January US Sales

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Mazda-January-Sales-2020-1024x480.jpg

Interesting. Looks like the CX-30 basically cannibalized Mazda3 sales.

Last edited:
Nice to see improvement from last year. Honestly, I half-expected to see CX-9 sales drop once the Palisade and the Telluride were launched.

The math certainly works out. I'm not sure how I feel about that. At least the overall numbers are favorable.

Same here. It's nice to see a new model enjoying some success, but I do wish the 3 was selling better. It certainly goes with the trend of more people buying "utility vehicles" over cars these days.

Just dreaming, but maybe if the 3 sales get low enough, they'll pull the plug on it and instead develop a limited production Mazdaspeed3 in its place. Could turn a negative into a positive? :ROFLMAO:

Interesting that the cx5 is more than half the total Mazda sales. It's right in the sweet spot.

Maybe they will replace the diesel cx5 with a hybrid or other economy type.

Wow. People hate sedans. (Said me, the dummy who often wonders why he has two SUVs)

I may have mentioned in recent post, but I read in Canada we buy light trucks and CUV/SUVs like mad. 70 percent of new cars sold. This would seem not too far off that.

I think the move towards crossovers is perfectly logical. They offer more 'bang for the buck' in terms of usefulness for the cost (which is related to wheelbase in inches).

There seem to be two major types of crossovers: the 'squareback' and the 'beanback'. Sometimes models seem to change, or morph. The Chevy Terrain was a beanback but seems to be changing to a squareback, reminiscent of the body on frame truck based SUV. It looks like the Toyota Highlander, which has always been a squareback, taking on a decidedly bean shaped exterior.

It can make a significant difference in cargo capabilities that the numbers don't show. Saturn VUE was a squareback until 2008, when it morphed in the Chevy Captiva, a beanback almost the same size as the CX 5.

I had a 2007 Saturn VUE (squareback)- 106" wheelbase approx 65 cuft cargo. I could fit 12 fliptop tote boxes with the seats down. My cx5 has 106" wheelbase and about 63 cuft cargo but can only fit 7 fliptop totes because of the shape.

Still, I only need that kind of cargo space occasionally and I like the better MPGs I get from the CX5, 35mpg vs. 29mpg for the VUE.

I think the move towards crossovers is perfectly logical.

It's definitely a smart choice here in snowy Canada. Except for subaru, and now the altima and Mazda 3...I'm not sure there is another sedan that's awd except the luxury nameplates. Maybe VW? Not a ton of choice for those not shopping BMW

Snows enough here to make awd a nice to have, if not a must have.

Re: Cars and SUV's. I just need some utility.
Pretty sure I would have bought a Volvo V70 instead of an SUV if it didn't cost over $50K.

Back