Lane Change Warning/Control

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I've only had my car for a few days but have noticed it tugging on my steering wheel a couple of times, specifically when pulling out to pass on a two lane road. My daily commute involves about 14 kilometers of a mountain road that is mostly all curves, some even switchbacks. The rest consists of stop and go city driving. I wonder if I should just turn this feature off except for highway trips. Would turning it off compromise any other feature of the car?

If you use your turn signal when changing lanes, the alert will not happen.

This. Also, as far as I know, turning it off will not interfere with any other systems.

If you use your turn signal when changing lanes, the alert will not happen.

I agree and that's just the proper way one should drive. But unfortunately the BSM is way too picky for real-life driving conditions. So you're just trading one annoying alert for another. Of course BSM could also be disabled (hand)

I agree and that's just the proper way one should drive. But unfortunately the BSM is way too picky for real-life driving conditions. So you're just trading one annoying alert for another. Of course BSM could also be disabled (hand)

I don't think he's talking about BSM. I think he's referring to the feedback in the steering wheel when you touch the right or left lane stripes. In mine, if you wander a little left or right you can feel the steering wheel tugging.

I don't think he's talking about BSM. I think he's referring to the feedback in the steering wheel when you touch the right or left lane stripes. In mine, if you wander a little left or right you can feel the steering wheel tugging.

Apparently you didn't get my point: "you're just trading one annoying alert for another". If you use turn signals when changing lanes, you avoid OPs complaint about unwanted steering wheel feedback but you get frequent nags from BSM unless you have many car-lengths of clearance. So most BSM alerts are false alarms for perfectly safe lane-changes.

Apparently you didn't get my point: "you're just trading one annoying alert for another". If you use turn signals when changing lanes, you avoid OPs complaint about unwanted steering wheel feedback but you get frequent nags from BSM unless you have many car-lengths of clearance. So most BSM alerts are false alarms for perfectly safe lane-changes.

To be fair, a perfectly safe lane change is subjective. In some areas, tailgating and aggressive driving is more commonplace, so the BSM system is more naggy to those people. In other areas, driving is more relaxed and there is a lot more space between cars, so the BSM is rarely triggered.

The BSM system also takes into account the speed that you are traveling at vs. the speed the other car is traveling at. If I'm behind a slow-moving vehicle and I want to get into the left lane where traffic is moving faster, the BSM will likely trigger even when the car in the left lane is many car lengths behind me. The BSM warning gets triggered because if you maintain the same speed you were at when you flipped your signal on, you could be read ended by the car in the left lane. Of course if you accelerate during/after the lane change, the collision is avoided, but by then the BSM warning has already gone off.

EDIT: Pitter, you should be able to just turn it off for that 14km stretch. In the CX-9, there's a button to enable/disable lane keep assist to the left of the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the button is in the same place in the CX-5.

I've only had my car for a few days but have noticed it tugging on my steering wheel a couple of times, specifically when pulling out to pass on a two lane road. My daily commute involves about 14 kilometers of a mountain road that is mostly all curves, some even switchbacks. The rest consists of stop and go city driving. I wonder if I should just turn this feature off except for highway trips. Would turning it off compromise any other feature of the car?

That is exactly what you should do, and what I do: turn lane keep assist OFF except when on the highway. It won't affect anything else, and it will stop interfering with your steering.

That said, if you use your directional before you pull out to pass, it won't fight you even if the system is on. And it only operates if it can see both the center line and the fog line.

Thanks very much for the replies. Very well explained. I can see the usefulness of it if you're driving on US interstates to keep you from drifting into the next lane or even on long straight sections of two lane road. I will definitely use it on my highway trips. I can recall an incident where it would have been a very good thing! I was on a highway drive when I spotted a salvage yard, you don't see many here. I was looking to see if I spotted any interesting vehicles as I passed (you do see some weird one here) and drifted into the oncoming traffic lane. Missed an oncoming car by a whisker. Phew!

Last edited:
It*s the one safety feature I turn off because I drive to work over a very twisty route and straighten out the curves which obviously triggers the warnings. It is switched off by pressing a button down by the steering column and on the latest models with silver wheels it stays off rather than defaulting to on at start up.

You can change the sensitivity of the warning in the settings menu.

Back