2013~2016 Issue with replacing rear CX-5 shock...Any ideas?

Hey so I have a 2014 CX-5 and I am trying to change out my rear shock. I've got the nut off the back side of the bottom bolt and the top shock mount bolts are loose but I can't get the shock out of the thread and I can't pound the thread out. Any ideas?

Similar situation on a 2015 here. Doesn’t follow the service manual which calls for a bolt to be pulled from the opposite side rather than a flange nut that I found. The Remaining bolt has an 8 mm hex at the end which is small for a much larger rusty bolt.

Attachments

• 57CF9F43-A2E7-452C-9C46-0441FF1EF4C0.jpeg
    57CF9F43-A2E7-452C-9C46-0441FF1EF4C0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 660
Just replaced '13 MY manufactured in 2012 rear shocks. My shock bottom mount is exactly as the snapshot from the service manual above. While I was buying shocks, I discovered that vehicles manufactured after May 2013 have the new mount style (nut instead of bolt) hence the discrepancy with the service manual the users above experienced. The weirdest thing is that there are 2013 MY vehicles that were manufactured with the new mount and the shocks are different. Not sure about AWD models.
KYB Shocks model#:
Before May 2013- 349219 (Verified by me)
After May 2013- 34400313 (info from Amazon review for the above part)

Just replaced '13 MY manufactured in 2012 rear shocks. My shock bottom mount is exactly as the snapshot from the service manual above. While I was buying shocks, I discovered that vehicles manufactured after May 2013 have the new mount style (nut instead of bolt) hence the discrepancy with the service manual the users above experienced. The weirdest thing is that there are 2013 MY vehicles that were manufactured with the new mount and the shocks are different. Not sure about AWD models.
KYB Shocks model#:
Before May 2013- 349219 (Verified by me)
After May 2013- 34400313 (info from Amazon review for the above part)
Actually there’re at least 4 different versions of OEM rear shocks for gen-1 CX-5, and at least 3 more for gen-2 CX-5. And yes, 5/13/13 is one of the manufacture date having the shock change.

CX-5 Strut/Shock replacement

Did you reuse the plastic top mounts?

Yes I did, although the mount it self was metal, only the protector sleeve was plastic.
So the rear shock white top mount is made of metal?

877A6AB9-75E2-4F43-A9CF-68B2F110DB19.jpeg

There’re quite a few reports here that the rear shock top mount is cracked and needs to be replaced:

2014 Rear Shock Mount

2016 rear shock mount?

2016 CX-5 Rear Shock Mount

And:
“Saved about $40 per shock vs OEM reusing the old mounts, but YMMV. If I ever replace these again, I’ll get OEM for the included mounts.”
Yeah, the KYB mount was a no-go. Too small!

good news though is that the original mounts look fine. The rubber bushing looks to be in good condition. No cracks or damage. Florida car most of its life so conditions have been gentle.

rear shocks are replaced. You’ll need a 12mm box wrench and a pair of vice grips to remove the mount. Grab the stem with the vice grips and unscrew the 12mm nut. It had some blue lock tite, so I applied some when installing the mount to the new shock. Saved about $40 per shock vs OEM reusing the old mounts, but YMMV. If I ever replace these again, I’ll get OEM for the included mounts.

rear right shock was definitely bad lol. Some seepage down the side. Pic included to show it doesn’t push as far as the old drivers side.

On to the struts!

Also here:
Hi, I'm new here. I am a certified auto technician in Ontario Canada. I'm retired now but still get into repairing autos.
My GF 2015 CX 5 rear shock mount broke. I didn't want to rewplace the entire shock ($390.) Dealer CDN $
I did a lot of on line research & phone calls. Also looked for a used part.
Here is what I did , I used a top shock mount part # DA6A-28-380 from Mazda.
Used on a CX-3 2017.
Was $17 usd plus shipping.
I removed the old broken mount from the body, cut the damper cover at the bottom of the mount, removed the mount from the shock & installed the cx 3 mount to the shock & then to the body. I removed the cut portion of the damper cover from the inside of the old mount & before I installed the new mount I squeezed the upper damper cover into the new mount (not knowing this was only pressed in) I could have removed the cover from the mount without cutting it, but I think it would be difficult to install into the new mount. I used a vise. I applied some Lepage 2 in 1 sealant to hold the shock daamper cover in place.

So the rear shock white top mount is made of metal?

View attachment 303887

There’re quite a few reports here that the rear shock top mount is cracked and needs to be replaced:

2014 Rear Shock Mount

2016 rear shock mount?

2016 CX-5 Rear Shock Mount

And:
“Saved about $40 per shock vs OEM reusing the old mounts, but YMMV. If I ever replace these again, I’ll get OEM for the included mounts.”

Also here:
I can confirm it’s made of metal. The original shock mounts on my ‘13 with 95k miles are still intact.

I can confirm it’s made of metal. The original shock mounts on my ‘13 with 95k miles are still intact.
And these white metal rear shock mounts are prone to crack or break ⋯

Back