Largest/best aftermarket radiator/fan/tranny cooler for maximum towing?

jweaks

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-9 Sport 2012 & Mazda3 2018 Touring
I'd like to install a tow package for my 2012 CX9 Sport. I already installed the Curt hitch and love it.

I'd like to consider if there are aftermarket radiator & fan and also tranny cooler that are better (guessing that means larger) than what my dealer will put in that fit the CX9 I can consider.

My understanding is that the radiator and tranny cooler size are the limiting factors on ease of towing for this vehicle. I'm not wanting to tow more than 3500. Just wanting to consider the best possible, for ease of mind.

Anyone know of options to look at?

Not sure if it is compatible, but the 2012 ford edge (same engine as the CX-9 and some other shared components) had a tow package available from the dealer.

“Class II Trailer Tow Package includes hitch receiver, larger radiator, upgraded cooling fans, wiring harness with 4-pin connector and trailer sway control (3,500 lbs. max.)”

you may be able to find some of these components for cheap and with sone luck may be able to fit on the CX-9 ( but i don’t know for sure if they fit).

There was a factory tow package for the CX9 as well. It came with a different radiator, the part numbers are available on any Mazda parts website.

The aftermarket for these vehicles is not very expansive. Aside from the OEM option, I am not aware of anything larger.

As I recall the parts mentioned come standard on the Grand Touring (I think) model. If you have a local pick-and-pull yard you may be able to find the parts there from a rear-ended vehicle. I expect that since they are just mostly mechanical parts they should be fairly easy to swap. However, I'm pretty sure the front bumper has to come off to do the job.

I know they also had the pre-wiring for the trailer in the rear under the fascia pieces by the rear deck door. I don't know how far up that harness runs though and if that would be plug-and-play on a different trim line.

My trim line did not come with the preinstalled plug and play wiring. In fact I still need to sell the harness I bought to plug into that prewiring, assuming it was there. So, I physically ran the wire for the harness from the back, through the trim inside the vehicle, and through the little nipple in the firewall behind the pedals.

Back