LOST KEY...Where to buy and how to program?

Since you need two working remote to program new keys, it seems like the smart thing to is to buy a cheap 3rd key, program it, and store it away. This way, if you lose one of the original keys, you have a backup to program additional keys. Saves you from getting ripped off by a dealership just to program a key.

You also can have locksmith make a key that will open the doors, but will not allow you to start the car.[/QUOTE]

I want to do this with just a metal key to have in a Hide-A-Key and have my spare hidden inside the car.
The locksmith said there was a chance I could screw up the electronics and have to have it re-programmed.

Any opinions?

You also can have locksmith make a key that will open the doors, but will not allow you to start the car.

I want to do this with just a metal key to have in a Hide-A-Key and have my spare hidden inside the car.
The locksmith said there was a chance I could screw up the electronics and have to have it re-programmed.

Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

Thats pure BS. I have a spare key just to open my door and 2 original keys and nothing happens. I cant start the car with the third key, but i just need it to open the door.

I lost one key to the set on a CX-7. Has anyone purchased one from eBay and if so who would you recommend that sells a key? I went to the dealer the other day and they stated that it was going to cost just over $300. Any helpful insight would be much appreciated. I also would like to know if anyone has the instructions like the one posted for the P5 key on the Mazda 5 side.

Thanks
MAX

I just did that .. bought a use smart key on eBay for $37 $6 for a blank key and the local Locksmith guy charge me $50 to program the smart key and cut my blank key on my 2007 GS350 I called the Lexus Dealer before that and they wont even do it.. they said I need to buy a brand new $300 key to them and they can program it for free...
BTW it only took about 20 minutes to reset the ECU and re program the Smart Key.

My mazda also had the ake smart card setup and my fob started to malfunction and wouldn't start my car anymore. instead of buying a new fob for over 300 dollar like the OP mentioned I decided that it would be easier for me to just a get a regular car key that I could start my car with. I ended up ordering something like this off of ebay. Works great and I don't have to carry my fob around anymore. Good Luck.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I am rebuilding a 2016 CX-5 and it is coming without keys. I don't want to spend the $356 the dealership quoted so I found some on eBay but I can't match the FCC code to find the correct replacement since I don't have one to check. Anybody know how to get that code from the VIN?

Back