2021 CX-5 CD Player Options?

Convert your FLAC to WAV. WAV works on the USB stick and will sound the same as FLAC.
This is correct. Wav and flac are absolutely identical, and are identical to a CD. Whatever you do, avoid mp3. It's an ancient and necessarily awful (because of the state of technology in 1993) file format made for Windows 3.1 and 14.4kbps dial-up modems. Technology has advanced just a little since 1993.

It will not work. They have been tried over and over on vehicles without CD players. As CX5_Driver stated, there are no drivers in the head unit to recognize it.
If it won't work I am curious as to how or why the poster in the the link I attached to my post #35 above was able to get his portable CD to work with no problems.

If it won't work I am curious as to how or why the poster in the the link I attached to my post #35 above was able to get his portable CD to work with no problems.
Which is the whole reason I linked to the portable one on Amazon. It's $15, free returns if it doesn't work. Totally worth a shot if you ask me.

Because that one was designed to work without a driver. I didn't see a link to where to purchase it. Here's one that should work, but it's not cheap >LINK

Have you checked your library's website to see if they have audiobooks to download? My library used to have a huge number of books on CD (and before that cassettes) but now mainly offers downloads, rather than physical media. I use a free program called Audacity to combine the parts of the audiobooks into one big MP3 containing the whole book. I run the MP3 through iTunes to add cover art (can usually find the audiobook cover JPG on Amazon or Audible) and then save the MP3 as an audiobook, which means it picks up where it left off when restarting. Finally I put the MP3 on a USB stick to use in the CX-5.

Bluetooth/AA/ACP has improved most aspects of in-car audio, but there is definitely still a case to be made for CDs (besides nostalgia). Personally, I sometimes miss the 6-disc CD player that my IS250 had. It had individual buttons from 1-6 corresponding to the discs in the changer, so if I felt like listening to a specific album, I just had to push the button. With bluetooth, I have to unlock the phone, then navigate to the folder display, scroll to the album I want, then pick a song.

If you gave me the choice between bluetooth and CD, I'd choose bluetooth every time, but there is still some merit to a multi-disc CD player IMO.

Because that one was designed to work without a driver. I didn't see a link to where to purchase it. Here's one that should work, but it's not cheap >LINK

Company used in video:

and look at this the CX-5 is listed!:

which is not the same as @theblooms posted which is a very basic and non intelligent cd drive.

here it is on Amazon

They used to sell portable CD players with headphone jacks. I have one that uses AA batteries and can decode MP3s as well as audio CDs.

They used to sell portable CD players with headphone jacks. I have one that uses AA batteries and can decode MP3s as well as audio CDs.
They stopped including the Aux ports on the CX-5 in 2020 I believe. Our 2019 has one.

<dons tinfoil hat>

I completely get why people still want CD players. I have just under 400 CD's, which I did convert to flac. It took me 2 months, so I understand why people don't want to go through that. I'm not even sure I would bother with it again. Converting them one at a time as you buy them, that's easy. But sitting down and converting your entire collection? OOF. It was painful.

I truly believe that we are heading to a society where no one but our "overlords" actually own anything. I like physical media. Why? Because someone can't push a button and take away my property. Taking away my property has to adhere to a set of guidelines driven by due process. When you don't own anything, then you have nothing to take away.

A bunch of 1's and 0's can be oh so easily erased, never to be seen from again.
"Hey, my stuff is missing!"
"I'm sorry Mr. Doe, but I have no record of you ever having purchased that."

When I own the physical CD, it's mine. It belongs to me. If I so choose to convert it to a digital format for my convenience, then that's on me. But I still have the archived physical copy sitting in my collection.

<removes hat>

I installed a Kenwood DDX in both of my Mazda's. They are fan-freaking-tastic.

For the benefit of the OP, if he considers converting CDs to a phone or memory stick, I'll share my recent experience having no prior familiarity with either iTunes, smart phones or Car Play. That's right--my first smart phone is an iPhone SE (2020) purchased a couple of months ago. That's a story nobody wants to hear I'm sure. Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Downloaded iTunes to my laptop. It's free. It's takes a little bit of time to figure it out but not much. Once you figure out how to burn one CD it's just rinse and repeat. I've used Real Player in the past; iTunes is comparable in terms of ease of use.

2) Burned 430 CDs to my laptop hard drive using Apple's AAC format with files about 1/3 the size of Apple's ALAC lossless format. For cars with base stereos like mine, with wind, road and engine noise on top of that, I reckoned ALAC would provide little if any benefit. AAC is purportedly cleaner than MPG without taking up too much additional space, so I went with that middle ground. I still have the CDs and a home audio system for a higher quality listening experience when in the mood. Personal preference and how you use the files would apply to format selection. If I was getting rid of the CDs altogether in lieu of these files for a lifetime I'd have gone with lossless.

This burning step is a time suck and might be the best reason to buy a CD player for the car. On the other hand, having 430 albums at your fingertips has its own advantages. When embarking on a burning marathon, it's good to have something you can multi-task in 3 or 5 minute chunks as you wait for a CD to burn before loading the next.

3) Once that was complete, I imported them to my iPhone. Very easy, very fast, with iTunes preinstalled on the phone. You might have to download that app to the phone which should be no big deal. Installing a version upgrade certainly was not.

4) Sync the iPhone to the CX-5. I just followed the directions in the car manual. I can't recall if the manual had the usual head fake or not, but the process turned out to be very simple as I recall.

5) Set the audio source to my phone, navigate the music files on the phone's iTunes, and play. I can't imagine a better interface than what the phone provides. I can't speak to how a memory stick in the auxiliary port works.

I bet if you were willing to take on a new short-term hobby (the burn step) you would not regret it. You declutter the car, have more console and cubby room for other stuff, and there's no way you'd have a large number of CDs at your fingertips. If your CD collection is quite small then fugetaboutit--buy a cheap CD player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you could get one of those FM transmitters to transmit the CD output.

I have a really old one built into a 12vdc plug with a wire with the 1/8th plug for a headphone jack. It has a small tuning wheel to adjust the frequency.

For the benefit of the OP, if he considers converting CDs to a phone or memory stick, I'll share my recent experience having no prior familiarity with either iTunes, smart phones or Car Play. That's right--my first smart phone is an iPhone SE (2020) purchased a couple of months ago. That's a story nobody wants to here I'm sure. Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Downloaded iTunes to my laptop. It's free. It's takes a little bit of time to figure it out but not much. Once you figure out how to burn one CD it's just rinse and repeat. I've used Real Player in the past; iTunes is comparable in terms of ease of use.

2) Burned 430 CDs to my laptop hard drive using Apple's AAC format with files about 1/3 the size of Apple's ALAC lossless format. For cars with base stereos like mine, with wind, road and engine noise on top of that, I reckoned ALAC would provide little if any benefit. AAC is purportedly cleaner than MPG without taking up too much additional space, so I went with that middle ground. I still have the CDs and a home audio system for a higher quality listening experience when in the mood. Personal preference and how you use the files would apply to format selection. If I was getting rid of the CDs altogether in lieu of these files for a lifetime I'd have gone with lossless.

This burning step is a time suck and might be the best reason to buy a CD player for the car. On the other hand, having 430 albums at your fingertips has its own advantages. When embarking on a burning marathon, it's good to have something you can multi-task in 3 or 5 minute chunks as you wait for a CD to burn before loading the next.

3) Once that was complete, I imported them to my iPhone. Very easy, very fast, with iTunes preinstalled on the phone. You might have to download that ap to the phone which should be no big deal. Installing a version upgrade certainly was not.

4) Sync the iPhone to the CX-5. I just followed the directions in the car manual. I can't recall if the manual had the usual head fake or not, but the process turned out to be very simple as I recall.

5) Set the audio source to my phone, navigate the music files on the phone's iTunes, and play. I can't imagine a better interface than what the phone provides. I can't speak to how a memory stick in the auxiliary port works.

I bet if you were willing to take on a new short-term hobby (the burn step) you would not regret it. You declutter the car, have more console and cubby room for other stuff, and there's no way you'd have a large number of CDs at your fingertips. If your CD collection is quite small then fugetaboutit--buy a cheap CD player.
Instead of doing all of that, I used a free program called Exact Audio Copy or EAC for short. You can run multiple instances of the program, too. However many CD-ROM drives you have installed, that's how many copies of EAC can run at the same time.

Setting up EAC the very first time can be slightly intimidating, as there are many options. But there are comprehensive guides on the web as to what the best settings are to get perfect results the first time.

After that, insert disc, and press either "WAV" or "Compress". 5 minutes later, you have your album on your hard drive.

Instead of doing all of that, I used a free program called Exact Audio Copy or EAC for short. You can run multiple instances of the program, too. However many CD-ROM drives you have installed, that's how many copies of EAC can run at the same time.

Setting up EAC the very first time can be slightly intimidating, as there are many options. But there are comprehensive guides on the web as to what the best settings are to get perfect results the first time.

After that, insert disc, and press either "WAV" or "Compress". 5 minutes later, you have your album on your hard drive.
I don't see how that's any simpler than what I outlined which is about as simple as anything extant. I just took more time to detail the steps. ;)

They stopped including the Aux ports on the CX-5 in 2020 I believe. Our 2019 has one.
My 2020 has an AUX port. It's in the center console compartment next to the non-AUX USB port.

As for whether one can run a CD player through that port, the 2020 manual states on page 5-15:

"Audio can be heard from the vehicle's
speakers by connecting a
commercially-available portable audio
unit to the auxiliary jack.
A commercially-available, non-impedance
(3.5 ) stereo mini plug cable is required."

So, it would appear to be possible.

You're saying you own 1 CD and are upset that you can't play it in your new CX-5?
The rational assumption would be he's referring to having a 6 disc player in one vehicle vs. a 1 disc player in the next vs. no disc player in the one after that. Been there, done that.

As I remember the OP was primarily interested in audiobooks. The problem with external CD players is that they most likely won't resume play from where they're stopped which would be a problem with a book.

Either ripping solution is a better bet, whether you're a Android or iPhone user. That also gives you the advantage of taking books with you to any car with a BT connection.

FWIW I'm a Windows / Android guy, and the EAC solution is what I've been doing for years. It really is a 5 minute shot from CD > PC> phone. The only tricky part is making sure your tags are straight, I've never ripped an audiobook so don't know how it gets indexed..

Bluetooth/AA/ACP has improved most aspects of in-car audio, but there is definitely still a case to be made for CDs (besides nostalgia). Personally, I sometimes miss the 6-disc CD player that my IS250 had. It had individual buttons from 1-6 corresponding to the discs in the changer, so if I felt like listening to a specific album, I just had to push the button. With bluetooth, I have to unlock the phone, then navigate to the folder display, scroll to the album I want, then pick a song.

If you gave me the choice between bluetooth and CD, I'd choose bluetooth every time, but there is still some merit to a multi-disc CD player IMO.
I agree. Physical CDs in a physical CD player is way better for ease of use except for some critical factors: How many CDs can you jam in the center console? How much fumbling around do you have to do to find one buried at the bottom? Do you even remember what's at the bottom? How many CDs do you never listen to because they're in the rack at home that you never get around to swapping into the car? What other use do you have for that center console storage?

Clearly, while driving, going from one song or one album to another among 6 discs in a player is way easier than the alternative of futzing with a phone which I consider unsafe to begin with. On the other hand, I was just listening today to Joan Osborne's "Relish", a CD I had not thought about in years, which I gave a spin after spotting it on a scroll through the phone. I forgot how great a record that is. If I was working old school CD player who knows how long it would have been before it made it into the car.

Back