It happened again! CPO Warranty - Should this be covered?

:
2014 CX-5
Hi All - yesterday my son was driving our 2014 2.4 on Interstate 95 in New Haven and the engine started shaking and misfiring and he eventually lost all power. He was able to coast off an exit and the car was towed to a Mazda Dealer. Car has 92,000 miles and is well maintained.

Dealer says it needs plugs and engine coil replaced. That makes sense I suppose. Also they say an engine mount is cracked and the valve cover is leaking oil.

Service Advisor said that the engine coil and mount are NOT covered by the CPO Warranty but that the valve cover is covered.

The vehicle is within the Warranty coverage time, and the advisor claims he was surprised the coil and mount are not covered by warranty.

Does anyone know where to locate a list of covered CPO items? I can not locate it on Mazda’s site or anywhere else.

Any thoughts on the above? Seems to me the coil and mount should be covered items.

Thanks for your help and advice...

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...ed-warranty-booklet/2014-warranty-booklet.pdf

Engine mounts and the valve cover are absolutely covered under the powertrain warranty (page 20). The CPO warranty bumps the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100k miles. What was the first in-service date of the vehicle?

Great, thanks!

The CPO Warranty lasts until November of 2020, and I have the letter from Mazda Corporate showing the date and coverage period.

I’ll look at the link you provided and see if coil is also covered. Thanks again...!

Contacted the Service Advisor again and pointed out the coverage document. He said my VIN says “expired” when he enters it in his system for the Coil and the Mounts. Yet the Valve Gasket says “covered”. He said that’s weird but he can’t cover it when the system won’t allow for it.

Looks like I’ll need to contact Corporate...sigh.

Coils don't wear out in 92,000 miles. I've never had failed coil on any car I've ever owned with 200k+ miles. If only one had failed, that's understandable, but not all 4. Plugs are due at 100k miles.

I think firewall mounted coils used to be very reliable. The HV ignition wires took the heat and went bad. Now the coils take some heat from their location. They might fail from heat or vibration but I haven't had any fail yet.

Coils don't wear out in 92,000 miles. I've never had failed coil on any car I've ever owned with 200k+ miles. If only one had failed, that's understandable, but not all 4. Plugs are due at 100k miles.
Then you never owned a Nissan.

I'd be surprised if coils are covered. They're more than likely considered a wear item like batteries, tires and plugs.

Actually, GEN1 spark plug replacement is listed as 75,000 miles.

Not an answer to your question in any way but the only time I've had noticeable misfiring has been on cold start and never affected the drivability. A ignition coil may have gone bad due to age since your miles are low. I have 185k miles on my 2013, haven't touched the coils. Odd for the motor mount to go too. Manual transmission?

I agree the ignition coil pack should not be a wear item and should not fail at 92,000 miles unless the coil pack is poorly made. I also agree OP couldn’t have all 4 coil packs gone bad at the same time. Since coil pack is pretty expensive ($140 ? OEM list), OP should ask his dealer to provide error codes to show which cylinder is misfiring.

The spark plug change interval for 2.0L / 2.5L is 75,000 miles.

I’ve authorized the Mazda Dealer to replace the plugs and the one coil that has failed. I bought the car CPO at 68,000 miles and it’s been great for the last 3 years. I would normally have my indie check it out but it was in downtown New Haven, CT and still under warranty so I had it towed to the dealer. It’s my son’s car and they each have a job and we wanted it fixed ASAP.
Both my son’s love it (17 & 19) and it’s fun to drive when I take it out on certain days. I want to keep it for a few more years so I authorized the repair.
The cost was about $400 for the coil and the plugs and oil change. No idea if I got ripped, but as I said they are also replacing the valve cover gasket under the CPO warranty as they said it was leaking. I took a pass on fixing the cracked engine mount they mentioned. I’ll likely have that documented and see if Mazda will cover that under warranty.

I just hope the other coils don’t quit on me...

You must have never owned a GM vehicle with the 3.8L V6 or a Ford with the 4.6L V8. :)

You must have never owned a GM vehicle with the 3.8L V6 or a Ford with the 4.6L V8. :)

I've given up on anything GM 35 years ago. Bought new Buick Century Limited in 82, dealer scammed me for carburetor overhaul at 35k miles(should've been covered by emission warranty, but didn't know nothing about cars then), AC went out at 62k miles, tossed it in 1988 at 72k miles. Oh, power steering rack completely went out at 6,000 miles took them 4 tries to fix it under warranty, had to take bus for 4 weeks. No more GM for me ever since. But I had a couple of Fords, a new Bronco and an F150, had not owned for very long, but no problem, they were good.

I took a pass on fixing the cracked engine mount they mentioned. I’ll likely have that documented and see if Mazda will cover that under warranty.
Your CPO powertrain warranty will be ended after 7 years or 100,000 miles. At 92,000 miles you have only 8,000 miles left on it. I would call Mazda North American Operations and ask them to authorize free engine mount replacement right now to save your time for additional visit next time. Engine mount should be covered by CPO powertrain warranty based on dunhillmc‘s link. And failed engine mount is not unusual for a CX-5 with 92,000 miles base on member’s experience here.

I just hope the other coils don’t quit on me...
Ignition coil pack should be reliable. Now you’re getting more expensive new OEM spark plugs and an OEM coil pack you should be fine for a while.

Wondering if I will notice any difference with new factory plugs. More zip, smoother idle, better fuel economy, etc...

I’ll call Mazda Corp on the mounts and get it on record.

Wondering if I will notice any difference with new factory plugs. More zip, smoother idle, better fuel economy, etc...

I’ll call Mazda Corp on the mounts and get it on record.
You won’t feel too much difference with new plugs other than you shouldn’t get any codes and let your CX-5 falling into limp mode. You may see some tiny MPG increase but doubtful.

OP did your dash light up like Christmas lights? If so it was probably in need of a new car battery..........the engine mount crack and valve leak sounds suspect from the dealership. Some 2.4 skyactiv engines have some seepage at the valve cover but this is hardly a leak resulting in a valve job needed.

Picked up the car and drove it for a while today. Runs perfect. My impression and that of my older son is that the car is quieter and much smoother at idle. I popped the hood and it seemed to be purring vs my recent memory of the car.

Service guy told me that oil had seeped in to the plug well and caused the issue with the plug and coil failure. They repaired the valve cover under CPO warranty and I had them replace the plugs and the one coil.

No idea if the guy was giving me a line of crap on what caused it. He did say that the motor mount crack wasn’t a big deal...yet, and that I could put off fixing it for a bit.

I do wonder if the sound and vibration of the engine previously, which seemed a bit coarse vs now, was due to a bad plug and/or coil? I had assumed that the skyactive technology was a trade off of some smoothness for more power. Especially at start up and until warm it always seemed a bit loud and buzzy. Who knows.

Just glad it’s back and running great. My plan is to keep it for another 4 or 5 years.

Forgot to answer a few questions in previous posts.

Yes, the check engine and other dash lights all went on when it lost power and the engine was shaking according to my son. When I arrived at the scene, the car was turned off for about 20 minutes. I opened the hood, checked the oil (was fine) and he started it. It started but sounded awful and was engine was shaking. No dash lights upon restart but the rattling had us shut it right down and tow it.

The battery is 2 years old and checked out fine at the dealership today.

The vehicle is an automatic.

Thanks again!

Back