Just Took My First Trip With My New CX-5......

Did they make the seats more comfortable in the 2016 models? The reason I asked is I drive 300 highway miles each way to my other office twice a month and my behind is numb after driving just 2.5 of the almost 5 hour trip. No issues making the trip non stop in my other car.

Seats are very personal. Your results WILL vary.

Some of us have figured out how to get a bunch of fun out of driving the CX-5 Its not raw power, it is handling.

Mazda CX-5
2014-mazda-cx-5-front-three-quarter-turn.jpg

Toster
sunbeam-toaster-model-t-9-01z.jpg

Yeah, yeah, there's always one...
500hp-turbo-v6-honda-odyssey-fast-lap-racetrack.jpg

I just bought a cheap commuter SUV...and I use it as a cheap commuter SUV. It's more fun in the corners than some SUV's, but that's not its purpose. Much like the toaster you pictured is sexier looking I guess than some other toasters, lol

Mine is plenty quiet, more than few cars we owned or still own.
As is, I prefer its 50 lb weight advantage over the 2016s.

Have you actually weighed it? I actually weighed my performance vehicles, and guess what? MFR ratings are BS. I learned first hand they don't weigh what they are claimed to weigh, most of the time, and the variance was well over 50#.

Yeah, yeah, there's always one...

I just bought a cheap commuter SUV...and I use it as a cheap commuter SUV. It's more fun in the corners than some SUV's, but that's not its purpose. Much like the toaster you pictured is sexier looking I guess than some other toasters, lol

OK now I sort of understand. You have chosen to use your CX-5 as a appliance. Cars are personal. A lot of people love huge iron with even bigger engines that accelerate like crazy. I always found them boring. I enjoy pushing a SAAB 96 down a dirt fire road at 65 MPH much more. To me a good handling car is a joy I huge car that has 500 plus HP and wont follow a twisty road is not a appliance to me it is useless. I literally have no use for it unless I was building a saw mill.

Different cars for different people.

OK now I sort of understand. You have chosen to use your CX-5 as a appliance. Cars are personal. A lot of people love huge iron with even bigger engines that accelerate like crazy. I always found them boring. I enjoy pushing a SAAB 96 down a dirt fire road at 65 MPH much more. To me a good handling car is a joy I huge car that has 500 plus HP and wont follow a twisty road is not a appliance to me it is useless. I literally have no use for it unless I was building a saw mill.

Different cars for different people.

I get that, but the CX-5 handles like a pregnant yak. Now, if this were a Miata, Corvette, Porsche, etc. I would agree with you, but the CX-5 is a slug in every possible way, when you compare it to an actual performance type vehicle. It barely breakes 0.80 on the skidpad. It wallows terribly on quick transitions. It doesn't have enough rubber under it. It does not have enough power to shift its weight around in corners nearly as effectively as a real performance vehicle. It is not meant to handle well in comparison to an actual sports vehicle, nor does it. It's an appliance that people are using as something else. Much like a GT3 is a sports car, that you would be using "incorrectly" to go on a camping trip in. Could you? Sure. But I'd think you were high as a kite.

You know what I am seeing? A bunch of middle-aged and older guys who, for family reasons, have been forced into a CX-5, and chose it because it fit their budgets, and was the least-lame choice of the bunch, and are trying to pretend it's something it's not.

I, on the other hand, got it because it's cheap, works, and I want to spent money on a house and not a car right now. That is why I am driving a CX-5. It's efficient, I can haul friends around, and my D/I ratio is happy with it. Also, it got great reliability reviews. If I had found a Forester, or Outback, or whatever else first, and the reliability reviews were the same, that would be the toaster I'm rockin'. It has nothing to do with its lack-luster on-road performance, nor am I going to kid myself about it being capable in any sense of the term, unless we are talking about it vs. a 1980's Camaro or something.

Don't get me wrong, I love my CX-5. I just know what it is, and what it isn't, because I've actually owned vehicles that handle well. This, is not one of them. For a tall compact SUV? Sure, it does great. But that's like saying that Ray Charles shot a basketball well...for a blind guy.

Last edited:
sorry to here about your CX-5 as I said different cars for different people. I have never driven a pregnant yak but I have driven a Corvette. I prefer my CX-5. BTW. I have taken every car I have owned camping.

sorry to here about your CX-5 as I said different cars for different people. I have never driven a pregnant yak but I have driven a Corvette. I prefer my CX-5. BTW. I have taken every car I have owned camping.

You may prefer your CX-5, but your CX-5 is not going to be keeping up with a Corvette in any way. Not even at the gas pump on a road trip.

*okay, fine, maybe in the snow or in some farmer's field, lol!

and don't be sorry about my CX-5. I love it! It does exactly what I expected it to do, and what I bought it to do. Which wasn't to race with, lol!

You may prefer your CX-5, but your CX-5 is not going to be keeping up with a Corvette in any way.

You're comparing a CUV with 8.7" of ground clearance and 30 MPG to a Corvette? (hand)

I bought my CX-5 to haul stuff between my home and ski cabin and shuttle mountain sports enthusiasts on a twisty road to a ski area with the official world record for the most snow in a single season. Corvettes need not apply. Not enough cabin space, not enough snow/ice performance, not enough ground clearance, not enough luggage capacity and too much gas. Corvettes are a single purpose vehicle. I've made trips where the Corvette, even with tire chains, would never have arrived at the destination. The CX-5 did it without batting an eye.

When people say the CX-5 handles exceptionally well, it is relative to it's CUV class and capabilities. The CX-5 is a jack of all trades. I used it to haul cement board, tile and mortar and tools to build a custom tile shower and radiantly heated tile floor for my ski cabin bathroom remodel. Yes, I have a pick-up truck too but it guzzles gas and makes the twisty road to my cabin a tedious driving chore. The CX-5 handles beautifully and makes the trip fun.

I hope this adds a little perspective to your misunderstanding. (thumb)

okay, fine, maybe in the snow or in some farmer's field, lol!

Maybe in the snow?? Lol really. It won't even be close. The amount of torque a vette puts out and being rwd, it wouldn't even be close. Not to mention the significantly higher practicality of the cx5. No idea how you're comparing such vehicles. Completely on different spectrums.

I'd absolutely love a corvette as a side car but the cx5 still delivers a fun experience. Yes of course it wouldn't keep up with a vette or similar car but as long as its fun, that's all that matters. Something that is extremely rare cuvs.

You're comparing a CUV with 8.7" of ground clearance and 30 MPG to a Corvette? (hand)
To be fair, many C5 owners get 30mpg doing 80 on the freeway. I believe it, as my more "draggy" C6 Z07 with a much larger motor got 26. Also, yes, I am. So is the guy who thinks his CX-5 "handles", lol!

I bought my CX-5 to haul stuff between my home and ski cabin and shuttle mountain sports enthusiasts on a twisty road to a ski area with the official world record for the most snow in a single season. Exactly. You're doing what the thing is MEANT to do.Corvettes need not apply. Not enough cabin space, not enough snow/ice performance, not enough ground clearance, not enough luggage capacity and too much gas. Exactly, exept on the gas. Corvette gets similar mileage to the 2.5L models if you keep your foot somewhat out of it. They also have huge gas tanks. Road trip MACHINES! 30+mpg doing 80mph with a 20 gallon tank. That was the C5 model, though. I think the C6's are only pulling very high 20's under similar conditions. The Z06/ZR1 doing less so. Corvettes are a single purpose vehicle. I've made trips where the Corvette, even with tire chains, would never have arrived at the destination. No doubt. They are NOT for "multi-purpose".The CX-5 did it without batting an eye.

When people say the CX-5 handles exceptionally well, it is relative to it's CUV class and capabilities. No, I distinctly see someone saying they "like their CX5 better than a Corvette" when the topic was handling, in this thread...The CX-5 is a jack of all trades. I used it to haul cement board, tile and mortar and tools to build a custom tile shower and radiantly heated tile floor for my ski cabin bathroom remodel. Yes, I have a pick-up truck too but it guzzles gas and makes the twisty road to my cabin a tedious driving chore. The CX-5 handles beautifully and makes the trip fun. Yep.

I hope this adds a little perspective to your misunderstanding. (thumb)

I don't think I misunderstood. I'm not the one taking my CX5 to the race track. I'm using it like a compact SUV...which is what I bought it to use it for...because that's what it is.

Maybe in the snow?? Lol really. It won't even be close. The amount of torque a vette puts out and being rwd, it wouldn't even be close. Not to mention the significantly higher practicality of the cx5. No idea how you're comparing such vehicles. Completely on different spectrums.

I'd absolutely love a corvette as a side car but the cx5 still delivers a fun experience. Yes of course it wouldn't keep up with a vette or similar car but as long as its fun, that's all that matters. Something that is extremely rare cuvs.

Okay, I can't disagree with all of that. I will say that the Corvette only puts out as much torque as your right foot tells it to, though, and yes, they do fine in snow if you put the right tires on them. You do know where they are made, right? Understand that the plant manager drives them around in the snow frequently at the Wixom facility (engines), and the BG facility (assembly).

18nczo7dknz5mjpg.jpg

LOL! That looks like a flat road, no hills or curves in sight, with everyone cued up single file crawling along at 25 mph. Plus, it's only 1/2" deep and not building up at 3" per hour. I'm wondering why you even posted that silly picture. There is not a car made that couldn't handle those driving conditions. The Corvette is close to the least capable. In fact, a 1910 Model T would be more capable in those wimpy conditions.

Why are we even discussing this? (dunno)

LOL! That looks like a flat road, no hills or curves in sight, with everyone cued up single file crawling along at 25 mph. Plus, it's only 1/2" deep and not building up at 3" per hour. I'm wondering why you even posted that silly picture. There is not a car made that couldn't handle those driving conditions. The Corvette is close to the least capable. In fact, a 1910 Model T would be more capable in those wimpy conditions.

Why are we even discussing this? (dunno)

After a 60 mile trip in my 2.0 manuel transmission, going 60 to 65. I ended up with 45 mpg.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 295
My only nagging complaint is that I wish it were more insulated from noise. The ride is fine. But I would have preferred another 30-75# of fluff in there to damp the sound.

The 2016 is pretty quiet in my mind. Not luxury car silent, but far better than my 2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback. That was almost insultingly loud for a new $22k vehicle. If you weren't on new smooth pavement, you basically had to yell at each other. The road noise was one of the primary reasons I traded it in for my CX5.

As a new owner, any comparisons of a CX-5 to any performance car is just ridiculous. We had a Santa Fe and this car is better, for me. Much more comfortable. Much quieter, etc. Everyone has their "passions". Cars aren't mine. I'm a beer guy. That's what I choose to focus my hobby on. I just wanted a reliable and comfortable vehicle to drive to and from work. The fact that it gets great gas mileage, is relatively fun to drive, I can haul moderate amounts of stuff and I don't have to step down into it, are all pluses.

As a new owner, any comparisons of a CX-5 to any performance car is just ridiculous.

(iagree)

And yet the way it handles in the corner for a CUV is just uncanny and worth mentioning. And if a car doesn't put a smile on your face it becomes just another appliance!

(iagree)

And yet the way it handles in the corner for a CUV is just uncanny and worth mentioning. And if a car doesn't put a smile on your face it becomes just another appliance!

Exactly why I don't feel bad that I didn't give the 16 Tucson a look. The new tucson has some awesome technology, certainly more than the cx5. Not by much though. However, coming from a 13 elantra I told myself never again will I buy a Hyundai. Was a good little car but my god was it a horrible driving machine. Lifeless explains it best. Now the cx5, quite amazing how it can put such a smile on your face. And that will outlast the "coolness" of any tech feature.

Back