Let's talk remote starters

:
2020 CX-9 GT
I just had a Compustar DC3 + harness installed in my 2020 CX-9 GT and had some findings to report. Would love to hear about other people's starters and how they are working out.

I paid $450 + tax (CAD, I'm in Vancouver BC) for the DC3, harness, and installation. This sounds pretty expensive compared to some US quotes I've seen, but I contacted 4 shops and none came in even close to the $170USD I saw.

The good: Despite not being able to find any documentation, they were able to make it work with my OEM keyfob with a lock-unlock-lock pattern so that it wouldn't honk the horn when it starts.

The bad: The installer forgot to mention that if I use the oem fob to remote start, that I wouldn't be able to unlock the car with the fob until I turned the engine off with the same remote pattern. So I need to remote start, warm up or cool the car, turn it back off via remote, and then enter and start the car normally. This was a huge bummer after I already dropped $500 to get this far. He said if I set up a compustar fob for an additional $170 including install, I would be able to remote start, unlock, and drive away using the compustar fob. He claimed that this is on newer cars as a security feature. I'm a bit skeptical, but don't have enough data otherwise (also why I am posting here). This is a pretty reputable shop and they said they had contacted compustar about this, so I don't think they're screwing with me.

Anyone else had a lot of success with remote starters?

I initially installed a Fortin Evo One. I bought it off of Amazon: $100 for the Evo One, $38 for the bypass module, and $65 for the wiring harness. It took me awhile to figure out what I was doing (getting the software and key code info) but got everything working eventually. The actual install was really easy, plug and play. Everything worked as normal with one exception, when you remote start the vehicle you cant use the remote to open the rear gate. It still works if you walk up to it and use the button.

The only thing I have done since is add the 2-way long range RF kit which was another $140. I did this because I wanted to be able to sit in my office cubicle on the fifth floor and remote start my vehicle with out guessing wether not it started.

I live in Texas, it’s hot, I love my remote starter. Side note, since you’re Canadian, Fortin is a Canadian company out of Quebec. Also, they are building out an App service to work with their remote starters but I think it’s only offered in Montreal and Toronto areas.

Edit to add: I have the 2019 CX-9 GT.

Last edited:
Check out this thread. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-fortin-remote-car-starter-success.123863977/ It is dedicated to the fortin remote starter but some have mentioned getting the compustar module installed as well (mostly towards the end of the thread).
Also some mentioned remote start install in the the: "what have you done" thread.

I have installed the fortin remote starter on my 2018 CX-9 GT without any issues. It cost me about 300$ CAD to order the parts, which is about the same price that local shops in Ottawa where quoting me for an OEM remote only remote starter. I didn't really save money because of the cost of the programming module to connect to a PC, but liked the idea of playing with the setting myself.

Remote start set-up for lock - unlock - lock sequence. I can unlock the doors with engine running and the engine doesn't cut off when I open the door. Only issue is that the lights don't flash or turn on to confirm engine start during daytime. It is doable but i would have needed to splice wires and didn't feel like going through the trouble.

The 2020 use a different key fob than previous gen I believe so maybe the start module is different and has different startup rules.....but I would be surprised.

Check out this thread. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-fortin-remote-car-starter-success.123863977/ It is dedicated to the fortin remote starter but some have mentioned getting the compustar module installed as well (mostly towards the end of the thread).
Also some mentioned remote start install in the the: "what have you done" thread.

I have installed the fortin remote starter on my 2018 CX-9 GT without any issues. It cost me about 300$ CAD to order the parts, which is about the same price that local shops in Ottawa where quoting me for an OEM remote only remote starter. I didn't really save money because of the cost of the programming module to connect to a PC, but liked the idea of playing with the setting myself.

Remote start set-up for lock - unlock - lock sequence. I can unlock the doors with engine running and the engine doesn't cut off when I open the door. Only issue is that the lights don't flash or turn on to confirm engine start during daytime. It is doable but i would have needed to splice wires and didn't feel like going through the trouble.

The 2020 use a different key fob than previous gen I believe so maybe the start module is different and has different startup rules.....but I would be surprised.

with the Fortin module, what would be the distance when remote starting? Is this limited to the keyfob’s range? Say like 100ft?

Yes. I think it is a bit more than 100ft, but whatever the oem remote can reach. This is the same for any of the other remote starters that don’t include an additional keyfob. You can add longer range keyfob for the fortin, it is a module with an additional antenna and remotes (that’s what Acornkernel mentioned he did above). I don’t need it in my particular situation, but if you do it can be easily added.

The EVO ONE by Fortin makes it really easy to add accessories like the long range remote. The EVO ALL has fewer ports and may require additional adapters. I ended up going with the: RM942 (900 MHz) - Long range 2-way 4-button remote. 6,000 ft. (2km) urban range - because even though I was close enough for the OEM remote to work the office building's walls/windows prevented the OEM remote's signal from reaching the car.

2009 GT, Compustar Prime T9 (2-way) and FTDC3HC module, factory smart key options all turned off. The smart key is on my keychain so I can start the vehicle without a key and the Compustar does everything else. Almost perfect.

Yes. I think it is a bit more than 100ft, but whatever the oem remote can reach. This is the same for any of the other remote starters that don’t include an additional keyfob. You can add longer range keyfob for the fortin, it is a module with an additional antenna and remotes (that’s what Acornkernel mentioned he did above). I don’t need it in my particular situation, but if you do it can be easily added.

I figured...I like to be able to remote start from 3000-5000ft that’s why the 2-way compustar is the way to go that also gives confirmation if vehicle was locked/unlocked or started/turned off. Only annoyance is the extra tiny fob but I think the benefits outweighs the inconvenience...

Agreed, except it doesn’t have to be a compustar. The 2 way with the fortin module will have a similar range. It doesn’t have to be a fortin but this is the model we have had a lot of success with.

Agreed, except it doesn’t have to be a compustar. The 2 way with the fortin module will have a similar range. It doesn’t have to be a fortin but this is the model we have had a lot of success with.

true it doesn’t have to be compustar as it can be any other brand...it was just the brand that my dealer had installed when they threw in the 2-way remote starter for free as part of the deal when I bought the vehicle. I don’t even think my dealer is familiar with Fortin brand...

inanimate, have you telephoned Compustar support with your questions?
https://www.compustar.com/contact/
1(888)820-3690

I had an email exchange with them and they said this is how it works, which sucks because I'm not hearing the same thing about Viper DS4 or Fortin Evo one.

So now if I want this to work well, I gotta either add a compustar remote for another $200 installed, or pay for a fortin or viper to be installed.

Following up on this thread. I just picked the car back up from the shop and they updated the software with an update from 2 weeks ago, and switched the OEM Fob command to 3xlock instead of lock-unlock-lock that I had previously had, and the issues are now gone. The car starts remotely, and unlocking via remote or lock button on the door handle both work, as well as takeover by stepping on the brake pedal.

Back