2017~2024 Kooky Computer Or What?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Received delivery of my Signature end of August. Took it in for the required 5000 kilometer maintenance when that came around and all was well, no surprises. The other day took it in for the 10,000 kilometer maintenance and lots of surprises. First off the dash showed 10,320 kilometers when I drove it in to their shop, but Mazda's printed out report of the maintenance service showed 11,325 kilometers. Second: for the last ten thousand kilometers every time I fill the tank to the brim the dash has showed that I have a little over four hundred kilometer range before refueling. Like clock work. After retrieving my vehicle following the 10,000 kilometer service I stopped by a gas station and tanked up. The dash then showed I had a nearly 600 kilometer range before refueling. Well would that it were true but I don't believe it. Why a suddenly vastly improved milage?? Somehow some one is playing games with my car's computer. I will have to go by the dealer and ask what's the real deal. I don't want to go on a trip and think I can go a lot further before tanking up than I actually can and run out of gas. Any ideas what happened?

You should never fill your fuel tank to the brim because you can load up the charcoal canister which is part of the emission system. Maybe the "overfill" messes things up. Run a few tanks of fuel before going to the dealer. Ed

Out of curiosity, what maintenance did you require at 5k and 10k?

All I see in the manual is lube/oil/filter at 8k.

Why didn't you ask the dealer when it was in for the oil change? I would suggest if you take a trip to be safe fill up when it reads half full.

Although service printed out 11,325km was that just a mistake or did your odo jump 1005km while it was in for service or did the service guys take it for a long joyride?

If prior to your dealer visit the range only went up to 400 after a fillup, it almost looks like the car was set for miles and not kilometres. I show over 700kms range on my 6 after a fillup.
Also, don't "top up" the gas tank after the auto shut off kicks in on the pump.
It also looks like there was a misprint of a thousand Kms on the invoice. They probably drove 5Kms. not 1,005. Even then, why would they need to drive it 5 kms just for an oil change?
Next time you bring it in, make a note of the exact Kms on the odometer, and then check again after you get it back.

Thank you. I will stop topping up. I think I will go back Monday with the maintenance printout and ask what's going on.

Likely a keying error by the dealer on the 1000 error. May have updated software that reset the computer and you first miles were high mileage ones.

If your car's odometer reads 10,3XX and not 11,3XX, it was probably a typo made on their end.

If I remember right, your auto up/down windows were not working when you picked up the car, right? If so, the sudden change in predicted range is likely because the battery was disconnected long enough for the ECU to need to "relearn". After you drive it for a few tanks, the estimated range should go back to normal.

Well now I don't remember if I had an issue with the windows when I picked it up but your explanation about the battery and ECU learning certainly makes sense.

Back