Infotainment system reboots many times when cold on 2016 CX-5

FIXED!!! There is a TSB #09-17/17 "Audio, Navigation and phone concerns with Mazda Connect Infotainment System". They basically just replaced the nav card I think. But since it's a TSB I think it's probably a free fix even if your car is out of warranty. Might be worth checking into at least. It was 9 degrees this morning and my radio did not reboot even once. Wahoo!

TSB's are not usually fixed for free out of warranty - that's just good customer service :)

yeah wasn't sure so i thought ppl should check with their dealer. sure should be if it's a known problem.

FIXED!!! There is a TSB #09-17/17 "Audio, Navigation and phone concerns with Mazda Connect Infotainment System". !
Thanks for the info! My 2016 CX-9 has just started having problems with cold-weather reboots. It occurs very consistently below 25F. I've made 3 videos so far, but now with the TSB I feel more confident that I can make progress getting this thing fixed at the dealership without the need for them to reproduce it (hard to get that cold in Texas)

Finally made it into the dealer today. After a completely miserable experience, I have a new SD card. And I need to find a new service department. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it's fixed. My advisor claimed they've never heard of this problem related to temperature. But they do upgrade firmware to fix random reboots regularly. I still don't think they believe me, but whatever.

yeah a firmware upgrade will not fix it. they did that on mine 3 different times before they finally replaced the SD card. It's been working great even in single digit weather since they replaced it.

yeah a firmware upgrade will not fix it. they did that on mine 3 different times before they finally replaced the SD card. It's been working great even in single digit weather since they replaced it.
Software upgrade? Someone said it before: “The software will never change, only the hardware”! This’s also applicable to our infotainment system under different temperatures. :)

Last edited:
Yeah we had a mini-showdown over it. Since they updated the firmware last year and it obviously didn't solve the issue. He couldn't get off his script of "firmware update first, then if it persists we look into other options." I never even got to tell him removing the sd card made the problem disappear, he wasn't listening. Grr.

Don't lose hope. Went through the same problem. Brought the car in to the dealer 6 times. Finally, after updating firmware 2x, replacing the CMU, replacing the CMU again, they replaced the navigation SD Card. All set! Brought the CX 5 home. Let it sit overnight. Temperature in the morning was 14 degrees. I started up and within 1 minutes everything was working. I read about the problem on a different blog. It is an easy fix. Don't know why the dealers don't not know about this fix. There is a Mazda bulletin that covers this ( 9-17 / 17) I think. Good Luck!

And... there is a new TSB out for this problem.
TSB courtesy of the German CX-5 forum.

Attachments

• TSB_reboot in cold weather_change_SD-card.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 784
Cold weather issue resolved

I've had my car in twice for this issue. The first time they upgraded the firmware, the second time they replace an MC unit (I think that's what they called it). Still whenever the temperature gets below 30 degrees (usually around 25 degrees) at night, the next morning the infotainment system keeps rebooting (like 5 times) till the cabin gets warm, then it stays on. This is very annoying as you can imagine. I can't change the radio station or use the nav. I don't know what to do next. I have about 500 miles left on my original warranty and i'm not sure there will be enough cold nights between now and then to let them see for themselves that it's not fixed, so I took a video of it rebooting 5 times when the temp was 12 degrees this morning. Anybody have any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I had the same problem and Mazda Service told me the only solution was for me to spend nearly $500 for an updated sd card. Instead, I went to Office Max, purchased a 32gb sd card, copied the files from my OEM card onto the new one and the problem was resolved. Cost me less than $12.

Did the same exact thing for my father in laws cx-3. I gather the original sd cards specs are crap. Never had a problem since.

I had the same problem and Mazda Service told me the only solution was for me to spend nearly $500 for an updated sd card. Instead, I went to Office Max, purchased a 32gb sd card, copied the files from my OEM card onto the new one and the problem was resolved. Cost me less than $12.

I bought a used Mazda 2017 CX-5 Touring last week and it's been below freezing the entire week. Been having the same issues with the reboot but only in the morning when the car is just starting up. Brought it over to the dealership and they upgraded the system but it is still having the issue.

I bought a used Mazda 2017 CX-5 Touring last week and it's been below freezing the entire week. Been having the same issues with the reboot but only in the morning when the car is just starting up. Brought it over to the dealership and they upgraded the system but it is still having the issue.
From what I've gathered (and the tsb) the only thing that fixes the cold reboot problem is a new sd card.

Back