Jeff's 2008 Special Edition Build Thread...

CTt3P5

TAD
Contributor
:
2016 GT ST 47A
Hi everyone! I'm happy to say that I'm finally back behind the wheel of a Miata but this time an NC. Found her sitting at a Mazda lot out in AR and loved the color combo upon sight. She's a one owner from TX and had 107,259K miles (mostly highway) when I found her. She's in pretty good shape considering the mileage, interior is very clean with hardly any wear on the steering wheel or seats and the floor mats look new. Top is in good condition and the windows have been tinted. There are a few chips on the bumper and door along with a ding or two but overall she looks pretty good...have to admit much better than the Shinsen did body wise.

Since I had previously been cleared to return to work, I opted to fly out and drive her home vs. having her shipped (read quite a few horror stories about numerous transportation companies and just didn't want to take the chance that I would be another one). The plus side was a second road trip in a year to bring my new baby home but I'd like to make this my last one for quite awhile. It took me a little longer as I stopped quite often to get out and stretch my legs but 1234.8 miles later and we were pulling in the driveway. :) Someone up above was def. looking out for me too as I was able to make the entire drive back East without hitting any precipitation from the storms we had Friday into Saturday. Good thing too as the dealer had just installed some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s! Any kind of slush/wet snow and I would have been parked somewhere waiting it out. Since I was going back to work today, I took her over to Jiffy Lube (only place open on a Sunday who could get me in) to swap out the summers for the all-seasons from my daughter's Protege5. Now to run these the rest of the season and buy snows in the Fall or buy a set now thinking winter has only just begun?

I've already bought a few small things for her including a phone mount from ProClipUSA, the same JVC (Arsenal KDAR959BS) hu I had in the Shinsen along with a steering wheel control adapter. Future mods on the list include a winter set of wheels/tires, roll bar, exhaust (leaning towards the RSII over the "Q"), maybe a Moto East intake (?), suspension, Moddiction blue tinted convex mirrors (currently in a GB for them), powered sub. I'm sure I'll think of some more things as time goes on.

Well enough of my boring rambling, here are some pics.

All packed up and ready to leave the dealer

In a Walmart parking lot...in all places but Bentonville AR!

Outside the Precious Moments Chapel in Carthage MO (Tam has quite the collection so had to stop, take a pic and take a little walk to stretch the legs)

After leaving Carthage I saw a sign for Fort Leonardwood! So I pulled off once again and after showing my military ID and license and explaining my story I was allowed on base to snap some pics. This one just happens to be in front of the hospital where I was born! :D

Waking up early to leave the hotel in Terra Haute

Her temporary winter shoes (donated from a 2006 Touring Miata via a P5 lol)

Congratulations, looks great! You'll have to tell us how it compares to your NB.

First impressions are good! It does feel more refined but not so much that it loses the feel of what the car is and what it was made to do (read a few opinions that the NC was garbage and too soft when compared to the NB and moreso the NA). Those extra .2L really make a difference where acceleration is concerned. Both of mine were/are autos but the NC feels much quicker and doesn't 'dog' (for lack of a better word) when I'm starting from a stop sign, etc. I'm happy with the upgrade and Tam loves it compared to the NB.

your "Should" have the suspension package, being the SE model. you get a slightly bigger rear sway bar, and bilstein dampers. unfortunately, with the auto-box you don't get the limited slip rear end. there is still room for improvement, however...

i have heard that the NC auto-box is also very engaging to drive, too. i haven't driven one, though.

looking forward to see where you go with it :D

Good deal, should have some extra room inside. Drove one before I was into them, no can't say if I'd like one now or not.

your "Should" have the suspension package, being the SE model. you get a slightly bigger rear sway bar, and bilstein dampers. unfortunately, with the auto-box you don't get the limited slip rear end. there is still room for improvement, however...

i have heard that the NC auto-box is also very engaging to drive, too. i haven't driven one, though.

looking forward to see where you go with it :D

I thought the only way to get the suspension package was with the manual? At least according to the FAQ over on m.net and what I remember for most every suspension package offered on all Miata gens. Guess a call to Mazda is in order to verify. That would be an unexpected bonus if it's true.

Quite a few members on m.net told me the auto on the NC was night and day compared to that of the NA/NB. They were right! It's nice and smooth (even at 108K) and having the 6th gear is great for cruising. I'm at around 2300rpms cruising at 70mph.

Nothing too crazy, just some minor tweaks along the way to make her my own.

Good deal, should have some extra room inside. Drove one before I was into them, no can't say if I'd like one now or not.

Thanks and yes it is roomier in the cabin. Just trying to get used to the center console. I kept my EZPass in the storage compartment behind the cup holders in the NB and now that has been moved to the area between the seats. It's rather awkward trying to drop the door and grab it while driving on the highway. Will probably keep it in the cup holders and at some point swap them out for the IL Motorsports center console.

Congrats Jeffy!!! Nice pic, you'll love the new auto. Suspension package was only for the manual 6 in upper 2 packages.

Thank you Nate and Bruce.

And yes, the auto in the NC is so much better but it also has two more gears. Thanks for the clarification too. I thought that was the case for the suspension package but wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks Mark and lol Larry.

Installed some Moddiction blue tinted convex mirrors this morning. They match the Icy Blue very well. haha

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
They are ok Bruce, I'm still getting used to them. I've got to tweak them a little more for final adjustments but biggest thing to get used to is just how close those objects in the mirror are.

Finally got around to installing my h/u today. I've only had it in my hands two days before I actually picked the car up! I was happy to find cut-outs in the back of the pocket. Fed the wire for my Bluetooth mic through one and taped it down within the pocket, nice and tidy. :) Lost the Sirius function though since it was a factory install and the h/u itself uses a newer connection. Ah well, I had no plans of continuing service after my free 3 month trial ended.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Khaleesi - JVC HU.jpeg
    Khaleesi - JVC HU.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 20,208
Last edited:
Suspension is on the list Mark. Just need to figure out which route I want to go, shocks and springs and any other corresponding hardware to buy new (given mileage of stock parts) or go all out with coilovers. More than one person has mentioned Ohlins when I say coilovers but they seem like overkill for a dd. For that reason I've been looking at the Teins which would cost a little more than FMs stage 2 package which includes sways.....ahhhhh decisions.

After a tech day this past Saturday with the local club I'm liking the beefiness of the Progress sway bars. Helped (handed tools and held the ABS sensor out of the way) a guy install his. Very nice! What made it even nicer was the house where the meet was held had a very nice lift. At one point the guy was trying to swing the stock sway bar over the axle while five of us were huddled under the car giving our best "help". haha

Hmmmm, a quick check and I see that the Progress front bar is thicker than the FM but FMs rear bar is thicker. Another difference is that Progress offers three adjustable settings up front and two in the rear and FM reverses this. Will have to dig deeper.

Nice Jeff. But unless you plan to do some autox or racing coilovers are overkill for a DD. I would get a good set of springs and shocks and sways.

That is my thinking but on the other hand with coilovers I've got everything I need vs. the possibility of buying new parts to go with the shocks/springs.

Bought a 12x32 sheet of tinted Lamin-X so I could wrap my bumper markers. I hate amber lenses with a passion but no one makes smoked lenses for the NC. I've used Nite Shades in the past but opted for the film this time around and what a PITA it was to wrap around those edges. Chose the tint as it was the lightest shade of 'black' and thought it would look better against the Icy Blue vs. a smoked or charcoal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Emilia - Tinted Markers DS Front.jpeg
    Emilia - Tinted Markers DS Front.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 3,708
  • Emilia - Tinted Markers PS Front.jpeg
    Emilia - Tinted Markers PS Front.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 3,765