Jerkiness and Tick noise when transitioning from inactive to full cylinder operation

Hey guys, I need your help to verify if this is a common behaviour or not. I have a 2020 CX-5 with 2.5L Skyactiv-G with cylinder deactivation.

Car is less than 1000 miles and today I noticed there's a slight jerkiness when I transition from no pedal press to very light pedal press. A single "tick" noise can also be heard when this happens.

It was quite easy to replicate at low speed. A common scenario would be when you're travelling at low speed decelerating and accelerating on a bumper to bumper traffic.

Looking at the "Fuel Economy Monitor" screen, I noticed this jerkiness was caused by the engine transitioning from [4 cylinders idle (grayed out)] to [all 4 cylinders running (red symbol"] under the Cylinder Deactivation animation.

Is it supposed to do that? Can anyone test this on theirs and report back if it's a "fearure" rather than a "fault"?

P.S I know there was a recall for cylinder deactivation recall where a software fix had to be applied for 2018 & 2019, however I assumed mine had already been applied from the factory being a 2020 model year.

Last edited:
Solution
This is normal and not related to the Cylinder deactivation system. All cylinders are off because this is how injection works, more specifically the injection fuel is cut off when you release the gas pedal. Mazda just made the graph show off in this case but it's different than CD.

What you notice with the jerkiness is actually the transmission/computer not sure whether to go 1st or 2nd gear on very low revs and in between. Quite common at almost idle revs and car moving slow. Switch the sport button in this case and you would see no such behavior. The transmission will stick with 1 gear for longer, more revs.
@Dark5tar Does the response (above) @cz5gt gave in another thread answer your question?
This is normal and not related to the Cylinder deactivation system. All cylinders are off because this is how injection works, more specifically the injection fuel is cut off when you release the gas pedal. Mazda just made the graph show off in this case but it's different than CD.

What you notice with the jerkiness is actually the transmission/computer not sure whether to go 1st or 2nd gear on very low revs and in between. Quite common at almost idle revs and car moving slow. Switch the sport button in this case and you would see no such behavior. The transmission will stick with 1 gear for longer, more revs.
@Dark5tar Does the response (above) @cz5gt gave in another thread answer your question?

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for that. Very interesting. My car was made Nov2020 in Japan and I live in NZ. Hard to tell whether mine is applicable but still a good knowledge to know nevertheless.

I did find this YouTube vid below explaining how Mazda introduced a clutch on their automatic trannie, so this may have contributed to it as well.

Upvote 0
Has anyone experienced this longitudinal surge in 1st gear? Does it mean the engine revs without the car accelerating proportionately? My car falls into the group that might experience it but it hasn't done it yet.

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may complain about a surging at low speeds and during acceleration. This surging is in the longitudinal direction, felt about 2 cycles per second, and occurs in the locked up 1st gear. This may be caused by the torque fluctuation and the torsional resonance in the torque converter. To correct this concern, the PCM software has been modified to reduce the torque fluctuation.

Upvote 0
Back