Lane Keeping Assist Behavior

Apollothedog

2019 CX-5 GTR
I noticed that the CX5 steering wheel will vibrate or shake when I get close to touch the lanes, but it doesn't try and steer me back towards the center. I understand that this feature isn't lane centering, but had thought it would at least nudge me back in the lane. If I don't intervene it will cross over to the next lane. Is this the way its supposed to work. My CRV does have lane centering and will auto steer for a few seconds. I didn't expect the CX5 to auto steer but did think it would "push" me back into the lane.

The nudge is very subtle. It will not steer you back into a lane. Mazda system is meant as an aid and not a autonomous steering system. At highway speeds it can offer a subtle assist if your slightly drifting out of a lane.

It is only a warning that can be set to a Beep, Rumble through the speakers, or vibrate your steering wheel. You have to steer the car back into your lane.

Mine gives steering wheel resistance. I use my signal when changing lanes, but not when merging onto the freeway at the end of the merge lane with no traffic. Mazda picks up on the seam between sections of pavement and resists me crossing that line. It is physically resisting my steering input, not just the rumble, but it doesn't put up much of a fight.

Check the lane keep assist settings in the infotainment system.
You have some adjustability there in terms of warnings and sensitivity.
I don't think it is strong enough to self steer the car, but I also don't think that's the intent.
Mine will vibrate and gently resist my steering input, but like someone else said, you can easily overpower it.

1592366524068.png

Steering wheel does vibrate but continues drifting to the other lane, much like the dotted arrow in the picture above. My CRV will keep it centered and behave more like the solid arrow. I have kept my hands off the wheel so I wouldn't unintentianally steer it to monitor the behavior of both vehicles.

Steering wheel does vibrate but continues drifting to the other lane, much like the dotted arrow in the picture above. My CRV will keep it centered and behave more like the solid arrow. I have kept my hands off the wheel so I wouldn't unintentianally steer it to monitor the behavior of both vehicles.

Hi @Apollothedog, I checked the 2019 Owner's Manual and found this:

If you scroll down to the section titled "Steering operation assist OFF (non-operational)", it mentions the Steering Wheel Assist button on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. If that button is illuminated, the steering wheel assist is disabled, but the indicators and warnings may still function (which sounds like what is happening for you currently).

Keep in mind that I found this info in the Canadian owner's manual, but I think the US manual info might be the same for this section.

Aside from that, if the light on the button is off and you're still not getting any steering wheel feedback, I'd take the car to the dealer to troubleshoot and fix the issue under warranty.

It's not illuminated. when it is illuminated, the wheel no longer vibrates when I drift over to the other lane. Guess I'll need to visit the dealership.

Thanks!

It's not illuminated. when it is illuminated, the wheel no longer vibrates when I drift over to the other lane. Guess I'll need to visit the dealership.

Thanks!

Damn, was hoping it would be an easy fix, lol. Keep us posted!

I noticed that the CX5 steering wheel will vibrate or shake when I get close to touch the lanes, but it doesn't try and steer me back towards the center. I understand that this feature isn't lane centering, but had thought it would at least nudge me back in the lane. If I don't intervene it will cross over to the next lane. Is this the way its supposed to work. My CRV does have lane centering and will auto steer for a few seconds. I didn't expect the CX5 to auto steer but did think it would "push" me back into the lane.

I previously owned 11 Honda vehicles - five of which were equipped with Honda's Lane Keeping Assist System. I rarely used it because it slowly weaved from one side of the lane to the other as if it were drunk and often didn't detect the lane markings. I did find it useful for "taking the wheel" for a few seconds during a sneeze, though. Otherwise, I can center the vehicle better than the vehicle can and it would often detect long cracks, skid marks, and pavement overlays as lane markings and try to steering me out of my lane. I find these systems to be novelties at best.

I've noticed that Mazda's LAS (Lane keep Assist System) is closer to Honda's RDM (Road Departure Mitigation) in that it doesn't intervene until you've pretty much reached the edge of the lane at which point it will alert and apply correctional steering torque. The amount of steering torque my CX-5 applies is significantly lower than the amount my Hondas would apply.

Honda's LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) is closer to Ford's Lane Centering feature that attempts (with varying degrees of success) to keep you from getting too close to the edge of your lane.

Mazda's implementation is a safety feature, not a convenience feature. You are not meant to allow the car to steer for you. It just tries to help remind/intervene if the driver may be failing to safely control the vehicle.

Otherwise, I can center the vehicle better than the vehicle can and it would often detect long cracks, skid marks, and pavement overlays as lane markings and try to steering me out of my lane. I find these systems to be novelties at best.

Toyotas Safety Sense 2.0 took it from novelty to useful feature on highways for my ‘19 RAV4. It doesn’t bounce between the lines like older attempts. It actually does a fairly good job at navigating slightly windy rural roads but the lanes need to have somewhat clear markings. I was skeptical but their latest attempt made it a feature I’d shop for if the execution was on par with what Im accustomed to now.

The Honda LKAS works the same as the Toyota. It is semi-autonomous driving for a few seconds. It is effective in keeping the CRV centered and will navigate curves in the road. I did think the Mazda would behave in a similar fashion and was a bit disappointed to learn that it wouldn't. But as per my above posts, I have not experienced any lane correction at all. I'm going to call the dealer today and find get it checked out,

The Honda LKAS works the same as the Toyota. It is semi-autonomous driving for a few seconds. It is effective in keeping the CRV centered and will navigate curves in the road. I did think the Mazda would behave in a similar fashion and was a bit disappointed to learn that it wouldn't. But as per my above posts, I have not experienced any lane correction at all. I'm going to call the dealer today and find get it checked out,
For sure, dealer needs to check it. You should get the one correction before it gives up hope on you 😁

Spoke to my dealer and MazdaUSA, both said that the CX5 does not correct drifting but only warns via wheel shaking/vibrating and yellow lines on dash and hud. It was a consistent message. My salesman did say otherwise. Very confused on how others are getting the subtle correction. Can someone try it and keep their hands off the wheel to see if the CX5 actually does self correct?

Spoke to my dealer and MazdaUSA, both said that the CX5 does not correct drifting but only warns via wheel shaking/vibrating and yellow lines on dash and hud. It was a consistent message. My salesman did say otherwise. Very confused on how others are getting the subtle correction. Can someone try it and keep their hands off the wheel to see if the CX5 actually does self correct?

Sounds like some people including your dealer and Mazda need to read the owner's manual. ;)

"The LAS & LDWS alerts the driver that the vehicle may be deviating from its lane and it
provides steering assistance to help the driver stay within the vehicle lanes.
The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects the white lines (yellow lines) of the vehicle
lane in which the vehicle is traveling and if the system determines that the vehicle may
deviate from its lane, it operates the electric power steering to assist the driver's steering
operation. The system also alerts the driver by activating a lane departure warning sound,
vibrating the steering wheel, and indicating an alert in the display. Use the system when you
drive the vehicle on roads with white (yellow) lines such as expressways and highways.
Refer to Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) on page 4-207."

I assure you that my 2020 CX-5 does apply steering torque and will nudge the vehicle back into the lane, but I have to drift right up to the lane marking. I've repeated this test multiple times with the same results.

Hondas have both RDM (Road Departure Mitigation) and LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System). I often see people confusing the two features because there is some overlap, but they are two distinct functions.

Honda's RDM stays on (unless you turn it off). If you begin to leave your lane, it will display a message, shake the steering wheel, and steer the vehicle back into the lane if you begin to leave a marked lane - similar to Mazda's LAS (Lane keep Assist System). Unlike LAS, RDM will also apply the brakes which can be reduce speed and lower impact forces if the driver loses consciousness, for example.

Honda's LKAS is closer to "lane centering". It must be manually activated after each restart. It tries to keep the vehicle from getting too close to the lane markings and will do so with varying degrees off success along with negotiating gentle curves for up to 15 seconds with your hands completely off the wheel (at which point you'll get a "Steering Required" warning and it will stop helping steer the vehicle.

Sounds like a tech ride-along is in order. NA Mazdas do not self-correct or self centre as aggressively as other brands do, but your CX-5 should indeed crank the wheel back a tiny bit, at least enough to change direction slightly.

It can be confusing because in some other markets, Mazdas do have actual lane-centering tech. Here in NA, it's basically a warning system.

Sounds like a tech ride-along is in order. NA Mazdas do not self-correct or self centre as aggressively as other brands do, but your CX-5 should indeed crank the wheel back a tiny bit, at least enough to change direction slightly.

It can be confusing because in some other markets, Mazdas do have actual lane-centering tech. Here in NA, it's basically a warning system.

I agree. My mother in laws 2017 definitely gives you a single and slight nudge right as you’re about to cross the line.

Back