Initial Review of KONIS Shocks/Struts

Greetings to everyone here at the forum! I am a long time lurker since I bought my 2016 Mazda CX-5 back in Sept of 2015. My car has approximately 59,xxx miles on the odometer. I decided that I wanted to add a little more handling performance to my Mazda CX-5 since I like to drive a little spirited once in a while. Although the CX-5 has great handling dynamic caracterictics from the factory I felt there was still room for much improvement. So at 59,XXX miles I decided to change the struts/shocks despite them still being in useful conditions.

My initial review of the Konis Red Active Technology shocks/struts has to be one of the best bang for the buck modifications. This has changed the driving handling dynamics of the car for the better. The car squatting when accelerating and nose dive when braking are completely eliminated. The ride quality also improved. And when taking the twisty curves it flattens out with minimum sway inclination, way better than OEM struts/shocks. I wish I had done this modification on the first 1,000 km when I had the car brand new. I cannot praise enough these Konis shocks/struts. I have not read anyone here at the forum that has done Koni Shocks/Struts modification to their CX-5, so I decided to share my initial review of them on the first 100 miles of testing them. I highly recommend them for those still on the wall indecisive if they should put these on their ride. For me it was worth the money, and had I known before I would have swapped them a long time ago.

Attachments

• 78620094_3221807111179231_6886525935063924736_n.jpg
    78620094_3221807111179231_6886525935063924736_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 77370436_3221807011179241_1192234332404580352_n.jpg
    77370436_3221807011179241_1192234332404580352_n.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Thanks for the review.

Sounds like you're happy with your modification. Koni has been around forever...great product.

I always smile when I read of people making performance mods and remember that the subject of the sentence is an SUV.

Thanks for the review.

Sounds like you're happy with your modification. Koni has been around forever...great product.

I always smile when I read of people making performance mods and remember that the subject of the sentence is an SUV.

Yes, indeed Koni are a great product. Years back (2004) I had Koni Yellows on a 1982 240 Volvo b21ft that I once owned and enjoyed them for what they were. I didn't go for the yellows because I was afraid they would be too rough on a daily basis even setting them up in there lowest soft setting. The koni Red Active Technology are a perfect match even with the OEM spring rate. It just enhanced the ZOOM ZOOM to another level. Glad you enjoyed my review. I hope this will help others on their decision if their looking to pull the trigger on these KONIS RED.

Last edited:
you replaced old shocks with Konis?

- results of the comparison are not surprising...

replacing new shocks with Konis would be more interesting

you replaced old shocks with Konis?

- results of the comparison are not surprising...

replacing new shocks with Konis would be more interesting

I had the 2016 Mazda CX-5 SUV since new with only 6 miles on the odometer. I know how my car performed when I had since new. Had I test driven a CX-5 with the KONI back then, I would have changed the new oem shocks/struts in a heart beat with RED koni. The Red koni shocks/struts are just better plane and simple. Watch a YOUTUBE video where they tested a pracitically brand new BMW with oem and one with RED KONIS. The video speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dWGWr4-Yo

Last edited:
I was thinking about this with my CS springs. I may do it when time comes to replace my struts. I'm at 59xxxk myself. It still feels fine though.
These struts have softness adjustment possibility(front are rear)? I'm not familiar with these struts.

I was thinking about this with my CS springs. I may do it when time comes to replace my struts. I'm at 59xxxk myself. It still feels fine though.
These struts have softness adjustment possibility(front are rear)? I'm not familiar with these struts.

If you are riding on CS springs which have a drop of 3.25" Front and 3.25" Rear they will not be compatible with these springs. Koni recommends a 1.25"-1.50" maximum drop. The Koni can be used with some lowering springs that have a drop of 1.25"-1.50". If you use them beyond that drop you will have diminishing returns according to what they state. Over at the koni website they have an Active Lowering Kit that the koni Red Active Technology struts/shocks are paired with Eibach springs that have a 1"-1.50" mild drop.

The Koni Red Active Technology are not hand adjustable like the Yellow Koni are, where you adjust using a knob to twist and set them soft to very firm. Red Koni self adjust according to the road bump rebound frequency feedback they receive (Hydraulic Mechanical). Here are some links to the info. I hope this helps with your decision. If you are going to get the Koni and want the aesthetic of the lowering springs I would suggest getting from Koni their Active Lowering Kit.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/1165-Special-Active-Lowering-Kit(Red)/

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/10734/koni-fsd-is-now-koni-special-active/

Last edited:
I just got Koni special actives at 110K miles on my 2014 CX5 AWD.

Not as impressed as I thought I'd be. Let me explain...
1. The ride is much smoother/comfortable than what it ever was (from new to 110K miles)....almost like a layer of refinement was literally added to struts.....very happy with this aspect.

2. The handling is not as good as it was when the car was new, it was an absolute blast to drive with the stock toyo 19' tires and firm struts.

3. I also simultaneously hated the ride quality/ noise levels when it was new as I thought I was too firm for my life situation back then (just had a baby boy, had a longish highway commute etc).....replacing tires with Michelin's at about the 40K mark helped a bit with decreasing noise and improving ride quality, added dynamat and dynapad at around 80K miles and that helped a lot with NVH.

4. Stock struts were on the last legs at 110K miles and I decided to replace the with Koni special actives, before replacing I was worried that the ride may be too hard.(it was not).

So what am I bitching about?
My problem with Koni special active is now the ride is a plush but handling is not as good as stock was. The signature mazda dna in ride quality is missing, the ride used to be firm and noisy but had a certain feel to it....that is gone. the whole point of getting a mazda is the mazda ride quality (atleast for me)....so it is smooth yes but if I wanted smooth i would have bought a toyota or nissan in the first place.

1. The ride is much smoother/comfortable than what it ever was (from new to 110K miles)....almost like a layer of refinement was literally added to struts.....very happy with this aspect.

2. The handling is not as good as it was when the car was new, it was an absolute blast to drive with the stock toyo 19' tires and firm struts.

3. I also simultaneously hated the ride quality/ noise levels when it was new as I thought I was too firm for my life situation back then (just had a baby boy, had a longish highway commute etc).....replacing tires with Michelin's at about the 40K mark helped a bit with decreasing noise and improving ride quality, added dynamat and dynapad at around 80K miles and that helped a lot with NVH.

4. Stock struts were on the last legs at 110K miles and I decided to replace the with Koni special actives, before replacing I was worried that the ride may be too hard.(it was not).

So what am I bitching about?
My problem with Koni special active is now the ride is a plush but handling is not as good as stock was. The signature mazda dna in ride quality is missing, the ride used to be firm and noisy but had a certain feel to it....that is gone. the whole point of getting a mazda is the mazda ride quality (atleast for me)....so it is smooth yes but if I wanted smooth i would have bought a toyota or nissan in the first place.

Sorry for the long delay, been out of the forum for some time. In my experience with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 front wheel drive it's been better than the OEM in terms of ride quality and handling. If we were to compare the AWD to FWD from the 2016 Mazda CX-5 there is a vast weight difference. We are talking about 377 lbs in the AWD than the FWD due mainly to the rear differential drivetrain. In the car world of handling weight is everything, why do you think the Honda Type R is FWD (2wd) and not AWD. Just recently I installed a trailer hitch to my CX-5 that weights approx. 34-36 lbs give or take. After I installed the trailer hitch I immediately notice that the handling went down a notch, nothing drastically, but I could notice a difference. The car now feels more button-down in driveability, which I kind of like better. But, tossing it around the twisty's I could feel the extra weight in the back.

I recently in the past week change my tires. I had General RT-43 T rated tires. I now have the Continental LX-25 V rated tires. Now the car has an improved plush ride and turn-in handling response. The difference is the Continental LX-25 is just a better performance tire at the sidewalls for better handling (V rated than T rated).

I am sure if I uninstalled the 34 Ibs weight hitch on the back the car will have better-handling performance now with the Continental LX-25 tires.

Last edited:

1. The ride is much smoother/comfortable than what it ever was (from new to 110K miles)....almost like a layer of refinement was literally added to struts.....
The signature mazda dna in ride quality is missing, the ride used to be firm and noisy but had a certain feel to it....that is gone. the whole point of getting a mazda is the mazda ride quality (atleast for me)....so it is smooth yes but if I wanted smooth i would have bought a toyota or nissan in the first place.

LOL! What you got is what I'm looking to get. Ohlins on my Ducati are controlled and plush, yet I can feel the texture of the pavement through the handlebars. I go looking for manhole covers to hit just for fun! Wish that I could make my CX-5 like this.

So, I've had the Koni Special Actives on my CX-5 for a week.

Excellent!

My CX has 90k miles on it. The excess low frequency motion over dips had begun to be noticeable and unwelcome. I have Ohlins on my Ducati and Miata and Traxxion/Penske on my Concours14. My desire for control without harshness is high and my sceptism for shocks is also high. With the Ducati, I can feel the texture of the pavement, but manhole covers are so gentle, I go looking for them to hit and yet the bike is supremely stable with no excess motion. That's what I want in the CX. I could hardly have asked for better than the Special Actives. Many bumps are more sound than sensation. All bumps have rounded edges. A dip feels like a half sine wave and no more. Realistically, there must be more than a half wave, but I don't feel it. The busy, jiggly ride of the old OEM shocks is gone. Good riddance.

Many (most?) people associate sportiness with a rough, even harsh ride. So, car makers oblige them. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, a controlled, stable ride that is not harsh requires more sophisticated valving and even remote reserviors, costing Money. For me the money is well spent. Had I known of an Ohlins kit for my CX, I'd have spent the $$$$ for it.

Since the springs and stabilizer bars were unchanged, handling was also generally unchanged outside of the mid-corner pogoing I was beginning to get. Theoretically, corner turn-in should be sharper, now, but the difference there is unnoticeable in suburban driving. I should go test it on Gold Point Circle (like 3 miles of The Dragon).

This is a great suspension kit for a daily driver wanting more than OEM. The cost is also less than OEM, I believe.

So, I've had the Koni Special Actives on my CX-5 for a week.

Excellent!

My CX has 90k miles on it. The excess low frequency motion over dips had begun to be noticeable and unwelcome. I have Ohlins on my Ducati and Miata and Traxxion/Penske on my Concours14. My desire for control without harshness is high and my sceptism for shocks is also high. With the Ducati, I can feel the texture of the pavement, but manhole covers are so gentle, I go looking for them to hit and yet the bike is supremely stable with no excess motion. That's what I want in the CX. I could hardly have asked for better than the Special Actives. Many bumps are more sound than sensation. All bumps have rounded edges. A dip feels like a half sine wave and no more. Realistically, there must be more than a half wave, but I don't feel it. The busy, jiggly ride of the old OEM shocks is gone. Good riddance.

Many (most?) people associate sportiness with a rough, even harsh ride. So, car makers oblige them. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, a controlled, stable ride that is not harsh requires more sophisticated valving and even remote reserviors, costing Money. For me the money is well spent. Had I known of an Ohlins kit for my CX, I'd have spent the $$$$ for it.

Since the springs and stabilizer bars were unchanged, handling was also generally unchanged outside of the mid-corner pogoing I was beginning to get. Theoretically, corner turn-in should be sharper, now, but the difference there is unnoticeable in suburban driving. I should go test it on Gold Point Circle (like 3 miles of The Dragon).

This is a great suspension kit for a daily driver wanting more than OEM. The cost is also less than OEM, I believe.
Question is would these be good paired with Corksport lowering springs? Would they be similar in capability to the Bilistein B6 which are meant as a step up from oem and suited to work with lowering springs? 3rd, do they have them for the 22 CX-5? I would get the B6 setup but noone has it in stock and list it as backor.

Question is would these be good paired with Corksport lowering springs? Would they be similar in capability to the Bilistein B6 which are meant as a step up from oem and suited to work with lowering springs? 3rd, do they have them for the 22 CX-5? I would get the B6 setup but noone has it in stock and list it as backor.

I do not know. they are a step up from OEM with OEM springs.

My one experience with Bilstein was not good and I am thus hesitant to recommend them. Bilstein was good about replacing the fronts on my Colorado (said the gas bag ruptured), but the replacements failed even faster then the first ones.

Back