It's Lowered

Add some ricer stickers to the back too. The more the better--they are good for at least 5HP each! (yes)

Just an update.. 1,000 miles since the lowering, it's completely settled now. Front fender to the ground is about 31" and rear fender to the ground about 30.75". Rides just the like OE springs over bumps and rough pavement. Lowered center of gravity and slight increased in spring rates make cornering very stable and more confident inspiring. Everyone who has seen it in person loves the lowered stance.

Last edited:
This is a serious question, okay? Have you forgotten and scraped the doors, or front air dam?

Does the lower stance make it significantly easier to get onto the vehicle by someone less agile?

Anything you DON'T like about it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Nope.. No scrapes of the doors or front air dam. However I am more cautious about the doors than the air dam. Being a few inches lowered makes a huge diffference for getting in and out of the car. The seat bolster will be spared as I am not rashing them on the way out of the car. I am 6ft tall but it made a huge difference for me. Also washing the top of the car is a lot easier and I don't need a stool any more. Overall, I am very happy and have no regrets. All is well. Now, I am hoping the available rear sway bar for the Edge will work on the 9 :D

The rear suspension is very similar to that of my speed3. There's a catch though. The OE spring is a PITA to get out even with all the endlinks and control arms removed. Use a spring compress to compress the spring and then push down on the trailing arms by standing on the hub and yank out the spring. Much easier if you have another person helping you.

212bs02.jpg
If it's similar to the MS3, why didn't you just remove the bolt on the lower control arm and endlink? That's how I do my MS3 when I want to adjust my coilovers.

Last edited:
Just an update.. 1,000 miles since the lowering, it's completely settled now. Front fender to the ground is about 31" and rear fender to the ground about 30.75". Rides just the like OE springs over bumps and rough pavement. Lowered center of gravity and slight increased in spring rates make cornering very stable and more confident inspiring. Everyone who has seen it in person loves the lowered stance.

how is the ride w/ 4 people inside?

Flex has nothing to do with the CX9 or Edge. I've looked. The Edge and CX9 share floor pans and a few suspension components, and the basic engine. That's it. But, even those have been tweaked by Mazda to get better performance out of them. The CX9 runs smoother and stronger, and rides and handles much better then the Edge. Mazda put everything into the CX9, Ford was lazy with the Edge, as usual.

I stand corrected. Different platform bet. Flex and CX-9. Btw, CX-9 and Edge do not compete in the same class which I'm sure you know, obviously.

Edge being 2 row 5 seater competes with the CX-7 among others in that segment, like Nissan Murano and Rouge.

Btw, you talk as if Mazda and Ford operates as 2 different companies. Not sure if you are aware that engineers from both companies work together sometimes on each others product as they do share common parts. I should know. I used to work at Ford WHQ in Dearborn.

I think Edge holds its own very well. A nice exterior look and not too shabby interior for a Ford. They deserve a second chance esp with the re-styled Fusion, all new euro based Focus coming instead of this silly 10 year old Focus with SYNC, and the new small car that is the Fiesta.

If they would bring the Ford Kuga here, it'll beat the pants off the current segment leader - CRV.

But their past products are terrible.

Last edited:
The fact that the Edge doesn't compete with the CX9 is what's so baffling. same platform, almost the same size, but 2 less seats? And the mystery deepens BECAUSE Mazda and Ford work together. They co-develop an engine, yet the Mazda version is better. And the CX9 has the smooth, adaptive, manual mode Aisin transmission and the Edge has a clunky Ford-GM trans with no manual shift. Ford has it's collective head up it's a**, as far as I'm concerned. Access to better engineering and parts, and they take a pass.
look at the Ranger/B Series. Instead of rebadging the superior Mazda trucks in 94, Ford instead makes Mazda rebadge crappy Rangers for the US market. Then in 99 they shut down Mazda truck production and sold Rangers made in Thailand as Mazdas in the rest of the world. Dumb

And there is a distinct difference in the overall quality between the two. The engineering and manufacturing is mush tighter on the CX9.

Almost the same size?? CX-9 is listed as 199.8" whereas Edge is 185.7". More than a foot difference in the two. EPA classifies these two in two difference class.

Perhaps Ford (Edge) is getting the lesser transmission and/or engine is because Ford is like the car for the masses (i.e. meant to be cheap), whereas Mazda, though not rank as high as Honda, Toyota or Nissan, can still command a premium. Perhaps the interior material is not as good, but I've been in a Flex and it is pretty nice compared to Ford product of the past. I remember there's a commercial claiming their interior is quieter than a Lexus RX.

In any case, since Lincoln has more or less given up on competing with Cadillac, it would be interesting to see how buyers will take on the new MKT. Flex is just priced too high IMO and the front end needs to be tweaked to look like the Edge or re-styled Fusion. It'll look much better than that silly looking Mini Clubman.

Under Alan Mulally, you can see Ford is heading in the right direction. Finally!

Competition is good. I'm so sick of buying Hondas and have enough of their higher than thou sales guy attitude.

Last edited:
Thats for the education.

Let us know how the sway bars go, I would be interested in a set of those more than the springs.

Back