Jack Stand Recall

Thanks for the heads up...Note a similar post was posted in the Lounge...

Oh snap, thanks for posting this. I just had my car up on 4 of these recalled stands last weekend

Yep...I've got a pair of the 61196 in the garage! Need to take them to HF...I'm assuming they're replacing the recalled units.

Yikes. Will keep using my ramps then...
I’d seen a metal ramp collapsed when a friend drove up his big American V8 for a oil change. Since then I don’t trust any ramps either. The main thing is you want something to be a backup in case the main support somehow has failed. I use a pair of stands, and a jack or two to serve as the fail-safe support any time I need to go under the car for maintenance or repair.

For oil change, I use a pair of self-made layers of 2X10 wood as the mini ramps and just drive the vehicle up.

Last edited:
I can't get my head around the light plastic car ramps. Plastics tend to deteriorate over time from UV light and outdoor conditions, maybe they are made with a tough grade of plastic. I have steel ramps that I trust, they supposed to hold up to 2000 pounds each. I would imagine if ramps were to fail it would be while driving the car up on to them, not after the car has been driven up and resting on them.

The plastic rhino ramps are a no go for me anymore. Need a lip or something to put them against. Figured that out the hard way. Was driving up the ramps and instead of the car moving forward up the ramps, the wheel grabbed the ramp slid it backwards across the slick concrete garage floor when I nudged the gas. That was a fun ride.

Back