Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

Ugh, didn't realize the base 2016 CX-9 Sport trim only has a 7 inch screen and digitizers are definitely not as common or cheap as the 8 inch version. The 8inch is like $30 shipped, but the 7inch is $400 to $1300? So many of the compatibility charts are wrong.

Last edited:
What year is your vehicle? What did the process look like? Am I just waiting for Mazda to get back to the dealership and whatever decision they make I'm stuck with it?
I just booked an appointment and when I got there they told me it's covered.

I just booked an appointment and when I got there they told me it's covered.

Ah so yours is covered under the service advisory that went out for 2017-2018 CX9s. I have a 2019 so it's not covered. I had a copy of the service advisory with me for older vehicles to show them that it was the exact same problem and the service advisor agreed with me but said not to hold my breath.

Ugh, didn't realize the base 2016 Sport model only has a 7 inch screen and digitizers are definitely not as common or cheap as the 8 inch version. The 8inch is like $30 shipped, but the 7inch is $400 to $1300? So many of the compatibility charts are wrong.
So I called my local mazda dealership and spoke with the parts department and they said for my 7inch model, they dont sell a digitizer only and you have to replace the whole display unit for $1300 in parts alone. That cant be right.

Mazda does not sell the digitizer only for any of the screen size. If you go through the dealers they will all quote you 1300$ for any of the screen sizes.

It just so happens that some people are selling the digitizer on its own, but that is not a part that dealers can order and sell.

Mazda does not sell the digitizer only for any of the screen size. If you go through the dealers they will all quote you 1300$ for any of the screen sizes.

It just so happens that some people are selling the digitizer on its own, but that is not a part that dealers can order and sell.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find just a digitizer for the 7" screen.

You should check to see if the Cx-5 fits. I find a lot of them online:

You should check to see if the Cx-5 fits. I find a lot of them online:

Not sure I want to take all of that apart to find out it doesn't and then try to put the spidered one back on, which could end up being further damaged when removed, etc.

You can check based on the dimensions, and also by putting the new one on top of current screen. No need to remove the old digitizer to see if it fits.

If it would save me 1300$, i would give it a go. There are good chances that these screens are all from the same parts bin.

After a few weeks I heard back from Mazda and they said they approved a good will replacement of the screen but that I'd still have to pay about $375. I replied back asking for a no cost replacement in line with what is offered to earlier model years that exhibit the same defect.

To the people who have had theirs replaced, was the cost worth it to you? As of right now it's purely cosmetic. I am not opposed to replacing it myself if I can get a digitizer for under $50 on eBay. How difficult is the process?

After a few weeks I heard back from Mazda and they said they approved a good will replacement of the screen but that I'd still have to pay about $375. I replied back asking for a no cost replacement in line with what is offered to earlier model years that exhibit the same defect.

To the people who have had theirs replaced, was the cost worth it to you? As of right now it's purely cosmetic. I am not opposed to replacing it myself if I can get a digitizer for under $50 on eBay. How difficult is the process?
Very easy. Less than an hour of your time.

Stopped by my local dealer w/ my 2018 CX9 (w/ 60K miles). They told me that they would not consider replacing anything out of warranty. Not a big surprise.

Stopped by my local dealer w/ my 2018 CX9 (w/ 60K miles). They told me that they would not consider replacing anything out of warranty. Not a big surprise.
I would fight this tooth and nail if I were you. Ours is a 2017 MY and not that the infotainment screen had cracks or any issue but Mazda Cda sent us a letter a few yrs back extending the warranty on the screens for up to 7yrs therefore covered up to 2024! It also indicated that we’ll be reimbursed if we already spent out of pocket on the screen replacement.

Since you have a 2018 it’s covered under warranty. Print this out and take it with you.

I dont think thats enough. A TSB doesn't imply any type of warranty. I think you would want the letter showing that your VIN is covered and for how long, etc. I think they might exist in this thread though.
I would fight this tooth and nail if I were you. Ours is a 2017 MY and not that the infotainment screen had cracks or any issue but Mazda Cda sent us a letter a few yrs back extending the warranty on the screens for up to 7yrs therefore covered up to 2024! It also indicated that we’ll be reimbursed if we already spent out of pocket on the screen replacement.

Well we have a 2016 CX5 that was starting to have spider cracking, and I fixed it ...

First I bought a used display unit that actually came with a CD unit attached, so I simply
swapped out the display/touch screen part around, cost was about $250 Canadian.

With the broken touch screen in hand, and a good display, I ordered just the touch
screen (that comes with the black panel you see and touch), and I was able to put
it back together so I have another display/touch spare unit (cost was about $150).

Since I now had a broken touch screen in hand with the spider cracks inside,
I took it all apart, cleaned the glue, put new loca glue and re-assembled,
and have another spare touch panel, that I don't really need (cost $20).

It's not perfect but came out really good, see pictures ...

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 15
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 17
Back