2021 CX-5 CD Player Options?

It seems I got a yes and a no so I tried it today. On a USB thumb drive with all the songs in the root it did indeed resume where it left off in my 2020. I didn't try it with multiple folders so maybe that's different.
I have 2 identical 128GB flash drives that I use in both our vehicles. Both pick up where it left off. Folders on the root are artists. Inside each are albums. My Lexus has a max limit for folders, so not all songs are accessible. I have not witnessed this limitation on the CX-5, so it's even better!

Hey guys. thank you for all those suggestions. I wanted to take the Aux Port (supposed to be 3.5mm jack) route. HOWEVER, believe it or not, I could not find such a port in my car (2021 CX-5)!!! I even texted my dealer and they told me in the center console. NO... I still didnt see it. In center console, there is one cigarette light outlet, two USB ports and a SD card slot. Anyone with the same car, could you please let me know? I have to assume now that it doesn't have it, even though the window sticker says it has it.

Hey guys. thank you for all those suggestions. I wanted to take the Aux Port (supposed to be 3.5mm jack) route. HOWEVER, believe it or not, I could not find such a port in my car (2021 CX-5)!!! I even texted my dealer and they told me in the center console. NO... I still didnt see it. In center console, there is one cigarette light outlet, two USB ports and a SD card slot. Anyone with the same car, could you please let me know? I have to assume now that it doesn't have it, even though the window sticker says it has it.
So, 2021's don't have this?

aux-port-location-mazda-cx-5.jpg

Yep, my 2020 has one. But it's not all that surprising they took it out on the 2021's since actual headphone jacks - without dongles anyway - are also being phased out on so many phones these days.

But I got curious and found this USB CD player on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It seems to either have raves or hates depending on the vehicle you try it on. It's also really spendy for a CD player @ $210. I did see a review from a guy with a 2019 CX-5 who said it worked. Read the reviews carefully, there are many different opinions on how well it actually integrates with different car's audio controls, some good, some not so much.

I tried to connect up a portable CD/DVD player (that I use with my laptop) via it's USB cable to the USB port in the center consul of my 2018 CX-5. I inserted a CD and the unit powers up but I am unable to select the USB1 option on the Infotainment screen. I can see it and it is faintly grey. I can scroll down on to and through the several other options above it (FM, AM, Pandora, etc.) and up to the USB1 option but for some reason it won't allow me to scroll on to and select the USB1, What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
The Mazda Infotainment system is expecting to see a USB stick with audio files (.mp3 etc) or a smartphone if you have the CarPlay option installed. It's not going to work with the USB from an external CD player.

I miss my CD player on my 2014 CX5. They have dumbed down my joy with my 2021 GTR by taking away one of my joys in driving. Sham on the MAZDA bean counters. Ed

I miss my CD player on my 2014 CX5. They have dumbed down my joy with my 2021 GTR by taking away one of my joys in driving. Sham on the MAZDA bean counters. Ed
Can you explain what joy having a CD player brought? To me, it's a joy not having to drag around all of those cases.

I only had 6 CDs that I used in my CX-7 (6 CD drive). My 2014 took it down to a 1 CD drive and my 2021 took it all away.

Seems to me @erhayes likes using CDs and wants to play them in his 2021 CX-5 (like he used to be able to do in his previous CX-7 and 2014 CX-5).

erhayes...Do any of the possible solutions posted in this thread help?

The Mazda Infotainment system is expecting to see a USB stick with audio files (.mp3 etc) or a smartphone if you have the CarPlay option installed. It's not going to work with the USB from an external CD player.
On another Mazda forum a poster shows a portable CD player he installed inside his glove box, rerouted one of the USB ports from the center console to behind the glove box and he has no problems playing CD's. Mine you, his CD player looks more like a conventional vehicle player as it has a slot where you insert a CD and it is drawn into the player.

See his pictures and comments on post #4 here:

My portable CD/DVD player has a tray that opens up to insert the CD then close the drawer. Maybe it has something to do with software installed on the player that allows the vehicles audio system to recognize it.

Last edited:
Try this. If it doesn't work, send it back.

That is NOT going to work. Period. The USB port might power the drive but the entertainment system is NOT a personal computer and thus does not have the "intelligence" to operate an external CD drive as linked in that manner.

It would show as a drive, exactly ad a thumb drive would. Besides, it's $15 and has free returns. There's no harm in giving it a shot.

It would show as a drive, exactly ad a thumb drive would. Besides, it's $15 and has free returns. There's no harm in giving it a shot.
It will not work. They have been tried over and over on vehicles without CD players. As CX5_Driver stated, there are no drivers in the head unit to recognize it.

Wow, I had no idea there was an Aux port. I will try that to see how my FLAC's sound. It's a huge improvement in my Lexus with Mark Levinson. It's a little cumbersome not being able to control tracks through the vehicle, though.
Convert your FLAC to WAV. WAV works on the USB stick and will sound the same as FLAC.

Back