that worked and if so what brand/style / model name did you buy? I searched coverking so many options to choose. The most expensive is ultrsuede which I don’t think will be better ( I feel the suede does grab) Unless someone can vouch it’s better? Thx.

The worst seats I ever encountered were in a 2019 McLaren 570S Spyder. After no more than 20 minutes on the highway, my lower back was in severe pain. I guess if you're on a race track, your attention is focused elsewhere, so no time to think about the seats.
The Jaguar F-Sport seats were fantastic. I felt as if I could drive cross-country in that car.
My leather Mazda 3 seats were definitely too hard when new. However, after a couple years worth of use, they somewhat conformed enough to be okay - just not on a multi-hour drive.

This might be kinda dumb, but have you tried taking your wallet out of your back pocket, assuming that's where you carry it. I've never had a major discomfort problem in any of my three GT's with leather seats, but on any long drive I tend to take my wallet out of my back pocket after a while because it starts to annoy me. And I always put it in a side pocket when I ride my motorcycle or it's painful in a short time.

Take a look at:

Even if it doesn't help it's interesting.

All that being said, when my wife was having some hip issues after a fall she found my seats painful after a short time, but was fine in her Acura that had wider seats. It cleared up after a while but I used to keep one of those stadium seat pads in the car to raise her up and get a bit more clearance from the bolsters which put the squeeze on her hips.

Anyway, just a thought....

I looked at a 2021 CX5 GTR and an ACURA RDX. I found both very nice vehicles. I appreciated the extra inches of elbow room and the O-so nice seats in the RDX. I so wish the CX5 had the RDX seats. The extra 2 inches of wiggle room makes all the difference compared to the CX5 locked-in -place for the race feel.

I am having the same issue with my 2018 Sport that I've had only for a couple weeks. It is SO uncomfortable to the point where I would return it in a heartbeat if I did not otherwise really like the car. It feels like I am sitting on two wooden posts, grinding right into the back of my thigh. Has anyone come up with a solution that does not involve getting a different car?

I found a seat solution for my 2014 and my new GTR seat I got a "chair cushion" from Walmart. The cushion sits between the hard bolsters and is about 1.5 inches thick. I thiink around $6 fixed the issue. Ed

Why are so many people having problems with the seats? I have two CX-5's and the seats are fine in each.
Just returned from a 7 hour trip in our GTR and the seats were fine. No discomfort.

Why are so many people having problems with the seats? I have two CX-5's and the seats are fine in each.
Just returned from a 7 hour trip in our GTR and the seats were fine. No discomfort.

Wish I had an answer. Even Volvo, who has a well-earned reputation for having the most comfortable seats out there, has customers/owners who just don't like their seats.

It sucks because not everyone has the time or patience to test the seat comfort for an extended period of time during the test drive.

Back