Infotainment Screen Goes Dead While Driving!

:
2018 CX5
Have had our 2018 CX5 since new and have not had any issues. Today we are driving along and look at the infotainment screen and it is blank. Hit home and navigation, and nothing. Hit the volume button and music does play (but screen is still off). Turned headlights on and off does nothing.

We then shutoff the car and restarted it. Screen is working again!

Anyone have this happen to them? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Have had our 2018 CX5 since new and have not had any issues. Today we are driving along and look at the infotainment screen and it is blank. Hit home and navigation, and nothing. Hit the volume button and music does play (but screen is still off). Turned headlights on and off does nothing.

Some bad connection somewhere to the screen. You should take a picture as the evidence of problem and present it to your Mszds dealer next time you stop by for warranty service. At this point you’d hope either it’s a one-time glitch, or it happens more often or consistently.

Do you know how to perform a soft reset while driving? Search this forum and you will find it.
To prevent this from happen again... a checklist if you will.
1. clean your Navi SD card.
2. Do you have AndroidAuto or CarPlay? Some problem with inter-operability.
if both fail to improve, check with your dealer for an update of MID version.

My '17 CX5 rarely has a problem. I don't even recall the last time it had a problem. Maybe 2 yrs ago...

I had this happen once to my 3. It had been sitting in the very hot sun on a Summer day for many hours. The dash is black, so it becomes like frying pan. A restart brought the display back to life, but after that incident, I have used either a window cover or an entire car cover. It's been 5+ years now and it has never happened again.

Mine did the same thing as did others in another thread. It only happened to me once. The screen went blank but the music continued to play.
I've had Sirius not load a number of times which appears to be kind of random and has happened in each of 3 different infotainment releases but in those cases the screen never went blank..

FYI, the shortcut to reset infotainment without restarting car: Press and hold the Back button, the Nav button, and the Mute button for at least 10 seconds.
1602981654455.png

The other major shortcut to switch between Carplay/Android Auto and Regular Infotainment is to hold the Home button for several seconds.

Chocolate,
I think you only need two with newer models. Forgot which two of the three.
If I guess correctly, no need to hold down *Back*.

Thanks for all the input!

Yes we had the safety recall done for cylinder deactivation but never had an issue.
We do not have andriodAuto.
At first I did think it was a loose connection but when it can back on after I restarted the car it seemed more like a software glitch.

Never knew we had a soft reset option! Will try that next time if it happens again.

But if it keeps happening will take it to the dealer since we are still under warrantee. Also, will mention it at next oil change. Maybe they have an updated version of the software.

Thanks again everyone!

It has happened to me a couple of times in my 2018 cx5 gt and had to shutoff the engine and it booted right up after that. Don't believe its an issue with the Navi SD card as it has not happened often. In my case I think it was just a bad push of the ignition button. Either not long enough or all the way pushed in.

Was your vehicle sitting in the sun for many hours before you started it? This happened once to my 3. The dash and the infotainment screen's back panel are black and get extremely hot. I had to turn the car on and off to get everything to show up on the screen.
After that episode, I always use either a car cover or a windshield/dash cover. That was 6+ years ago and I've never had the same thing happen again.

Don't remember if it was hot that time. I don't like fumbuling with those windshield covers. In Florida it always hot for 6 mos in a row and does not make much difference to me.

If you can keep the sun off your display panel, it will be much happier. At least my screen was.

Back