Let's talk audio upgrades - SQ style

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
I am in the early stages of planning for an upgrade to the Bloze system in my 2019 CX-5 GTR. However this discussion is more broad than a single model vehicle.
SQ == Sound Quality; overall tonal and frequency accuracy. This is different than a SPL build which is Sound Pressure Level (loudness).

Yes a SQ build gets loud(er) than factory but the goal is accuracy not loudness. OK so we set some parameters on what this discussion is about. Next up HOW to get to SQ. I think the goal is met by a combination of signal manipulation (or not) and speaker replacement (or not) and amplification (a must).

Of course each vehicle is different, but let's keep the discussion to the mostly universal 6.5" component and coaxial realm.
Default locations; no fancy door panel build out. Nope not even custom A pillar build out (use what your vehicle has).
This is for the daily driver that enjoys music, and wants to jam out when "their" song comes on. Reduce listening fatigue and enhance enjoyment overall.

Solution should be able to play a WIDE range of music from Jazz, Rock, Pop, Country, EDM, R&B, HipHop (I know asking a lot here).

Responses should be limited to your personal experience in a vehicle you drove frequently. Something you saw in the parking lot for 15 minutes just doesn't quite make the grade on an "experience" with a product line. Suggested response ideas: What have you installed? What have you used and why? What worked? What didn't work? What made the biggest improvement (bang for the buck)?

Front sound stage
6.5" component

Rear sound
6.5 coaxial

sub woofer

DSP = digital signal processor

Amplifier
4 channel or
1 channel (mono block) or
5 channel or above

Budget +/- 20%
Front sound stage (speaker) $400
Rear sound stage (speaker) $200
sub woofer + box $500
DSP $400
Amplifier (no DSP integrated) $600
Amplifier (with DSP integrated) $1200 (yes more than the individual pieces, but you got to pay for that integration plus 1 less piece to install / maintain)

Assume BIG 3 upgrade (battery ground / power and alternator power)
Assume quality OFC cables used
Assume quality RCA / speaker cables / crimps where needed

Sound deadening treatment?

----- Alright we are into the product selections. Here are a few from local shops recommendations (Phoenix AZ):

DD Audio
CC6.5A https://ddaudio.com/speaker/cc6-5a/
A decent lesser known brand with a flair for getting loud, but how do they SQ?

Audio Dynamics (not to be confused with Image Dynamics) ADCS622
A relatively newcomer in the SQL realm; them blind listening tests on YouTube are surprising.

Memphis VIV60C
Been around for quite some time; this model line is ???

Hertz
Energy ESK 165.5 https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-systems-energy-esk165_5/
Cento CPK 165 PRO https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-systems-cento-pro-cpk165/
Hertz has a WIDE range of products; how best to even decide ?

------

Ok let's start down this rabbit hole.. see where the conversation takes us.

To my ears, Linear Power makes the best damned amps and speakers money can buy. They're actually handcrafted in America, too. D'Lo, Mississippi, to be exact. So few truly American car audio companies are still in business.

I know the owner of the company personally, and his hands are literally in every single amp they build.

When you look at their website, don't let the simplicity fool you. They are an extremely small company, and can't afford a proper Webmaster. A guy who works there coded the website at his desk. :)

Back