Love My New 2019 CX-5 Touring...Except for the Seats

Why are so many people having problems with the seats? I have two CX-5's and the seats are fine in each.
Just returned from a 7 hour trip in our GTR and the seats were fine. No discomfort.
The people complaining could be a tiny percentage of buyers. There is probably no seat design that would make everyone happy.

I'd like the armrests to be different, but have no complaints about the GT seats. I really don't like the material in the Touring though. It feels sticky and cheap to me. I consider the cloth seats in the Sport an upgrade over those.

The people complaining could be a tiny percentage of buyers. There is probably no seat design that would make everyone happy.
I believe those who dislike the seats in gen-2 CX-5 have to be a lot more than you thought. I have never seen so many complaints on seats in this forum, or any other car forums I have been with. Here some even are serious enough to think about replace their CX-5 which just bought! If I remember it correctly, there was at least one person here he really did it! That’s how bad the seats are on gen-2 CX-5!

Yes everybody built differently and a car seat can’t please everybody. But the seat designed should be able to make MOST people feeling comfortably most of time, i.e. Volvo seat. The design on seats for gen-2 CX-5 definitely is a failure.

As for seats in my 2016 CX-5 GT with leather, both wife and I feel fine in daily driving. But once we go to a long road trip, I’d feel uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving, where I have not experienced such on any other cars I have been.

I'd like the armrests to be different, but have no complaints about the GT seats.
The center armrest on my 2016 CX-5 is not useful. The driver side is too narrow, whereas the passenger side is too backward. Mazda should make the center armrest forward-movable like many others have done.

I really don't like the material in the Touring though. It feels sticky and cheap to me. I consider the cloth seats in the Sport an upgrade over those.
Totally agree.

Mazda will do some minor changes for each model year if there’s no new model coming out. I reviewed the press release by Mazda for my 2016 CX-5 and found some interesting claims back then:

- Mazda's renowned AWD system is also updated and real-world fuel economy improved. The 2.5L FWD engine has seen an improvement in its fuel economy as well.

I simply can’t tell my updated AWD system is having any real-world fuel economy improvement.

- The evolved front and rear seat structure provides a feeling of comfortable snugness and a good fit, excellent holding characteristics, as well as ride comfort. The length of the rear seat cushions was also extended, enabling the occupant to relax and sit naturally.

So officially for CX-5, 2016 / 2016.5 has the best seats as Mazda even extended the seating surface for 2016 MY which has been criticized the most with short seat cushion on gen-2 CX-5.

- Further evolved NVH performance realizes a cabin environment in which occupants can better enjoy conversation while driving. Cabin noise when driving at highway speeds is reduced by approximately 10 percent over the previous model.

Really? 10% highway noise reduction on my 2016 CX-5?

- A smooth, flat ride realized by adopting a new structure for the front and rear dampers and optimizing the bushing shapes for the front lower arms.

No comment to the smooth ride on my 2016 CX-5, but now I understand why there’re so many different part numbers on shocks for gen-1 CX-5!

Last edited:
Back