Issues I didn't expect from the new 2019 Mazda3

Honda's VCM have had issues for years and would never touch one again. My driver mirror on my cx9 vibrates as well.

That has been an issue on every Mazda I can think of. My CX-5 had it and I never bothered to get it fixed. Eventually, it really started to bother me and decided to get it fixed. But I was outside of the warranty and they said it would cost lots and decided against it.

Looking this morning at the energy flow animation. It's not a bug, its just cheaply made animation probably to save on processing power. Why animate a complete wheel rotation when you can just cycle between static images. It's not as if you are sat staring at it your entire journey.

Last edited:
Added another complaint

I have added another complaint. This time a very physical one: Badly shaped sheet metal on drivers door. By the way, all of the above have now been logged by Mazda Europe.
2019-06-04 21.15.00 MINI.jpg

- Cylinder deactivation is often noticed as a slight "notch" in the engine power (deceleration). During periods when cylinder deactivation occurs repeatedly, this "notch" becomes annoying.
- If driving less than 60 mph on 2 cylinders (in cylinder deactivation mode), noticeable vibrations penetrate the cabin. If you have ever driven a car with a 2 cylinder engine before, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Vibrations disappear when all cylinders are activated.

Hello, other European Mazda3 here and the same feeling (issue?) when the cylinder deactivation kicks in and kicks out. Sometimes it is smooth and unnoticed, other times, if you are paying attention you will feel it.

Yes we have 2.0L engines with this feature but I was expecting it was unnoticed at all times. It turns out that when you are smoothly cruising and you lift the gas pedal a bit, a small bump happens.

I was curious if it could be some issue with mine or if this is even an issue because it is barely noticed but yes it happens. Would be nice if there was some option to disable the feature.
Is there a way to join you in your report to Mazda? Any contact I can use?

Regarding the vibrations while on 2 cylinders it is just a matter of pressing the gas pedal a bit and force to go 4 cylinder. I don't see a problem in it. You can't complain also if your car vibrate because you are in a high gear (ex. 5th) riding in low speeds (ex. 30km/h). It will vibrate for sure.

The issue wth CD occurs most noticeably at 60-70 km/h on small constant inclines. The engine works hard at 1500 rpm, resulting in harsh vibrations. Yes, pressing the gas will deactivate CD for a moment, but return immediately when speed is constant.

I have reported all of the above to Mazda Denmark. If more owners report the same issues, they will forward it to Mazda Europe. If then enough EU customers object, Mazda Japan will be notified... 😑

Mostly I am annoid that most of these issues are software based, and could be solved relatively easily. And also, that Mazda has moved "premium" and should be have as such.

I've reported to dealership in Portugal but no importance was given. I bet it will never reach Mazda Portugal and even better Mazda Europe unless other owners complain about the same.

Hello. Have a new Mazda 3 Astina 2019 here in Australia. That is top of range with 2.5 ltr engine. I too have logged with Mazda dealer and will take further if I have to issues with cylinder deactivation. At 100 kph it is fine and unnoticeable and there seems to be a fuel saving but it anywhere between say 70 kph and up to about 95 kph when it kicks in it can feel like im driving a truck. You can feel vibration through the floor. It certainly isnt a smooth ride and takes away what should be a pleasant driving experience as most of the other things are pretty good. I had a 2014 Mazda 6 GT model and I loved that car, the 3 not so sure about as yet. Fix the CD and I might like it more. Waiting to hear back from Mazda but get the feeling that this is going to be a world wide issue that they will need to find a fix for. Happy for them just to get rid of it altogether or just make it 95 kph or above. If I get no joy from dealer then will take it up with head office out this way who aren't far from me. I'll take the CEO for a drive perhaps.

The cylinder deactivation is also annoying me. Programming is too aggressive and opts for 2-cylinder mode as often as possible. Transition isn't the smoothest and the vibrations are annoying.

I do get very good fuel economy on average. If the annoyance doesn't get worse, I can live with it. I just hope its reliable and durable.

I've brought these Issues to Mazda Denmark and been at the dealer/workshop to try to fix them. Only thing that have been fixed so far, is the rattling noise from the dash. Most other issues are being investigated (apparently...). Most recent bug is a wrongly calculated average fuel consumption. By documenting all trips, I noticed, that after about 2000 km on the trip, overall fuel consumption (not last trip consumption) started climbing. I went from average 5.7 l/100km, to 9.0 l/100km over an additional distance of about 1400 km. All trips driven in that interim were less than 6.0 l/100km. Obviously a software glitch (how could they get that wrong!?).

My dealer says they are waiting for Mazda Denmark to find out if the CD can be permanently switched off.

Still pissed about the unresponsive rain sensor also. Not nearly sensitive enough, even on the highest level.

I'll keep posting updates, if I get any.

Report back from Mazda dealer here in australia is that issue was also noticed in 2 other cars they test drove. They have notified head office and then mazda Japan so waiting to hear back if there will be a fix for this. For me the issue is too great a problem that I wont be just accepting and 'live with it'. If they dont fix this then the car will be returned under warranty as it is not what I paid for.

i got a 2019 bought in march 2.0l hatch and my only issues that bother me are the blind spot monitoring are all over the place, can't be trusted at all, turn on and off randomly while no car in the back. And the cylinder deactivation when running on 2 cylinders and applyiny little trhotle, the car vibrates alot and it's very annoying. Don't notice anything when the cylinders turn off, just that there's always a lagg when applying throtle, like almost half a second of nothing happening and then the car "wakes up" and starts accelarating. really annoying even when taking off you have to be careful since the delay can make you stall the car.

- Cylinder deactivation is often noticed as a slight "notch" in the engine power (deceleration). During periods when cylinder deactivation occurs repeatedly, this "notch" becomes annoying.
- If driving less than 60 mph on 2 cylinders (in cylinder deactivation mode), noticeable vibrations penetrate the cabin. If you have ever driven a car with a 2 cylinder engine before, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Vibrations disappear when all cylinders are activated.

The only flaws that I have noticed so far in this car, I have the European version 2.0, what can be done to make mazda aware of this?

The only flaws that I have noticed so far in this car, I have the European version 2.0, what can be done to make mazda aware of this?

Report the issue to Mazda Corporate. I guess you could also petition for signatures of those who are experiencing the same issue, with the intent to forward the petition to Mazda and show how widespread the problem is. That's about as much as the layman can do. When/if there are enough people making a stink about it, Mazda may address it publicly.

The vibration from being in cylinder deactivation makes this car feel like a POS . It really is not great to be vibrating down the road. Answer from Mazda so far has been "Normal Operation" AKA we don't know why it's doing that

lol Seth, even passenger trucks these days do not shake like this, in fact they are quite smooth. Maybe like one of the cube truck things. But I know exactly what you are talking about and I hate it. It's crossed my mind to rid myself of this car because of it......but how would you sell it. Tell there person : oh ya the shaking is a feature not a problem. From my research I think it is probably in their drivetrain software - it is too aggressive and activates at the wrong times. I have also had mine stuck in two cylinders. Real annoying. I have complained to both dealer and Corporate so I hope enough do the same and it makes it's way to Japan.

It is INEXCUSABLE not to include a switch to disable cylinder deactivation, just like BMW does. That way Mazda gets the EPA/other credit, but allows those that don't want it to opt out.

I did a 3 year lease on my CX-5, but will go back to Lexus if the CD proves problematic.

It is INEXCUSABLE not to include a switch to disable cylinder deactivation, just like BMW does. That way Mazda gets the EPA/other credit, but allows those that don't want it to opt out.

I did a 3 year lease on my CX-5, but will go back to Lexus if the CD proves problematic.

Dammit, I*m eyeballing a 3 hatchback when the lease is up on my CX5, and this is the one thing that might have me looking elsewhere. Definitely gonna test drive the crap out of it before making a decision.

Dammit, I*m eyeballing a 3 hatchback when the lease is up on my CX5, and this is the one thing that might have me looking elsewhere. Definitely gonna test drive the crap out of it before making a decision.

I am in the same boat as you are, but I will be buying and owning for years instead of leasing. If you lease, the car would be under warranty during lease term and there is no worry of CD failure post warranty like owning one. I would pull the trigger if I were you.

Back