It happened again! CPO Warranty - Should this be covered?

btw, if a warrantied part (the valve cover) caused a problem with the coils, their replacement should be covered as well.

When you bought vehicle you were given a CPO packet that included what the warranties covered as well as a Carfax/Autocheck report that will show the vehicle in-service date. Check and see what those say

I agree with the commenter above. If the failure of the plugs/coil pack was stated to be the leaking valve cover gasket by the dealer, why isn't it all covered under the CPO warranty? If the gasket (which is covered) wasn't leaking, the coil and plugs wouldn't have failed. I don't understand the mileage discrepancy either. Where are they getting 86,500 miles and 4/19 as an expiration on a 2014 car with a 7yr/100k warranty? If it is still within the 7yr period (since the in service date) and you are under 100k, why wouldn't it be covered? It seems like something was entered incorrectly. I would be calling Mazda USA back and talking to a higher up about it.

Thanks for the replies...
I’m going to contact Mazda USA again and see where I can get.
To clarify, they do agree the car is under CPO warranty with 100K and 7 years from in service date which is accurate on my car records and VIN. What I’ve been told is that not every part goes the full 7/100K. One tech said that different years 2012,2013,2014, etc have slight deviations as to what is covered for all 7/100K.

Also, if it is covered wouldn’t the dealer WANT to fix it under warranty and get paid by Corporate? I asked if he would try to contact Mazda USA and see if he could get it approved and he basically said it wouldn’t get approved.

Years ago I had an CPO Acura MDX and brought it in for the timing belt and water pump at 99K miles. (They recommended the belt at 100K). Service guy calls me and says I have a cracked engine mount. I said it’s CPO is that covered? He said he would check and let me know. A few minutes later he called and said “yup, it’s covered. Would you like us to do it today”? I had less than 1,000miles left on the warranty so of course I said yes. Point is they were happy to do that job. Guy told me it was almost $900 for that mount replacement.

Why wouldn’t Mazda dealer want to do the mount or try if they thought my argument has merit?0

Thanks for the replies...
I’m going to contact Mazda USA again and see where I can get.
To clarify, they do agree the car is under CPO warranty with 100K and 7 years from in service date which is accurate on my car records and VIN. What I’ve been told is that not every part goes the full 7/100K. One tech said that different years 2012,2013,2014, etc have slight deviations as to what is covered for all 7/100K.

Also, if it is covered wouldn’t the dealer WANT to fix it under warranty and get paid by Corporate? I asked if he would try to contact Mazda USA and see if he could get it approved and he basically said it wouldn’t get approved.

Years ago I had an CPO Acura MDX and brought it in for the timing belt and water pump at 99K miles. (They recommended the belt at 100K). Service guy calls me and says I have a cracked engine mount. I said it’s CPO is that covered? He said he would check and let me know. A few minutes later he called and said “yup, it’s covered. Would you like us to do it today”? I had less than 1,000miles left on the warranty so of course I said yes. Point is they were happy to do that job. Guy told me it was almost $900 for that mount replacement.

Why wouldn’t Mazda dealer want to do the mount or try if they thought my argument has merit?0

Then Mazda needs to specify that the motor mounts are only covered for 86,500 miles or 6 years and 5 months. :) They're clearly covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty - Mazda says so right in the warranty booklet. They also say the 7/100 CPO powertrain warranty is an extension of the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Dealers prioritize customer-pay work over warranty work because the latter pays less. They'll take warranty work over nothing at all, but it's not a priority. If they're busy with customer-pay work, their profit margin will greater.

If everything you are saying is true, then somebody "hit the wrong button" on a computer at some point or your dealer is really going out of their way to save a few bucks. This just doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Then Mazda needs to specify that the motor mounts are only covered for 86,500 miles or 6 years and 5 months. :) They're clearly covered under for 5/60 powertrain warranty - Mazda says so right in the warranty booklet. They also say the 7/100 CPO powertrain warranty is an extension of the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Dealers prioritize customer-pay work over warranty work because the latter pays less. They'll take warranty work over nothing at all, but it's not a priority. If they're busy with customer-pay work, their profit margin will greater.

If everything you are saying is true, then somebody "hit the wrong button" on a computer at some point or your dealer is really going out of their way to save a few bucks. This just doesn't add up.
Very well said. Many people are not aware of the huge difference in hour rate with warranty work vs regular work. If the service rep has hours of regular shop hour work lined up, there really isn't any incentive to motivate them to squeeze in warranty work. Sadly they are not there to please you but to make $$.

That makes sense, they didn’t see enough profit to do the job under warranty.

BTW, my Indie mechanic called me yesterday. Cylinder 4 Engine Coil was toast. The dealer had replaced cylinder 1. He said he tested the other two cylinders and #3 had low voltage. I had him do the coils in # 2, 3 & 4 which is what he recommended. Picked it up today. Runs perfectly. $335 for 3 engine coils. He told me he discounted the labor for me as I’ve been going there and referring him for years. He used aftermarket coils but told me there are good and bad aftermarket coils and he likes the manufacturer of the parts he choose. Said they are OEM quality in his opinion. Dealer wanted over $600 for 3 coils.

Thanks again for your feedback. I’ll see if I can get the mount covered by elevating that issue.

BTW, my Indie mechanic called me yesterday. Cylinder 4 Engine Coil was toast. The dealer had replaced cylinder 1. He said tested the other two cylinders and #3 had low voltage. I had him do the coils in # 2, 3 & 4 which is what he recommended.
Picked it up today. Runs perfectly.
$335 for 3 engine coils. He told me he discounted the labor for me as I’ve been going there and referring him for years. He used aftermarket coils but told me there are good and bad aftermarket coils and he likes the manufacturer of the parts he choose. Said they are OEM quality in his opinion.
Dealer wanted over $600 for 3 coils.
Thanks again for your feedback. I’ll see if I can get the mount covered by elevating that issue.
Thanks for the update. If you could, find out which brand of after-market coil packs the indie were using, may be from the invoice?

BTW, my Indie mechanic called me yesterday. Cylinder 4 Engine Coil was toast. The dealer had replaced cylinder 1. He said he tested the other two cylinders and #3 had low voltage. I had him do the coils in # 2, 3 & 4 which is what he recommended. Picked it up today. Runs perfectly. $335 for 3 engine coils. He told me he discounted the labor for me as I’ve been going there and referring him for years. He used aftermarket coils but told me there are good and bad aftermarket coils and he likes the manufacturer of the parts he choose. Said they are OEM quality in his opinion. Dealer wanted over $600 for 3 coils.

A good reputable mechanic will provide valuable insight on aftermarket OE replacement parts based off experience. Mine prefers Gates water pumps, belts, ect. I asked why and he said low failure rates meaning less customer comebacks and they are easy to work with on warranty coverage. We have to remember that such parts may be branded OEM (with OEM prices) but are really made by 3rd party companies. Example NGK/Denso spark plugs.

We have to remember that such parts may be branded OEM (with OEM prices) but are really made by 3rd party companies. Example NGK/Denso spark plugs.

Excellent point. The term "OEM" is often misused. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. OE stands for Original Equipment. The OEM is the supplier for OE parts.

Example:

Pilkington is an auto glass manufacturer. They are one supplier of windshields to Honda. Pilkington makes two different windshields for each application - one that is made to Honda's specifications that contains the Honda "H" logo and one that meets Pilkington's specifications that has only Pilkington's name on it. One is available only through Honda dealers. One is only available through aftermarket suppliers. The two versions are interchangeable - both will work, but the aftermarket version may contain more defects that may or may not be significant or noticeable to the customer.

OE = Original Equipment. This is the part that came on the vehicle from the factory. The part may be made in-house by the automaker or supplied to them from another company.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is the company that made the OE part. OEMs often make both OE and aftermarket versions to different specifications.

OE/OEM "equivalent" = This applies to a part made by a third party who claims the part is equal to or exceeds the standards of the OE part. It may or may not.

Generally, a genuine OE part will offer the highest quality. For example, Mazda doesn't want their ignition coils failing left and right resulting in warranty claims and customer dissatisfaction, so they provide specifications and choose suppliers who will offer a satisfactory product.

After looking at a 2018 version of the CPO warranty disclosure, it appears that motor mounts are no longer covered in the extended powertrain warranty. OP, do you have the paperwork from your purchase so we can see if earlier versions had it?

After looking at a 2018 version of the CPO warranty disclosure, it appears that motor mounts are no longer covered in the extended powertrain warranty. OP, do you have the paperwork from your purchase so we can see if earlier versions had it?

If that's the case, then the motor mount coverage would have ended at 60,000 miles - not 86,500 miles. :)

Excellent point. The term "OEM" is often misused. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. OE stands for Original Equipment. The OEM is the supplier for OE parts.

Example:

Pilkington is an auto glass manufacturer. They are one supplier of windshields to Honda. Pilkington makes two different windshields for each application - one that is made to Honda's specifications that contains the Honda "H" logo and one that meets Pilkington's specifications that has only Pilkington's name on it. One is available only through Honda dealers. One is only available through aftermarket suppliers. The two versions are interchangeable - both will work, but the aftermarket version may contain more defects that may or may not be significant or noticeable to the customer.

OE = Original Equipment. This is the part that came on the vehicle from the factory. The part may be made in-house by the automaker or supplied to them from another company.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is the company that made the OE part. OEMs often make both OE and aftermarket versions to different specifications.

OE/OEM "equivalent" = This applies to a part made by a third party who claims the part is equal to or exceeds the standards of the OE part. It may or may not.

Generally, a genuine OE part will offer the highest quality. For example, Mazda doesn't want their ignition coils failing left and right resulting in warranty claims and customer dissatisfaction, so they provide specifications and choose suppliers who will offer a satisfactory product.
Great explanation! Posted a link to this post in our Resources section.

OP, New Haven? Are you going to mazda of Mitford? Dude make the trip up to Colonial in Danbury. They are way more honest than those guys down there. Theyve done break jobs under warranty for 16.5-18s cx5s when the breaks are wearing early.

Back