It happened again! CPO Warranty - Should this be covered?

Engine oil leaked from valve cover seeped to plug well happens, but wonder how that killed the coil. Also, leaking valve cover on 2014 with 92,000 miles quite surprising on newer Japanese engine surprised me. And Mazda wouldn't cover it under CPO warranty?

The oil probably affected the HV insulation. Also can attract dust which can cause high voltage arcing in damp environments.

I feel if there were to be any coverage, it would be under the extended emission warranty. However, mileage rules that out.

Forgot to answer a few questions in previous posts.

Yes, the check engine and other dash lights all went on when it lost power and the engine was shaking according to my son. When I arrived at the scene, the car was turned off for about 20 minutes. I opened the hood, checked the oil (was fine) and he started it. It started but sounded awful and was engine was shaking. No dash lights upon restart but the rattling had us shut it right down and tow it.

The battery is 2 years old and checked out fine at the dealership today.

The vehicle is an automatic.

Thanks again!

For the CX-5....that usually means check if battery is tightened down (not loose) or perhaps replace. We have people on this forum that could testify including myself.

Why? Like many modern cars these days the CX-5 is HEAVILY reliant on electronic sensors. Not providing sufficient energy to such electronics will cause those specific issues. In my case the Battery wan't not fully dead but was so low in CCA power that it did not allow my car to function properly.

2020 powertrain coverage booklet - factory is 5/50k, I'm paying to 10/100k from the dealer. p5 has the list of components included.
Looks like you’re buying a new 2020 CX-5 from another thread. Mazda’s factory powertrain warranty should be up to 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. So you’re buying additional 5 years or 40,000 miles of major component extended warranty for your new car? But the doc you linked seems to be the CPO powertrain warranty for a used car?

IMO, I’d save the money as self-insurance for additional 5 years or 40,000 miles based on good reliability ratings on CX-5. If I really want an extended warranty, I’d always get the one from the manufacture, Mazda, not the third party!

Interestingly this CPO warranty document on the list of components does include problematic belt tensioner which has $207.71 MSRP for the part only, but it isn’t included in the factory powertrain warranty.

I’ve authorized the Mazda Dealer to replace the plugs and the one coil that has failed.
The cost was about $400 for the coil and the plugs and oil change.
they are also replacing the valve cover gasket under the CPO warranty as they said it was leaking.
I took a pass on fixing the cracked engine mount they mentioned.
So just to clarify, the problems you experienced require the following services...
- 4 new spark plugs
- 1 new ignition coil
- 1 new engine mount
- 1 new valve cover gasket
- 1 complete oil change

Of all these services, your expensive Mazda Extended CPO warranty ONLY COVERED 1 ITEM!

This is why I don't get all of the love for extended warranties on this forum...
You spend $1000-$3000 on a warranty, are forced to use the dealer, have to jump through a bunch of BS hoops/approvals/denials, then only get 1 of the 5 needed services covered.

So much for the "peace of mind" excuse many give for buying these warranties.

So just to clarify, the problems you experienced require the following services...
- 4 new spark plugs
- 1 new ignition coil
- 1 new engine mount
- 1 new valve cover gasket
- 1 complete oil change

Of all these services, your expensive Mazda Extended CPO warranty ONLY COVERED 1 ITEM!

This is why I don't get all of the love for extended warranties on this forum...
You spend $1000-$3000 on a warranty, are forced to use the dealer, have to jump through a bunch of BS hoops/approvals/denials, then only get 1 of the 5 needed services covered.

So much for the "peace of mind" excuse many give for buying these warranties.
The Mazda CPO warranty is not an aftermarket extended warranty. It is an extension of the factory warranties

The Mazda CPO warranty is not an aftermarket extended warranty. It is an extension of the factory warranties
I never said it was an aftermarket warranty. I explicitly said it was a "Mazda CPO warranty."

But regardless, I'm not sure what your point it.
The fact is, the extended warranty only covered 1 of the 5 items needing addressed.
This is exactly why I say you are better off saving your money vs buying these warranties.

I never said it was an aftermarket warranty. I explicitly said it was a "Mazda CPO warranty."

But regardless, I'm not sure what your point it.
The fact is, the extended warranty only covered 1 of the 5 items needing addressed.
This is exactly why I say you are better off saving your money vs buying these warranties.
I was trying to say that the CPO warranty isn't an add-on that you buy. It comes with the vehicle. Once a vehicle is CPO'd in the Mazda system, the warranty cannot be removed to lower the price.

imo, if the OP had pushed it with corporate, he could have gotten the mount taken care of as well since it's a specified covered part. I would have also pushed for the plugs and coil to be covered since it was the leaking valve cover (another covered part) that caused them to fail

I was trying to say that the CPO warranty isn't an add-on that you buy. It comes with the vehicle. Once a vehicle is CPO'd in the Mazda system, the warranty cannot be removed to lower the price.
The CPO warranty is essentially an add-on.
There is nothing special about CPO vehicles. Most late model Mazda's could qualify.
It simply adds $xxxx to the price of the vehicle, to account for the warranty.
And while you can't remove the CPO designation once in the system, you can get a dealer to add it.

The point is, consumers have a choice when buying used...
- Buy a used non-CPO car
- Buy an identical vehicle with CPO designation for ~$2K-$4K more.

The OP clearly would have been better off selecting a non-CPO car and saving that money.

And your point about "pushing the issue with Corporate" is another reason to NOT go CPO and self-insure. Then you aren't held hostage to using only the dealer for service, and at the mercy of the dealer/corporate to decide what will or will not be covered.

Well, not exactly...

The 7/100 CPO Limited Powertrain Warranty is an extension of the 5/60 New Vehicle Limited Powertrain Warranty, but the 1/12 CPO Limited Vehicle Warranty is not an extension of the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For example, the 1/12 CPO Limited Vehicle Warranty doesn't cover the battery, light bulbs, shock absorbers, paint, strut bearings, convertible top, and trim - items that are covered under the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Once a vehicle is CPO'd in the Mazda system, the warranty cannot be removed to lower the price.

However, the vehicle can be decertified for other reasons including:
  • Vehicle is wholesaled
  • Vehicle hasn't sold after 45 days
  • Vehicle sustains damage that disqualifies it from the program
  • Time or mileage limitations expire
  • Vehicle is automatically decertified after 180 days if it hasn't sold
The dealer cost to certify a Mazda as CPO is $399. The dealer is not charged this fee until the vehicle sells in case it needs to be decertified.

Thanks for the discussion, all -- Already signed the deal, they're swapping the tags and taking the trade-in on Friday and I'll be adding none of the warranty extensions.

I bought my last new car on 1/1/2005 and put 295k on it...When the GTR's warranty is up, I can take advantage of the good relationship I already have with a nearby mechanic who kept the last one rolling at a great price.

I started this thread due to a mechanical issue with the vehicle as stated above.

I had the one bad coil replaced and a new set of plugs installed as the plugs were close to their interval anyhow. CPO warranty didn’t cover the coil but did cover the leaking valve cover gasket which the service advisor told me allowed oil to seep in to plug well and caused the coil to fail.

Today my son called me and again he is stranded on the side of the road. Same issue. Car starts vibrating and shaking, check engine comes on and traction control light. Rough vibrating engine and when you press the accelerator there is no power it barely will go.

Not sure what to do. Not sure I want to bring it back to dealer as it will likely not be covered.
Could the original oil leak that may have caused the failure of the one coil now have led to the eventual failure of another one a few weeks later?
shoukd I replace the remaining 3 coils to avoid this again?
Mazda corporate not being helpful.

I started this thread due to a mechanical issue with the vehicle as stated above.

I had the one bad coil replaced and a new set of plugs installed as the plugs were close to their interval anyhow. CPO warranty didn’t cover the coil but did cover the leaking valve cover gasket which the service advisor told me allowed oil to seep in to plug well and caused the coil to fail.

Today my son called me and again he is stranded on the side of the road. Same issue. Car starts vibrating and shaking, check engine comes on and traction control light. Rough vibrating engine and when you press the accelerator there is no power it barely will go.

Not sure what to do. Not sure I want to bring it back to dealer as it will likely not be covered.
Could the original oil leak that may have caused the failure of the one coil now have led to the eventual failure of another one a few weeks later?
shoukd I replace the remaining 3 coils to avoid this again?
Mazda corporate not being helpful.

Some possibilities:

• The leak wasn't fixed and has ruined the new coil
  • The valve cover gasket wasn't replaced properly causing a new leak that damaged the same or another coil(s)
  • The original problem was never the coil and plugs to begin with
  • The replacement coil failed

What ever became of the cracked motor mount? It's written in black and white that it's covered.

Also according to the Warranty Booklet, which I suggest you read or re-read, genuine Mazda replacement parts installed by a Mazda dealer and replacement labor are covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles or the remainder of any applicable warranty.

According to the paperwork from your previous repair, what codes were retrieved? What codes are currently stored? Buy an inexpensive scan tool and check them yourself.

According to Mazda, the engine mounts are a covered item but for CPO it is based upon when the car was put in to service and at how many miles. According to my VIN they told me my motor mount coverage ended in the 86,500 mile range, or in April of 2019. Apparently there are certain parts “covered“ that are not up to the 100,000 miles. Who knew???

Spoke to the Mazda service advisor who thought it was likely a different coil and recommended doing the remaining 3 coils. He said if it was the same coil that they just replaced it would be covered under the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. He didn’t think that was likely but didn’t rule it out. He also said it could be other issues like the mass air flow sensor and some other possibilities.

I called my independent mechanic who I have used for years and he asked me a few questions and told me it was very likely one of the other coils. He said he always suggests replacing all at the same time as they can often start failing one after the other. He asked if I was keeping the car for a while. My yes answer had him say just let me scan it. If it’s a different cylinder coil just replace all 3 remaining and be done with it.
Fortunately they are not too expensive. I asked him if he would use Mazda coils or after market. He said if it were his car he would use aftermarket as they are just a good. He told me to let him know what to use after he calls me with the diagnosis. Any thoughts on aftermarket coils please share.

I’m towing it to my indie mechanic today. Mazda dealer wanted another $135 diagnosis fee on top of the next repair. At this point I’m likely going to swap out all 3 remaining coils and hopefully be done with any repairs for a while. My sons love the C Flex-5 as they call it. I’m willing to replace all 3 if it’s another coil so they have reliable transportation to school and their jobs.
Thanks for all your input along the way...

Ah -
According to Mazda, the engine mounts are a covered item but for CPO it is based upon when the car was put in to service and at how many miles. According to my VIN they told me my motor mount coverage ended in the 86,500 mile range, or in April of 2019. Apparently there are certain parts “covered“ that are not up to the 100,000 miles. Who knew???

Spoke to the Mazda service advisor who thought it was likely a different coil and recommended doing the remaining 3 coils. He said if it was the same coil that they just replaced it would be covered under the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. He didn’t think that was likely but didn’t rule it out. He also said it could be other issues like the mass air flow sensor and some other possibilities.

I called my independent mechanic who I have used for years and he asked me a few questions and told me it was very likely one of the other coils. He said he always suggests replacing all at the same time as they can often start failing one after the other. He asked if I was keeping the car for a while. My yes answer had him say just let me scan it. If it’s a different cylinder coil just replace all 3 remaining and be done with it.
Fortunately they are not too expensive. I asked him if he would use Mazda coils or after market. He said if it were his car he would use aftermarket as they are just a good. He told me to let him know what to use after he calls me with the diagnosis. Any thoughts on aftermarket coils please share.

I’m towing it to my indie mechanic today. Mazda dealer wanted another $135 diagnosis fee on top of the next repair. At this point I’m likely going to swap out all 3 remaining coils and hopefully be done with any repairs for a while. My sons love the C Flex-5 as they call it. I’m willing to replace all 3 if it’s another coil so they have reliable transportation to school and their jobs.
Thanks for all your input along the way...

The motor mount coverage will have ended at the earlier of 7 years from the original in-service date or 100,000 miles. 7 years prior to April 2019 would be April 2012. By federal law, the earliest a 2014 year model vehicle can be sold is January 1, 2013 which would have the warranty expiring January 1, 2020. However, it's unlikely your 2014 year model vehicle was sold this early. You said in a previous post that your CPO warranty is valid until November 2020 which means the vehicle's in-service date was November 2013 which would be reasonable for a 2014 year model vehicle. The CPO powertrain coverage is an extension of the original 5/60 powertrain warranty to 7/100. Again, this is all in black and white.

I'd demand the motor mount be replaced under warranty then I'd have the problem diagnosed elsewhere. If the coil pack they replaced failed, let the dealer replace it under the 1/12 warranty (NO DIAGNOSTIC FEE). If other coil packs have failed, I'd have them replaced elsewhere (or do it yourself?). I'm less familiar with Mazda parts, but in "Honda land", genuine Honda coils are preferred over aftermarket because they're proven to last longer.

Thanks. I just don’t know how to get the mount fixed under CPO. I called MazdaUSA and she said she could tell if it was and that only a dealer could by entering my VIN in the warranty system. The service tech did that and he read to me the info and said he would gladly repair it but the system says that part is not covered due to a formula they impose on engine mounts from date of service and mileage at time the car is certified. He said he cannot do it under warranty and Mazda will not approve it as the online warranty system says it’s out of coverage.

almost impossible to get these things worked out in your favor. My last invoice from the dealer shows the car as certified and lists coverage to 100,000 miles and a date ending this November. Same dealer says that warranty will not cover the mount however.

Thanks. I just don’t know how to get the mount fixed under CPO. I called MazdaUSA and she said she could tell if it was and that only a dealer could by entering my VIN in the warranty system. The service tech did that and he read to me the info and said he would gladly repair it but the system says that part is not covered due to a formula they impose on engine mounts from date of service and mileage at time the car is certified. He said he cannot do it under warranty and Mazda will not approve it as the online warranty system says it’s out of coverage.

almost impossible to get these things worked out in your favor. My last invoice from the dealer shows the car as certified and lists coverage to 100,000 miles and a date ending this November. Same dealer says that warranty will not cover the mount however.

Have them direct you to the part of your CPO warranty paperwork that is in conflict with the 2014 Warranty Booklet. Let them know you aren't concerned with "what their system says" - you have paperwork from Mazda that clearly states the motor mounts are covered for 7/100.

File a complaint with the BBB AUTO LINE Dispute Resolution Service. It won't cost you a dime. A third party will review information from both sides and reach a decision. If you agree with the decision, Mazda is bound to it.

I agree with zroger73 that your engine mount should be covered under CPO 7-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. You can ask Mazda dealer or the rep from Mazda North American Operations to verify the first service date (sold date when the car was new) of your 2014 CX-5, it simply can’t be over 7 years at this time. You can escalate your case to the higher authority and let them explain why the 7-year powertrain warranty has expired with less than 7 years. You should really want to push Mazda to replace the engine mount under CPO warranty as you’d need to replace it in the near future.

I personally would like to use OEM coil pack if any of these failed. But I feel your problem could be something else. Oil leak from valve cover gasket shouldn’t damage the coil pack as it’s a sealed unit.

Back