Instrumentation Wish

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I can't remember where now but I think I've seen a dashboard instrument that shows percentage of power delivery to front and rear axels. Certainly not necessary but would be fun to have and maybe useful in wheel slippage situations.

I can't remember where now but I think I've seen a dashboard instrument that shows percentage of power delivery to front and rear axels. Certainly not necessary but would be fun to have and maybe useful in wheel slippage situations.
Yup, and Bluetooth OBD2, Torque Pro App, Android Auto to your screen, and custom PID. This is one area where Google will know more than me....

Gee, only took 4 replies before someone someone gave you a useful lead. - I'll try to not dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back

Yup, and Bluetooth OBD2, Torque Pro App, Android Auto to your screen, and custom PID. This is one area where Google will know more than me....

Gee, only took 4 replies before someone someone gave you a useful lead. - I'll try to not dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back

Useful lead? Where?

Mind your shoulder and pat yourself all you want but I certainly don't see where you answered the OP's question...

lol. You use the mirror when in reverse instead of the camera? The back up camera gives a much better unobstructed view than the mirror.
Didn't you say this?

"I would like an option to have the rear view camera on while driving."

Why ask this then?

"You use the mirror when in reverse instead of the camera? The back up camera gives a much better unobstructed view than the mirror."

I personally use the rear view/side view mirrors to see behind me while driving, as most people likely do.

Do any other manufacturers give you the option to display the rear camera view while driving at speed? I assume not, as I feel like this would just be a big distraction (main focus should be on what's going on in front of you), but if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know which cars do this.

Absolutely I use my mirrors when in reverse! That's what they're there for! I never turn my head to look over my shoulder, ever.

Literally the only thing I've found that the reverse camera is good for is knowing *precisely* where to stop, to the inch, when backing into a parking space.

Didn't you say this?

"I would like an option to have the rear view camera on while driving."

Why ask this then?

"You use the mirror when in reverse instead of the camera? The back up camera gives a much better unobstructed view than the mirror."
For me, I would like to have the option to have the camera view while driving forward. I never use my mirror when going in reverse, I use the camera view. Some expensive cars give that option.

Last edited:
For me, I would like to have the option to have the camera view while driving forward. I never use my mirror when going in reverse, I use the camera view. Some expensive cars give that option.

Ah I see, thanks for linking the video. I suppose one might be able to "hack" the infotainment system somehow to enable that function. The previous gen's infotainment could be modded with MazdaAIO if I remember right, but I'm not sure if these models can be.

Anyway, back on topic guys. Thanks.

I personally use the rear view/side view mirrors to see behind me while driving, as most people likely do.

Do any other manufacturers give you the option to display the rear camera view while driving at speed? I assume not, as I feel like this would just be a big distraction (main focus should be on what's going on in front of you), but if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know which cars do this.

My motorhome has an aftermarket infotainment system (Kenwood) and the rear view camera can be turned on at any time you like. It comes on automatically when shifted into reverse as well of course. This comes in handy when checking on my bikes on the bike rack or checking on my trailer, which contains my motorcycle.

My motorhome has an aftermarket infotainment system (Kenwood) and the rear view camera can be turned on at any time you like. It comes on automatically when shifted into reverse as well of course. This comes in handy when checking on my bikes on the bike rack or checking on my trailer, which contains my motorcycle.
The 360 camera can be turned on anytime on our CX-5. I think it turns off after a set period of time, though.

My 2019 3 hatchback came with a back-up camera. Naturally. Was looking forward to it operating like our 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Guidelines. Trend lines. Well, the Mazda came without the trend line feature. Disappointed as the trend line part of the back -up display is a real work reducer in parking. The rear-view mirrors of today are a vast improvement over those of long ago. But the back-up camera (even without trend lines) is a very welcome addition to the reversing task. I back into every parking space possible. Why? The back-up camera provides a very good view of the space. All of it. And, most importantly, no other cars are driving in that space. Nor, almost without exception, are any people walking there. Upon leaving, I’m looking forward into the space where any car, any person can happen to appear: the driving lane. Unexpectedly. Teaching all drivers of each vehicle so equipped how to use the new tool should be mandatory.

Back