Leg Room in 2017.5, and hello!

mel_vin

:
2017 Mazda CX5 GS (Touring)
Hi All,

New member here, but been reading for a few years, so, hello! Need some of your opinions!

So I've got a '13 CX5 GX 2 litre I bougt at the end of 2013 as a dealer shuttle bus...had quite a bit of KM (54K KM) on it, but wanted the car so bad and was trying to save a few bucks. Loved it from when I first saw it, and converted me to a Mazda fan. Been a great little CUV as my DD albeit a bit anemic due to the 2 litre. So Im at a point right now where Im longing for a bit more punch that the 2.5 can offer over the 2L (im still all about fuel savings, so I know what Im getting in into here) and the resale value on mine now is only gonna drop from here as it now has 140K KM on it and had a dealer offer me $8K trade in. I cant decide between going for a 2016.5 or a 2017! My head says go for the newer, this time go for the GT package to get all the bells and whistles as I plan to keep this car for a while and Im a sucker for gadets and tech (Im an IT person by trade). Im no fan of the 19" tires, (especially the rims on the 16.5 the 17 is a lot more sexier) I prefer 17" for cost, ride comfort and very very light off the beaten path (more dirt roads than anything) but I think the recomendation from these forums is go for the General Altimax on next rubber change so I just may keep the 19s at least on the 17 should I go that route.

So my biggest worry with the 2017 the leg room with the center console being as high and padded as it is, my knee seems to rest a bit depending how I adjust the seat, and I worry that would drive me crazy! Im 5'11.
Also, not sure how I feel about the tablet style head unit versus the old school deck, however more manufactures are going that way (it should have been at least an 8")
Bummed out that the cargo is a bit smaller than previous gen. I dont hall stuff that often, but its nice to know its there.

Ive crossed shopped, dont like any other offereing out there. CRV is fugly, but what bothers me most is a 1.5T with CVT. (I LOATH CVT)
RAV4s, engine is meh and the interiror in also a big ol MEH. I love the look of the Tiguan, but dont tust VW for reliability...also felt a bit anemic with the 2T (although there is a tune coming apparently)

Only other thing I would consider at this point is a used 16 RDX, but while I both love and fear the power (might get me into trouble) I worry about fuel encon since most of my drive is city, but through long back roads. Its a nice ride, people call it boring, but I dunno think its a bit un fair to call it that. Cargo is smaller than the 17 CX5 (with seats up)

I love/hate the design refresh. Bumbed about losing a bit of rear cargo, but looks like the back seat comform/room is better on the 17 (am I right?)

I have driven both 16 and 17 and can get a really good deal on a demo 17 and an even better deal on a demo 16 GT...but I feel a bit silly for trading up to the 16 and go into debt again for something that almost looks identical to the one Im replacing (if that makes sense)

I could wait until the 13 dies too, but I generally keep my cars 4- 5 years, but this next one I plan to keep longer, my goal for at least 7-8.

Sorry for the novel! I would hate to descredit a car over the head unit, I think I can get over that one. Anyone else go from an early 13 or 14 to the 17? Have you been happy?

I was concerned by the console being padded as well.

First one I test drove, I had to adjust the seat a bit (further back) and that solved the issue (I am a few inches over 6 foot).

The second one I test drove, I had no issues at all as I knew the perfect seating setup.

P.S Welcome :D

Hey thanks for the reply and welcome!!

Oh yeah? Did you end up buying it? What trim? I think I found a spot where my arms werent to reached out and my knee not being bothered buy it to much. Ive must have gone back and forth between the 2 years cars 20 times lol. Sales guy must think I was nuts :)

Oh yeah? Did you end up buying it? What trim? I think I found a spot where my arms werent to reached out and my knee not being bothered buy it to much. Ive must have gone back and forth between the 2 years cars 20 times lol. Sales guy must think I was nuts :)

Not yet. Our updated 2018 model is being released in April so will be getting it then :)

You can pull the steering column back and forth 9along with up and down) which will help you get into your perfect driving position.

Also I had been waiting out on the diesel (as Im sure a whole whack of other people are). Knowing my luck, I'll buy the car and boom hey diesels are coming as the 2018.5 or 19. But again, Im also saving a fair bit of coin by going the demo route which is important to me...believe it or not, I have never actually bought a brand spanking new car. My '13 was the closest, but I got it for like $20K with trade. Had a 2006 pontiac vibe AWD....or Matrix in disguise as I called it :)

My just departed Mazda 6 was my first brand new car. The CX-5 will be my second!

Nice, congrats!! (cheers) What trim color did you land on?

sorry just saw it in your signature lol. Akera...Down under, nice! No diesel for you?

Nice, congrats!! (cheers) What trim color did you land on?

Mazda 6 was black leather interior. CX-5 will be the same.

Exterior was sonic silver on 6 and will be the same on the CX-5

sorry just saw it in your signature lol. Akera...Down under, nice! No diesel for you?

We have the diesel here but the numbers (cost and how many kms I do) don't justify me getting a diesel

I hear ya. I read that it probabaly would only be available in certain high trim levels and I have a limit on what I would spend on a depreciating asset like a car...Also here in Canada, with what VW left behind in dieselgate, all the junk now that the cars will require makes me worry about reliability. The CX5 is pretty decent on fuel and it not bad pep wise to drive and light towing is a plus. I want a boat one day, but it would be left at the marina. I would just grab it and launch it in the water in a lower gear. wouldnt be a big ass boat either, maybe slightly over the 2000lbs pound mark.

I must say also from the bose sound front between the 16 and the 17....I thought the 2016.5 bose sounded alright . I know theres the sub in the 17, but I question just how effective it is in the weel, under a mat, and possibly a cargo liner. At least in that regard I wouldnt be disapointed if I went 2016.5....ugh cant decice lol (braindead)

I must say also from the bose sound front between the 16 and the 17....I thought the 2016.5 bose sounded alright . I know theres the sub in the 17, but I question just how effective it is in the weel, under a mat, and possibly a cargo liner. At least in that regard I wouldnt be disapointed if I went 2016.5....ugh cant decice lol (braindead)

The bose on my 6 sounded fine to me (I am no audiophile) and I presume the one in the CX-5 will be atleast equal to that

Welcome to the forums.

I'm 5'10' and fit very comfortably in the CX-5. I have the seat back almost all the wa. I find I can adjust the tilt and lumbar very nicely to feel like I have the right control and not feel cramped up against the wheel. I haven't had any issue with the console being in the way in the least.

IskiE

Welcome to the forums.

I'm 5'10' and fit very comfortably in the CX-5. I have the seat back almost all the wa. I find I can adjust the tilt and lumbar very nicely to feel like I have the right control and not feel cramped up against the wheel. I haven't had any issue with the console being in the way in the least.

IskiE

Thanks!

Yes definatley leaning towards the 17, but thinking about going with an all decked out GS (Touring I guess is what its called in US) with the tech added instead of the GT. Im thinking I can just upgrade the door speakers later to something a bit better....You know what they say about Bose, Buy Other Sound Equipment lol :) Id rather the 17"s and fine with the leatherette. Im guessing I can be on the road for arround 24-25K with trade tax in...and 0% for 60 which is nice!

The Bose system is pretty good for a vehicle. Maybe not for anyone who is super particular on music but the sound is quite good. There are a number of adjustments you can make as well. Comfort of the seats is very good even in the back.

Back