Is the Soul Red color still an issue on 2020’s?

Looks like more research is needed. The current films available (3M, Suntek, Xpel, etc.) are much better than they used to be 10 years ago. I found this quote from a PPF/tint forum, posted by a distributor in 2017:

A majority of the time it's discoloration due to the film just being dirty. It's more prevalent on white than any other color which is why it stands out more. But none the less, the film is just usually dirty from poor maintenance. The problem is when the products are pores, they open and close from the exposure of heat and sun which causes the elements like dirt, debris, pollen, chemicals, etc... to soak into the product and therefore get locked in if the surface isn't maintained. I think we as an industry wish the films were self maintaining but they aren't and will always need some type of maintenance. We are seeing more companies add coatings to the top of the film to help with that type of defense and utilize PPF as more of a chip protection to the paint.

Meaning, once you get the PPF installed, you maintain the PPF just as you would the paint. Clean it every once in a while, make sure it has some form of UV protection (wax, sealant or ceramic coating) just to be safe, and you're golden.

I think its just hard to find a dealer/body shop who actually knows how to properly respray SRCM or MGM. If you try to respray it like a typical paint, it won't come out well. I've heard of some shops getting a PPG rep to show them how to paint SRCM and MGM, and the repairs are supposed to be quite good.

I've had to get some significant paint repairs done to my MGM paint, and it came out looking brand new. That said, I think SRCM is harder to paint than MGM, and I have yet to see anyone post the results of an SRCM repaint (good or bad).
Still got the original 3M film for nearly 9 years.

I also have the newer 3M Pro. Big difference between the two. PPF in general is really forgiving in that you can use a bug sponge and it won't harm it assuming you're not putting some muscle in your scrubbing. The real difference between PPF using tech from the early 2000's and the newer ones post 2015 is the newer ones have self healing properties and are more forgiving from hits. That said they will take in damage if hit really hard with rocks.

My son is interested in either a cx 30 or cc 5 in the soul red color. I told him about the issues the color has regarding chipping. The dealer said that was resolved and no longer happens. Anybody know if that’s true?
I have 20,000 miles on my 2019 soul red CX 5, just a few small chips on the hood that are hardly noticeable. But the paint on my 10 year old Ford seems much more durable.

Gen 1 and gen 2 cars have the same Soul Red color? I thought that the gen 2s are different.

My son is interested in either a cx 30 or cc 5 in the soul red color. I told him about the issues the color has regarding chipping. The dealer said that was resolved and no longer happens. Anybody know if that’s true?
Just bought a 21 cx30 - had it 6 weeks and IT’S CHIPPING!!

I've got a 2020 Soul Red. When I bought it with around 4k miles (dealer loaner) it had a small chip and three other small ones clustered together which I had the dealer touch up. (See post #33 above.)

Update: Now with about 7.5k miles I can see only one cluster of three which makes me think they're the old ones with the touch-up having come off. These chips and the one I cannot find at the moment are half-to-two thirds up the hood, none on the nose where they are most often found on most cars. The vehicle was treated with Nu Finish at about 5k miles, then treated with rust remover, then Nu Finished again if that makes any difference, probably not.

Compared to my previous vehicles I'd consider this on par or better.

Of course all it takes to accumulate chips is driving behind a dump truck dropping gavel out the back or a car in front spinning wheels on a gravel road.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's are better products than 3M but even their paint protection film is way better these days. I have 3M film that's 8 years old (outdated product line) on our white CX-5 and has not yellowed.

Today's film are more resilient, can self heal, not prone to discolor, and easier to install. I've installed them myself. If I were to buy a Red CX-5 I would have the front bumper, hood, lights, and fenders protected asap.
Is your protective film vinyl?

Back