Just drove CX30 here in Sweden

:
CX-5 AWD, 2017
This was the CX 30, with 2 litre engine (skyactive G and mild hybrid, about 122bhp). Felt quite sporty, almost like driving BMW 3 and 1 serie (or even VW tiguan). But it comes with a penalty of bouncy ride on uneven surface and more road noise and some floor vibration filtering in to the cabin (compared to my 2017 CX5). The steering is exact as in all Mazda cars, suspension on the stiff side, engine response very good, easy to cross speed limits on the road and very stable on the road. Felt very European both in ride handling and interior design. The interior design and lay out is top notch, putting many more expensive cars to shame. The seats are better than on CX5, hugging on sides. The infotainment module/screen is large and reversing camera has superb resolution. There was a front and birds eye view camera too. Good package but sound isolation, not as good as CX5.

After that we went to drive the latest Toyota Camry and that felt very American, very laid back and very so old in the interior design. It felt like an old, dependable, boring horse that refuses to die or change.

Then we went to drive the Hyundai Ionic, an all electric car and that was a surprise in the good sense. It was quiet, not just the engine noise as was expected but even road noise, very nice handling on the road and good acceleration (but not Tesla level), felt almost like driving a petrol car that is well built. Good regenerative brakes, very good and modern interior lay out, airy open and lots of daylight filtering in to the cabin and with a small horizontal window on the lower part of tail gate showing you more of the road behind you (clever!). The future seems to be good for these electric cars, only if they can sort out the range problem.

Last edited:
Excellent review...Thanks for sharing and for the CX-5 comparison...I'm sure people will find this helpful! (2thumbs)

I've been seeing the CX-30 at the dealer but I don't think I've spotted one on the streets yet here in Japan...Hopefully soon.

Thanks. I have a 24 year old son who forces me (wink) to try out all the new cars/models in the show rooms. This has been going on for the past 10 years even before he got his driving license. Now I test drive one way and he drives the the way back and we talk and compare our thoughts on the car. This has been our leisure time activity when ever he is home. It is our way of bonding.

Thanks. I have a 24 year old son who forces me (wink) to try out all the new cars/models in the show rooms. This has been going on for the past 10 years even before he got his driving license. Now I test drive one way and he drives the the way back and we talk and compare our thoughts on the car. This has been our leisure time activity when ever he is home. It is our way of bonding.

Great idea...Especially for Families with car enthusiasts..:D

If that's the same 2.0 in the mz3s you can retune to 155 hp

Does Mazda of Sweden sell the CX-30 with Skyactive-X and does it have cylinder deactivation?

Yes both are offered. The cylinder deactivation is present in the skyactive G only. The 2.0 litre skyactive G gives you 122HP and the 2.0lit Skyactive X gives you 180HP. I'll try to include the dealer site information for the new CX30, so that you can see (and read in Swedish!) for your self. It shows the first page. Click on to where it says motor (engine) on the upper row and then you will come to the engine choice site.

https://www.mazda.se/bygg-din-mazda/MAZDA CX-30/5WGN/

Last edited:
The CX-30 is getting rave reviews in the USA. Everybody seems to think it is a winner. Hope it sells well.

The CX-30 is getting rave reviews in the USA. Everybody seems to think it is a winner. Hope it sells well.

Being a CX-5 II owner my expectations were a little higher I suppose. It was nice but nothing revolutionary compared to our CX5. How do you make a good car better?

I'm sure its a good car. Just funny because it is pretty much the exact same as the new Mazda 3. Seems like the CX30 is getting more praise in its segment than the Mazda 3 is in her respective segment.
Probably because the competitors in the sub-compact crossover are lackluster...

Being a CX-5 II owner my expectations were a little higher I suppose. It was nice but nothing revolutionary compared to our CX5. How do you make a good car better?

It is much smaller than a CX-5. Honestly, this should be the CX-3. It is not meant to be better than a CX-5, rather a smaller version for younger crowd. The new screen looks nice and the option for a hot spot is nice and hopefully makes its way to the CX-5 and CX-9.

Last edited:
I'm sure its a good car. Just funny because it is pretty much the exact same as the new Mazda 3. Seems like the CX30 is getting more praise in its segment than the Mazda 3 is in her respective segment.
Probably because the competitors in the sub-compact crossover are lackluster...

Probably because the compact car segment in general is just fading away. I just bought a new 3 AWD and absolutely love it (local dealers don*t have the CX30 yet), but I*ve always preferred smaller cars anyway. Compact crossovers are pretty hot in the US right now. I had a CX5 before this because I needed AWD; if they didn*t have AWD available in the 3 now, I very likely would have waited for the CX30.

Back