Installing the drivers seat 3 inches backward

deisz001

:
2005 Mazda5 1.8 MT
Hi all,

I received a PM about a modification my dealership has made to allow more driver-legroom. Since more people may be interested, I opened a new topic. They installed two steel bars on the floor and then installed the seat to those bars. The drivers seat is now about 3 inches more backward.
Mazda part number is supposed to be 2200950100, but I haven't been able to find it on the Internet...

I attached some photo's of the drivers seat right hand side.

Cheers! Stefan.

IMGP7051_resize.JPGIMGP7048_resize.JPGIMGP7050_resize.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting! I am 6' tall but I've never had an issue with needing more room to scoot back. What I would really want is better thigh support by raising the front of the bottom cushion an inch or two. I've tried the mod someone did here with the spacers and longer bolts but it just doesn't line up properly. Anyway, good info for those that need this. On a side note, the dealership should have replaced those rusty old bolts for you...oh well!

Thank you for posting this! I'm going to use those pics to make some for myself. The extra legroom would be appreciated at 6'5".

I agree that the front of the seat is a bit on the low side. But there's a nice side-effect of this mod: By installing the bars, the front is lifted a bit, so it does help a tiny bit in that department too :)
I had a Demio before the 5 and never understood why the Demio had better seats: they slided much more backward and front and back could be adjusted independently.

Davicho, try threading in the longer bolts first, then running in the ones at the back. If you leave the cushion bolted, even with the back bolts loose, the front holes wont line up due to the tilt. You must remove all the bolts, then thread in the ones with the spacers and once you let the cushion down, you will be able to catch the backs easily.

I've never had a problem with my 2006 sport driver seat having enough leg room, but I test-drove a 2009 touring today, and the seat just didn't seem to go back as far as on my 2006. It almost felt like the seat wasn't installed right. Am I loosing my mind or is there something different I'm missing?

>>> updated from original post>>>
Never mind... there was something I was missing... remembering how to use the pump-lever on the front left side of the seat that raises and lowers the seat height. The height mechanism kind of swings forward and back on the rails... the net result being that as you lower the seat, it slides further back on the upper rails and gives you more leg room. I felt rather stupid as the a dealer showed me how this worked. All is good. For anyone who wonders about this... give that lever a try, because I think the factory default position sets this high...

Last edited:
Hi new member here. I just got a 2013 Mazda 5 GT. I am very interested in the brackets. I am 6' 5" and my knees are jammed against the dash. Would it be possible to for you to get me a set from your dealer. I would pay what they would cost or information for somebody I could contact.

I know this thread is over a year old but I want a solution to be able to move the seat back. I have spent hours trying to find something with no luck.Thanks in advance for any information you could give/help.

I am working on fabricating a set of brackets like the one pictured above. I got a wooden form made of the shape of the floor. I am using a press brake to bend 3/8x2 steel.I will try to get some pictures soon.

Just curious, so please don't get upset, but why would you buy this vehicle if you didn't fit in it? I'm 6'1" myself and its dangerously close to being uncomfortable for me and my size 12 feet. Dress shoes are flat out dangerous to drive in and that's with modifications! Had I test drove the car with them, I literally would NOT have bought it. There are tons of cars out there I wouldn't even consider for size reasons.

I know everybody asks me that question. Well I really don't fit into most cars on the market. I wanted a mini van that got decent gas mileage and didn't cost a lot. It was also a compromise since my wife will be driving the 5 on a daily basis.She didn't want a "mini van" so she wouldn't look at any of the larger ones on the market. Since this is the most car like we chose this. I fit but have no knee room for long trips. I looked at a company called www.extendmyseat.com they said they don't make one for the mazda5 but could custom make some for $1500. they are also located in CA. I have the tools to make the brackets so I am going to give it a shot.

Side note I drive a mazda2 every day 100 miles round trip and have no fitment problems for that car.

Fwiw, the last gen Nissan Versa 5 door had a ridiculous amount of room. Not just for a car that size, for any car of any size!

You are absolutely right...

Fwiw, the last gen Nissan Versa 5 door had a ridiculous amount of room. Not just for a car that size, for any car of any size!

I just recently helped a friend work out a deal to purchase the Versa Note. I was in the back seat when she test drove it. It was rediculous how much room my legs had, it felt like a Cadillac. I don't know how they figured it out and if it's safe. The room is amazing, not much of a trunk tough...

I too would appreciate the extra legroom. I'm only 6 ft tall but I'm disabled so it would help with getting in and out as well as driving. And similar to some other Mazda 5 owners I also had a duhhhh moment when I picked up the car (used). Before leaving I raised the seat not knowing that I was loosing legroom. As I drove home I'm thinking WTF! OMG! how did I not notice how little legroom the car had!(uhm) I did some research when I got home...not sure where I read it but I was a happy camper once I lowered the seat and got my legroom back! And as far as the other comments re why did I buy it if I need more legrom? I wanted the sliding door and I too did not want a full size minivan. Been there done that twice and most of the time I drive alone now. But I'm still looking for more legroom. I was happy to find deisz001's comment about the brackets he had installed in the Netherlands. I contacted a local dealer and the part number was not valid here. So I emailed a dealer in The Netherlands (using google translate) and they wrote back telling me the brackets are not made by Mazda but rather by Bever Car Products in the Netherlands. I then emailed Bever and unfortunately they don't have a distributer outside of Europe, and they don't sell privately. They carry these "seat Adjusters" for many vehicles not just Mazdas. Thats as far as I got. Might be a good opportunity for a North American parts distributer to pick up this product?

Last edited:
I NEED THAT, I am a little concerned that when I get my hand controls put in on my 5, I won't have enough space to get out because of the small seat travel backward. I really would love a little more backward seat travel...:(

Last edited:
Mazda seat shifter brackets

I am working on fabricating a set of brackets like the one pictured above. I got a wooden form made of the shape of the floor. I am using a press brake to bend 3/8x2 steel.I will try to get some pictures soon.

Just wondering how this turned out? I too am looking for something similar, but for the passenger side so my 6'4" husband can comfortably ride in my car occasionally.

Just wondering how this turned out? I too am looking for something similar, but for the passenger side so my 6'4" husband can comfortably ride in my car occasionally.

I also would like to know how this turned out! Thanks!

Back