Just purchased Crys Soul Red CX-5 Sig. What paint sealer or wax aftter first wash?

turbored

Hi!

I just purchased a brand new Crystal Soul Red CX5 Signature and I want to know what product should I apply to the paint after I do its first wash at home? Should I go with a paint sealer like Jet Seal or a good synthetic wax like Meguiars' Ultimate Wax?

Collinite 845 or if you're a glutton for punishment Collinite 476.

I tried some Jescar powerlock which is a sealant I wasn't that impressed.

I would do NOTHING until the paint fully cures.

One guy one here had a dealer cut all the way thru his paint with a buffer - I suspect that may have happened because it was too new...

When you do it, Meguiars' Ultimate is xlnt. and is not really a wax.

I would do NOTHING until the paint fully cures.

One guy one here had a dealer cut all the way thru his paint with a buffer - I suspect that may have happened because it was too new...

When you do it, Meguiars' Ultimate is xlnt. and is not really a wax.

I agree with this. If you can, find out the build date of the car you bought, and try to wait to do anything but wash it for 30-60 days, or 90 if you want to be sure.

For a colour like soul red, I think I'd go with a nice wax like the aforementioned Collinite 845 or Meg's Ultimate. I use Blackfire One Step and it makes my Machine Grey Metallic look great IMO.

I agree with this. If you can, find out the build date of the car you bought, and try to wait to do anything but wash it for 30-60 days, or 90 if you want to be sure.

For a colour like soul red, I think I'd go with a nice wax like the aforementioned Collinite 845 or Meg's Ultimate. I use Blackfire One Step and it makes my Machine Grey Metallic look great IMO.

My last 4 new cars.......Claybar then collinite 845. Collinite 845 every 6-8 months and Optimum no rinse wash and wax (green bottle) in between as needed.

The production date is June 2019, so if one recommendation is to do nothing until 60-90 days after production date in order for the paint to cure, then, is to wash it only without any sealer/ wax application until September or, at least, apply a wax?

Im waiting for my Griots synthetic clay to arrive and already have Carpros Iron X and Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine. Very impressed with the Turtle Wax performance after watching some independent comparisons against other products costing ten times as much.

yes, wash only for now

- what climate conditions are you expecting before Oct.?

the worst things for any paint are rock chips and bird droppings - no wax can do much for those as the uric acid in bird droppings will eat thru it; you need to monitor and flush with water asap

I just bought an Eternal Blue Mica CX-5. I used the same product and procedure that I have used on all my cars for about 10 years. I have tried others in the past but no more.

Use a clay bar to remove any contamination. There shouldnt be much as Mazda cars come wrapped from the factory but be safe. I use Rejex. It is a thin coat polymer that has properties that keep bugs from sticking. It goes on and off very easy. It does have to be cured for 8 hours away from the elements. It should be applied directly to paint and not over a freshly waxed car. Read up on it.

Anybody use Wolfgang High Gloss sealant? It gets rave reviews elsewhere but I*ve never seen it mentioned in the forums I follow. I*m willing to give it a shot but don*t have time just yet.

Anybody use Wolfgang High Gloss sealant? It gets rave reviews elsewhere but I*ve never seen it mentioned in the forums I follow. I*m willing to give it a shot but don*t have time just yet.

Yes, I have used it. It was the very first sealant that I have used and I started with my CX-5 back in 2013. The effort was about the same as wax in terms of applying and removing, but make sure you don't get it on the black plastic. If you do it shows up as white after several days and it is extremely hard to remove from that textured plastic. It lasts weeks on the paint and looks good.

The next sealant that I purchased was Opti-Seal. Super easy to use. After a good car prep, which is the case for all top treatments, it goes on easy, flashes (takes a couple seconds), and then wipes off with microfiber towels with little effort. It can be used on plastic and glass as well with no adverse reaction. Now days I am using coatings and then use Opti-Seal to top coat every so often.

I have not used the Wolfgang in a while and probably will not after finally getting it off the black plastic. (maybe one day I will have a CUV again that doesn't have loads of plastic trim. Not a fan.)
I just got another top coat product that I plan on trying soon. P&S Beadmaker has good reviews on Amazon and Detailing pages.

I have to detail my wife's car next which will be a 10+ hours of cleaning to prepare for the coating. Trying to get myself psyched up for that event. When I did my CX-5 last year it took over 15 hours not counting the cure time for the ceramic coating. Supposedly it will last 4 years. Supposedly

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with that Wolfgang product. $40 for a bottle of that is steep, but I was willing to give it a try if it was fantastic. I*ll try something else because you*re right, I know I*ll hit the trim somewhere on my 2013. SO much plastic.

I*ll be researching the TW product mentioned here. Sounds like I can*t go wrong with that on price alone.

EDIT: you guys saved me a ton of money. I was seriously considering getting the Wolfgang $40 paint sealant and $20 exterior trim protectant. No need! I already have Meguiars Ultimate paste wax. I*ll use that as a base layer. I ordered the TurtleWax Ice seal n shine for store pickup at Walmart. $7 a bottle. That will go on second as a sacrificial later over the paste wax (unless you think that*s backwards, lol). Plus, it*s supposedly good for exterior plastics. Two birds one stone.

Last edited:
I just got another top coat product that I plan on trying soon. P&S Beadmaker has good reviews on Amazon and Detailing pages.

Beadmaker is definitely a good product, but all the hype around it makes it sound like the best thing ever, and it isn't. I haven't even used Opti-Seal, but I'm sure its just as good, if not better, than Beadmaker.

I used a Mothers 2.0 Speed Clay device to clay my new CX 5 and found very few areas that I could feel any contaminants being removed. The Speed Clay 2.0 gets good reviews so I figured that the paint must have remained in excellent condition prior to being delivered to me. In the past I have had excellent results with Zaino products on new cars. But they are very labor intensive for the initial treatment and something easier to apply like Collinite is probably in my future.

Back