Just Took My First Trip With My New CX-5......

Exactly why I don't feel bad that I didn't give the 16 Tucson a look. The new tucson has some awesome technology, certainly more than the cx5. Not by much though. However, coming from a 13 elantra I told myself never again will I buy a Hyundai. Was a good little car but my god was it a horrible driving machine. Lifeless explains it best. Now the cx5, quite amazing how it can put such a smile on your face. And that will outlast the "coolness" of any tech feature.

We looked at the Tucson and while nice enough car, it seemed like just a smaller Santa Fe, which we traded in. We really didn't mind the Santa Fe, but it had one issue that bothered me. The plastic surround on the passenger seat broke 2-3 times and while Hyundai fixed in under warranty, their explaination for why we were having the problem (as well as many others on the web) is how we were getting in and out of the car. We leased the car and couldn't see paying for a car that we knew was going to have an recurring problem. I kind of disagree about the technology being better on the Tucson. Only thing that comes standard on it that I wish came standard on the CX-5 is Siriusxm. Stuns me that other automakers don't do have it standard. I love the CX-5 so far.

The GT w/ Tech has Sirius Xm. But I have never used it. They mail me subscription stuff all the time.

Not sure if it's part of the GT package or the Tech package.

Having said that, I was thoroughly comfortable on a 300 mile trip a few weeks back.

I think it comes on the GT. But don't understand why it wouldn't come on all levels like it does with Hyundai and Kia. Honda is the same way. Can't get it unless you get the top trim.

Another thing I like about this generation of CX-5's is the styling.......IMHO they are a very eye friendly work of body engineering. As a former professional detailer in my younger days, I can really appreciate this......with some outstanding color choices such as Deep Crystal Blue Mica (my favorite), Titanium Flash and Soul Red. The vinyl undercladding is not overdone and looks good with any color. Geez, the wheel arch moldings on the '16 Subie Outback I originally ordered and then canceled had them available as a $400 option.......with the CX-5's they come standard.

And then there are those 19" wheels on the GT's.......just loooove the appearance of them. They just added another phase to my obsessive/compulsive behavior.........keeping them clean and free of brake dust on the outer and inners - every chance I get! (rockon)

OC

(iagree)

And yet the way it handles in the corner for a CUV is just uncanny and worth mentioning. And if a car doesn't put a smile on your face it becomes just another appliance!
It is to me too. I have driven some decent handling cars and this one is pretty amazing at any sane street pace. How many G's it can pull is irrelevant unless you are racing. A MGA on skinny street tires is going to be more fun to drive than an Avalon on slicks even when the Avalon is pulling more G and will blow it away in straight line speed.

And here is a second opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km_NDhZ3uqE

How many G's it can pull is irrelevant unless you are racing.

Well, yes and no. Sometimes I just like to go around a sharp corner as fast as possible without scrubbing off too much speed. But what unobtanium misses is that maximum G's is largely determined by tire choice. ALso, if maximum g's is an important criteria, you are better off with the lighter 2.0L engine because the weight distribution is more balanced and the electronic stability control will not kick in as easily. The lighter 2013 CX-5 with 2.0L pulled an impressive .83 g's on the stock Geolanders on Car and Driver's road-holding test. These are the tires that Unobtanium says are complete crap and yet they still managed to beat the competition when mated with the superior chassis of the CX-5:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-manual-test-review

Try that with a Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson or Toyota Rav4!

Great video!

Awesome video! Can't wait to go home and drive. We tend to take our dog out and about a lot in our CX5 and my fianc is always reminding me, "We have a dog in the car!" haha I tell her the dog likes the drive too lol

Back