LankyKiwi's Rally-flavored SP20

Looks to be a FSZE to me. Resonator box on IM is the first hint. Compare the exhaust manifold to your FSDE. The FSZE should be 4-2-1. Did you not feel the difference in power delivery compared to the red mobile?

The differences between the FSDE (AU/NZ spec) vs FSZE (pre July 2002):

FSDE = 131hp @ 6000 / 126lbs/ft (174Nm) @ 4000 / Compression Ratio 9.7:1 / Redline 6500
FSZE = 168hp @ 6800 / 131lbs/ft (178Nm) @ 5000 / Compression Ratio 10.4:1 / Redline 7000

FSZE should also has different ECU to your SP20. And cannot be swapped around (different engine loom). Different intake cams also. Exhaust cams are the same (AU/NZ spec).

So in other words, start swapping everything over from the red to the blue NOW!! (drinks)

There was two different 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds, one came with the Mazdaspeed variant and the other a simple cast jobby by comparison (just as an fyi).

The looms are the same pending awd iirc. Intake cams are the same between DE (AU/JDM/NZ) and ZE though :)

Thanks for the info Ice! Need to dig a bit further into the blue car at some point.

Still waiting on a clutch, the guy who is getting me a good deal has been busy, which is fair enough and all good as I've been chipping away at some small things while I've got the access.

So far I've tucked some wires out of sight (the loom that runs across the top of the firewall now runs inside the scuttle panel, washer hose is behind the guard, headlight wiring is tidied up, that sort of thing) Painted a few more accessories and swapped radios between the 2 cars. The blue car got the fancy double DIN unit and the red car gets the mechless single DIN, more room for gauges!
20200127_162739.jpg

One of the very first mods I did was nolathane front swaybar bushes, way back before I joined here. Seeing as it's slightly easier to get at them with no motor I pulled them out to check, lube and replace if needed. A lot of people don't like nolathane as they don't last long, but these bushes look brand new! I chucked some more lube on them and threw them back in....
20200201_153038.jpg

And promptly stripped one of the threads on the subframe :(
20200201_171304.jpg

Cue an hour of swearing at bolts and wrangling the steering rack, now the subframe is out and waiting for me to try a helicoil for the first time. Should be fun!

Was hoping to avoid pulling the subframe but it's not a massive job and gives me a reason to clean it and replace all the other bushes while it's out

There's a four day weekend coming up so I've got my fingers crossed I can get this clutch sorted and get this subframe back in before then, wish me luck!

Good news! I have a clutch, and an engine crane (they were on sale, it was nearly the same price as renting one for a weekend) so I can swing that motor back in soon...

Bad news;
Somebody decided my blue car was super cool and fast and stole it from my driveway, crashed it into something and dumped it about 1km away :( Police have done their thing so now it's up to the insurance assessors.
bonnet side view.jpg
radiator area.jpg

They've hit something square on the front. Bonnet, top rail, rad supports, rad and coolers are all bent. I'm hoping it's repairable, I really really don't want to scrap this car!

Damn scum! The scumbag lives nearby. And is probably a little s*** joyriding.

If NZ is anything like AUS, insurance will right it off. Cost too much to repair compared to value. I'd buy it back with the insurance payout (don't ever take their first offer) and repair it.

Thanks guys, yep probably a local going for a joyride, apparently there's been heaps of these lately.
Everyone that's seen it has gone 'yep, that's a write-off' so it's not looking too great for this car.
I've been thinking about repairing it, but I think that if it gets written off then it gets deregistered as well which will mean a major hassle to undo, plus it's been thrashed without coolant so the engine is suspect too.
We'll see what happens with insurance...

Sorry to hear about your car.
Maybe you'll get lucky and find a suitable replacement.

I have no idea how it works there but I'm fairly certain there are ways to buy back a car from insurance and keep a clean title here.

By some miracle, the engine is back in!
20200301_172344.jpg

I did it by myself, and somehow managed to do it without busting any knuckles or scratching any paint! the hardest part was wrestling the gearbox on to the clutch and engine. It's on and everything moves nicely now.

Glad to have this milestone achieved, now the heavy lifting and major maintenance is done it's a downward slope to completion and driving again! Next project is to button up the brakes and get all the fluids back in the engine before finishing off the SC piping and getting stuff tidied up

The blue car has gone to a towyard for now, waiting to hear what the insurance wants to do with it. I've got my eye on a replacement already.... 1998 BJ1 Familia SP20 with a manual and AWD!

Fingers crossed it works out, it's the top spec of our cars that I've wanted for ages so I'm hoping I can get it.

nice! one thing worth mentioning, the passenger side motor mount inserts, i've seen other people use a skinny bolt with some washers to hold in the inserts better. the zipties never really make it sit in the mount completely. it bothered me to know that i never learned about the bolts until after i went onto solid mounts lol.

nice! one thing worth mentioning, the passenger side motor mount inserts, i've seen other people use a skinny bolt with some washers to hold in the inserts better. the zipties never really make it sit in the mount completely. it bothered me to know that i never learned about the bolts until after i went onto solid mounts lol.

Thanks 323, yep will probably replace the zip ties as the outside insert is bulging badly, thanks for the tip! Still waiting on the gearbox mount inserts from AWR but they should be easy enough to get in once they arrive.

Nooooo not the ZE!!!! What a little twat, that really sucks. Coming from someone who "totaled" a pro5 last year, they will probably total it due to expenses. I had no structural damage just door and fender damage and they wrote it up to 4100$ for repair and estimated the value at 2200 and that was after I dug out the interior to prove I had it, only got offered 1700 before that. Hopefully your deal with the awd sp20 will work out, i really want to see an awd BJ build

Yep that's pretty much what happened, too much front end damage and the motor is suspect from being run hard without coolant so it is now officially written off :( it was valued at $3600and it's amazing how quick body shop work adds up when they're replacing whole front sections.

AWD deal fell through, the car was tidy but had some really weird shifter issues, and another guy offered more than the asking price. Still got my eye out for another P5 though!

Damn, well here's to scoring another p5 for a good price! Dang 3600$ huh? My car must be more clapped out than I thought! Red wagon seems to be coming along well, I see an engine in that bay. You just working on wiring and accessories at this point? Maybe supercharger stuff eh?

Yep, 3600 is about mid range for a Sport20 here, really good ones still go for around 4k and there's an '03 AWD manual in mint condition for sale at 6k, waaaay out of my budget range lol.

I did however manage to find another blue sport20 and picked it up yesterday! I'm getting deja vu looking at it lol. Feels good to have my own car again

Little jobs on the red car for now, PS stuff back on, some wiring back in. Contemplating moving the battery but not 100% on that yet. Painting and cleaning more brackets and re-wrapping the engine loom foo.

Here's a question; on the feed/return fuel lines on the firewall, there's a little round orange clip that I swear was loose when I pulled the motor, how do these clip in to the plastic fuel lines? The manual isn't too helpful for this bit. I'll grab a photo at some point to help explain it.

Weekend progress report;
Driveshafts back in, hubs cleaned up and wheelarches scrubbed of all that dirt
Coilovers in, swaybar links ended up being a tad too long and were hitting on the control arms so I had to cut 15mm off the length
20200315_175622.jpg

New stainless brake lines in, calipers in, looking gooooood :)
20200315_182240.jpg

Filling out the wheels now, the stock brakes looked tiny in there!
20200315_182647.jpg

Aaand finally, the supercharger is mounted up, pending the outlet manifold which needs reworking
20200315_182319.jpg

Slow and steady progress so far, better than nothing!

Looks so good man, I cant wait to hear that thing start up. You gotta do a sound clip, are those some BCs I spy in there? Also what endlinks are those?

Thanks! Yep, video will be taken!

This one was before I pulled the motor, SC isn't plumbed in so its way louder than it will be once finished

Yep, BC gold coilovers hiding in there, Endlinks are from whiteline and are really well made (just a bit long lol)

Haha, it's somewhere between a horny cat and a wood plane in terms of sound. Hopefully it'll be less wild with everything plumbed in!

Aiming for this

This weekend's progress: (no pics sorry)
Semi-regular Pick-A-Part pilgrimage to get some parts for the new daily (a starter, and drivers door lock). Got some bonnet struts from a BMW for the red car. Need to make some brackets and figure out how to make it fit which should be fun! I cut the factory bonnet prop bracket off when I painted the bay so I have to get these struts to work lol

The daily had a sticking door catch that required two hands and a knee to open, so I replaced the whole unit which saved mucking about trying to clean the old one. It's also got a starting issue that I thought was a bad starter solenoid but is apparently something else.(might be a bad connection or relay) Got some good hand contortionist practise in getting the starter in and out lol

Back