Long Term Review - PowerStop Z17 Evolution Plus Ceramic Brake pads - 2nd Gen CX-9

20230726_131119.jpg
20230726_143102.jpg

I ended up going with Z23s all the way around with new rotors as well. I was at the 120k km mark. First time the fronts were being changed, the rears were changed before at about the 60k km mark. The fronts were also completely done!!
I recommend the Z23s. It has more bite, less brake dust and a perfect fit. Total cost with shipping and duty etc from Rock auto was $800 CAD or so for the complete set with rotors.

Attachments

• 20230526_182312.jpg
    20230526_182312.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230526_182310.jpg
    20230526_182310.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 64
You weren't kidding when you said they were done lol
Right!?!
They were serviced by the dealer, I think they swapped them around and re greased etc to get extra life out of it. Didn't think it was that bad until I started hearing the metal pins rubbing..

Right!?!
They were serviced by the dealer, I think they swapped them around and re greased etc to get extra life out of it. Didn't think it was that bad until I started hearing the metal pins rubbing..
I just changed my rear pads and they were only a bit better than yours.

Starting my research for some rear and perhaps front brakes (rotors and pads) for my '19 CX-9 GT. Between a lot of Coquihalla Hwy trips, moving to hilly and very wintery part of BC, and a rear brake bias...we're nearing our end of life. Honestly... not impressed after getting 125,000 out of my 2010 Mazda 3 brakes...but the CX-9 is a bigger car, mo money...mo problems right?

@sm1ke - How are you enjoying your Powerstop Z23 rears? @Fawiek how do you enjoy yours after the last 5 months and into winter?

I'm looking at 3 options:
1) Powerstop Z23
2) Raybestos (Element3 or Performance) or
3) Mazda rotors and Mazda pads.

Starting my research for some rear and perhaps front brakes (rotors and pads) for my '19 CX-9 GT. Between a lot of Coquihalla Hwy trips, moving to hilly and very wintery part of BC, and a rear brake bias...we're nearing our end of life. Honestly... not impressed after getting 125,000 out of my 2010 Mazda 3 brakes...but the CX-9 is a bigger car, mo money...mo problems right?

@sm1ke - How are you enjoying your Powerstop Z23 rears? @Fawiek how do you enjoy yours after the last 5 months and into winter?

I'm looking at 3 options:
1) Powerstop Z23
2) Raybestos (Element3 or Performance) or
3) Mazda rotors and Mazda pads.

I did Raybestos Element3 rotors and Brembo Ceramic pads about 12 months ago. The Raybestos rotors are fine, though the coating is over-rated--the rotors are already as crusty as non-coated. As for the pads, these Brembo's were a mistake; stopping power is not as good as OEM and they produce more dust.

I'd recommend OEM rotors (or high-quality equivalent blanks) and pair them with OEM pads or maybe the Akenbono Pro-Act Ultra OE pad.

Expect to replace the rear pads at 35-40K miles. You may be able to re-use rotors but the cost of turning is nearly as much as simply swapping out. I suspect fronts will go 60-70K.

I never dhowed pictures when I made my earlier post on this thread. Here they are.
Again, I used Powerstop geomet coated rotors and evolution plus ceramic pads
20220829_125848.jpg
20221106_172845.jpg

11,000 miles later at 51k, the geomet coated rotors are holding up well, with minimal rust even after 2 NE Ohio winters. Same for the POR15 caliper silver paint, still looks new.
The evolution pads are the only dissapointment, i usually do OE pads, and now after driving with them for some time, they don't have the bite I think is appropriate. The bite normal but after you get heat in them after some normal driving and stops, but OEs would have been better with no warm up needed
Im contemplating switching them out.
Lesson learned, go OE or with Z23, Akibonos, nothing ceramic or low dust.
They are wearing very well however.

@sm1ke - How are you enjoying your Powerstop Z23 rears?

So far, so good! They're showing some rust as expected, but they don't look nearly as bad as my OEM fronts. Performance feels a tiny bit better than OEM, and they don't make any noise outside of a tiny bit of squealing when backing out of my driveway in the morning (after the car has been sitting for a while). Pad wear seems normal, very low dust in my experience.

@Fawiek how do you enjoy yours after the last 5 months and into winter
I like em! A lot!
It was cheaper than the OEMs from Mazda and they grab better, much much less brake dust, little if no rusting on the rotors, no squealing of any kind. The Powerstops went on without an issue, just watch the rubber boot bushing.

You won't regret it!

Cx9 2016. 2WD. Got 52k on OEM and 28k on Wagner OEX. It felt a bit better, but not worth the miles.... Just switch to Raybestos eht1934H. If this doesn't work well, I'm going back to OEM. I hate doing my back break with the EBP system. My front is at 72k have 85% still. I attach a photo of it on the brake front and new set in bag. I use two 1 gallon paint stirring stick 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_210733_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_210733_Gallery.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240201_210817_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_210817_Gallery.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 18
Cx9 2016. 2WD. Got 52k on OEM and 28k on Wagner OEX. It felt a bit better, but not worth the miles.... Just switch to Raybestos eht1934H. If this doesn't work well, I'm going back to OEM. I hate doing my back break with the EBP system. My front is at 72k have 85% still. I attach a photo of it on the brake front and new set in bag. I use two 1 gallon paint stirring stick 😂
See the other post

Back