LED headlights and DRLs, not what I expected

From my observations as a driver, I don't think the dimmed headlights as DRL's on US spec CX-5's are particularly effective for that purpose. They are just too small to be very noticeable in bright daylight. Having a larger area of LED's illuminated would work better. I guess someone at Mazda had reasons for that decision, though we'll probably never know them.

Might be related to DRL recall on '16 GT with tech package
My DRL replacement is 4 months backlogged, reacall bulletin says use low beam in the meantime
I guess they just don't want to produce an extra million headlight units for free :)

From my observations as a driver, I don't think the dimmed headlights as DRL's on US spec CX-5's are particularly effective for that purpose. They are just too small to be very noticeable in bright daylight. Having a larger area of LED's illuminated would work better. I guess someone at Mazda had reasons for that decision, though we'll probably never know them.

Cost saving probably. Same as other small things that are missing or have weird logic in the cx5.
But thats the way I guess to have a bit lower price on a car overall ( cut one thing but add another) that gets into the luxury section market where prices are much higher. i.e. lexus nx or audi q3 for comparison.

Anyone knows if a shutter is used to partially close the LED bulb to allow DRL and low beam to operate? In my 2014 Murano, the bi-xenon HID used a shutter to allow the same bulb for low/high beams. Just curious about my new CX-5...

not sure about shutter but yes it is the same one LED bulb that is used for low and high beam. 'DRL' is basically the same led bulb but at much lower intensity of the light. Thats for the US models.

Thanks cz5gt. I gave it some thoughts and remembered that a typical LED headlight bulb has several individual LED. Let's say it has 6, perhaps 2 are used for DRL, 4 for low beam and 6 for high beams

I disabled the DRL's in my 2019 and would never use the auto mode. It seems brainless that the lights turn on automatically when I start the car inside the garage during the daytime, or turn on when I pull back into the garage in the daytime.
I think I have sense enough to know when it is dark enough to turn on the headlights or when weather conditions dictate that having the lights on is a good idea.
How hard is it to twist the switch on the left stalk ?
Same with the auto mode on the HVAC system. I know better than it does and selecting the settings is simple enough.

Doh. Grandpa's here. :D
I LOVE that I never have to think about what my lights are doing. I love that I am NEVER that guy driving down the street with his DRL's only on at midnight. It doesn't bother me that my lights come on in my garage during the day. What's the big deal?
I also absolutely paid extra for the AUTOMAGIC Climate Control system that allows me to run the heat while my wife runs the AC.
Probably don't like power windows, either, amirite? Just one more thing to break?

Where I live it is overcast and drizzling much of the year. Many people either choose not to turn on lights in those conditions, or forget. It's much easier to see other cars with peripheral vision when they have lights on, even during the day. Some highways have signs saying its mandatory.

I have no qualms with enforced, auto daytime running lights. Separate issue whether it makes sense for that to be the headlights.

I did use the procedure to disable them so our family could drive through the socially distanced Christmas Light display at the local zoo. It took me a few tries, but does work. A few days after, I re-enabled them.

Back