Is Mazda's upcoming CX-30 on your shopping list?

Antoine

Administrator
First post and thread in our newest forum!

I know a discussion has already started in the CX-5 forum on this new model...Let's keep it going over here...Who's interested in picking up a CX-30?

For those unfamiliar with the announcement...You can check it out here... https://www.mazdausa.com/cx-30

Hi Antoine. Im actually thinking of moving up from our cx5 to a 9 next go round.....Ill check it out though when the time comes...got a few more yrs on the cx5 though. Its been great through 75k miles so far!

We've already got a CX-9, so not likely that we would consider the CX-30 at this point. I think it would have been great for us if it was just the wife and I, but wifey wants at least a couple of little ones so we knew we'd need the extra room in the future.

Hi Antoine. I'm actually thinking of moving up from our cx5 to a 9 next go round.....I'll check it out though when the time comes...got a few more yrs on the cx5 though. It's been great through 75k miles so far!

Hi! Cool! Happy to hear your CX-5 is treating you well and that you're thinking of going for the CX-9 next time...Got to say the CX-8 is quite popular here in Japan despite its larger size (larger tends to be less convenient for parking etc).

Let us know your thoughts on the CX-30 if you see one! :D

We've already got a CX-9, so not likely that we would consider the CX-30 at this point. I think it would have been great for us if it was just the wife and I, but wifey wants at least a couple of little ones so we knew we'd need the extra room in the future.

I hear ya...Yeah perhaps that's what Mazda is aiming for with the CX-30...People without kids, couples, singles who desire more space than the CX-3 offers...Who also like the CX-30 styling more as well...

I hear ya...Yeah perhaps that's what Mazda is aiming for with the CX-30...People without kids, couples, singles who desire more space than the CX-3 offers...Who also like the CX-30 styling more as well...

I like the look of the front and the rear, but the thick plastic cladding around the wheel arches isn't for me. Maybe if they made it half as thick around the arches, it might be more appealing (to me).

Honestly, if they put the Miata engine into the CX-3, I would buy that as a commuter car. I moved from a CX-5 to a CX-9 and love it but miss the smaller car. For just me driving to work and around town, I could see a CX-3, the CX-30 or the Mazda 3 all working.

I like the look of the front and the rear, but the thick plastic cladding around the wheel arches isn't for me. Maybe if they made it half as thick around the arches, it might be more appealing (to me).
Kind of a dealbreaker for me too. Rear looks good, but the cladding looks cheapo and awful.

Yeah not a fan of too much plastic cladding as well...That said, depending on the angle, it seems to blend in with the overall design nicely...I do like the CX-30's sleek lines.

I'm not an expert obviously but it seems like this use of plastic cladding is a cost saving / production efficiency strategy...Hopefully it turns into a "Win Win" for Mazda...The more success they have the more likely we might see a powerful flagship model someday or at least the return of MAZDASPEED to the lineup!

Yeah not a fan of too much plastic cladding as well...That said, depending on the angle, it seems to blend in with the overall design nicely...I do like the CX-30's sleek lines.

I'm not an expert obviously but it seems like this use of plastic cladding is a cost saving / production efficiency strategy...Hopefully it turns into a "Win Win" for Mazda...The more success they have the more likely we might see a powerful flagship model someday or at least the return of MAZDASPEED to the lineup!

Ya, I think the cladding is a design element as well, also good for protection from road debris. I dont care for it, but everyone is doing it. I think MAZDASPEED is dead, unfortunately!
[emoji53]

The wife and I like the CX-30 but a big factor, for us, will be the actual release in the U.S. Her lease is up August 6th so if it is after that date, then it will not be a serious contender.

As for the cladding, the CX-5 has it but it is not as prominent. Another thought is that they are using it to give the vehicle that 4x4 look.

The wife and I like the CX-30 but a big factor, for us, will be the actual release in the U.S. Her lease is up August 6th so if it is after that date, then it will not be a serious contender.

As for the cladding, the CX-5 has it but it is not as prominent. Another thought is that they are using it to give the vehicle that 4x4 look.
CX-5 cladding is tasteful...though the gaudy front end does ruin that for me a bit.

when the lease is up on the cx-3 i might upgrade to the cx-30 as it seems a bit more spacious and "rugged" than the cx-3 but not for another 2 years.

Agreed, the cladding is so wide/prominent on the 30. When reviewer thought it made the vehicle look taller like it had big wheels and tires...so ya, the 4x4 look!

Last edited:
Ahhh...Yeah, good point about possibly going for a more rugged look although the sheetmetal is still very sleek and sporty...Looking at it again, it does seem to be raised up a bit...

I wonder just how much the CX-30 shares with the Mazda3...Hmmm...

I don't know...a 4x4 in my book is not at all that sort of car....

Guess we'll see what happens.

I'm very interested, as it's gonna be cheaper than the CX-5 and closer to the CX-3 (that we currently have) in size and price (hopefully only slightly more expensive).

I would love the Skyactiv-X but the normal Skyactiv-G is fine. I'm gonna try both though, when they are released.

I'm very interested, as it's gonna be cheaper than the CX-5 and closer to the CX-3 (that we currently have) in size and price (hopefully only slightly more expensive).

I would love the Skyactiv-X but the normal Skyactiv-G is fine. I'm gonna try both though, when they are released.

Although a much lower price point, would the CX-30 be considered in the same class as the X1, CLA, & Q3? If so, I can't see it competing
in the NA market with Skyactiv-G (which is what is rumored to power the NA version).

The Q3 just upped the ante with it's forthcoming sportsback: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26824380/audi-q3-sportback-confirmed-2020/

I just hope that Mazda doesn't slow play and start us with the less powerful engine. I guess we'll have to wait until the LA Auto Show to find out- I'm
hoping details are released during the NYAS in April.

I think in here Europe, the CX-30 will target the Nissan Quashqai, Opel Grandland, Renault Kadjar and the like.
The X1, GLA and Q3 are in a different segment and a bit more expensive and more on price with the CX-5.

Back