Impatience

:
2017 CX-5 GT
What happens when the lady behind you just can't wait another 30 seconds for the light to change and has the overwhelming urge to squeeze her Yukon Denali XL between the median and your car to get into the left turning lane.

mazda.jpg

The shop we got the CX-5 fixed at 4 MONTHS AGO (when some lady backed into our Mazda with her F-150 Crew Cab) quoted us $2400 CAD, on the assumption they can repair the quarter panel. I'm doubtful they can because of the dent in the crease in the wheel arch. They had also said they could repair the dent in our rear hatch (F-150 lady), which was also on a crease. A week later we get a call from them saying they needed to replace the sheetmetal because they just couldn't get the dent out properly.

I'm a bit concerned as to what's involved in replacing the rear quarter panel. It appears to be a single piece that spans from the rear of the vehicle, over the doors, and forms the A-pillar. This must be a structrual part of the vehicle.

I find that people who drive really big vehicles don't really know how to drive really big vehicles.

What happens when the lady behind you just can't wait another 30 seconds for the light to change and has the overwhelming urge to squeeze her Yukon Denali XL between the median and your car to get into the left turning lane.

View attachment 221800

The shop we got the CX-5 fixed at 4 MONTHS AGO (when some lady backed into our Mazda with her F-150 Crew Cab) quoted us $2400 CAD, on the assumption they can repair the quarter panel. I'm doubtful they can because of the dent in the crease in the wheel arch. They had also said they could repair the dent in our rear hatch (F-150 lady), which was also on a crease. A week later we get a call from them saying they needed to replace the sheetmetal because they just couldn't get the dent out properly.

I'm a bit concerned as to what's involved in replacing the rear quarter panel. It appears to be a single piece that spans from the rear of the vehicle, over the doors, and forms the A-pillar. This must be a structrual part of the vehicle.

Because the impatient party caused the damage, they are responsible for the FULL cost of the repair regardless of what it takes. I believe your assumptions are correct. I would absolutely not allow any cutting & welding.That is a really tough call. Best of luck with that.

My first 4 month old 2019 GTR was rear ended 3 months ago by a woman in a MB SUV who admitted to hitting the gas instead of the brake. I was extremely worried they would say it's repairable. Fortunately they totaled it. In addition to the hatch being crushed in, both of the rear most side pillars (not sure if that's considered C or D) had kinked. When the adjuster saw that is when he said they would total it. Significant structural damage to the rear + front end damage being pushed into the car in front of me.

Last edited:
I got rear ended several years ago in a Saturn Vue. They had to replace the hatch for a total cost of $7k with the trunk pan and bumper. I found out later I could have taken a 90% ($6300) cash payout if I waived the damage and fixed it myself. I found the used hatch door on the repair invoice was only $600. I bet I could have found some shop that would have just replaced the door and straightened the bumper. The plastic bumper exterior cover didnt look that bad.

I traded the Vue 2 years later anyway. If I had superficial damage again I would check into a cash payout option.

I find that people who drive really big vehicles don't really know how to drive really big vehicles.

Totally agree. We were stopped at a light, several cars back from the intersection, just at the beginning of the left turn lane. The car behind us was stopped as well, then she decided to "squeeze" past with her behemoth. I noticed the motion in my driver's side rearview mirror, saw her start climbing the curb of the median, and said to my wife "they're going to hit us". Sure enough, 2 seconds later sickening crunch.

I'm lucky the wife jumped out before me to talk to the driver.

Last one was a lady backing up a crew-cab F-150 at my wife's work, right into our poor Mazda. The car is essentially going to be repainted from nose to tail after all this.

attachment.php

View attachment 221800

Im with you and thats why I did whole-body PDR TWICE on my 2016 CX-5 due to the hail damage. It may be too late for you to check with PDR shop and see what they can do. But for any reasonable body damage that would be my first choice for the repair.

Unfortunately if it comes to that the rear-quarter panel replacement is required, and the PDR is not possible, if I were you Id just find a body shop using filler to patch up the damage and paint it over, and save the rest of insurance money in the pocket. Id never replace the rear-quarter panel for such minor body damage.

Last edited:
That's the best way to go for a winter setup. Steel wheels are easily/cheaply repaired when you inevitably hit that giant salt water filled crater left by a snow plow.
I agree. Fortunately I no longer have to worry about the snow tires anymore.

The offending party's insurance is not only liable for the repair, they are also liable for the loss of value in future resale because of the damage. Potentially significant depending on when a future sale occurs. Little known claim that you'll need to file with them. I forget the 'technical' name of the claim type...contact your own insurance company and ask them what it is called and then file the claim w/ the BFT owner's insurance company. Don't settle for simply having the vehicle repaired. You'll suffer more loss down the road when an appraiser sees the repair (and they will no matter how well it's done)...isn't Carfax wonderful?

The offending party's insurance is not only liable for the repair, they are also liable for the loss of value in future resale because of the damage. Potentially significant depending on when a future sale occurs. Little known claim that you'll need to file with them. I forget the 'technical' name of the claim type...contact your own insurance company and ask them what it is called and then file the claim w/ the BFT owner's insurance company. Don't settle for simply having the vehicle repaired. You'll suffer more loss down the road when an appraiser sees the repair (and they will no matter how well it's done)...isn't Carfax wonderful?

Insurance doesn't work that way up here in Ontario, Canada. We have a "no-fault" insurance system, meaning my own insurance company pays for the damages. And as far as I know there is no money for loss of value, short of personally suing the other driver. I went thru this with my S4 when some dude backed into it while it was parked at work. I lost $7k when I traded it in for my RS3. I asked my broker about loss of value clause and she was not aware of any insurance company in Canada that offers this.

So then you have to spend more money, and time, for the wrong to be made 100% right in Canada? ...that's truly a shame. A $7k loss around here is barely in the territory of being worth the added time and expense to engage in the legal system. I love this 'no-fault' BS...it's always somebody's fault. If this is truly the case, then of course, your own insurance company would claim non-existence of the clause then. They have no interest in making you whole either, not their purpose, not their business model. It's not something they're going to make commercials advertising here either, that's for sure. IDK might be something to investigate...$7k loss last time, who knows how much this time?...adding up to some serious loss of cash through 'no-fault' of your own IMHO.

There are so many bad drivers on the road. Many times when I am waiting to turn into my driveway cars try to squeeze around me.

So then you have to spend more money, and time, for the wrong to be made 100% right in Canada? ...that's truly a shame. A $7k loss around here is barely in the territory of being worth the added time and expense to engage in the legal system. I love this 'no-fault' BS...it's always somebody's fault. If this is truly the case, then of course, your own insurance company would claim non-existence of the clause then. They have no interest in making you whole either, not their purpose, not their business model. It's not something they're going to make commercials advertising here either, that's for sure. IDK might be something to investigate...$7k loss last time, who knows how much this time?...adding up to some serious loss of cash through 'no-fault' of your own IMHO.

Can't say I disagree with you. There's something inherent in wanting the other person to be penalized, especially for something so stupid as not being able to wait.

We call it "No-Fault" but that's a bit of misnomer. From the insurance company's point of view, someone is always at fault even if the police report says no one was at fault. There's a specific set of rules that determine fault and the percentage. If you rear-end someone, you're 100% at fault even if the roads were icy and you couldn't stop. Two cars colliding while merging into the same lane would both be considered 50% at fault. It mainly serves to determine how much of your deductible you have to cough up and if your premium goes up.

The logic goes something like this; before No-Fault you had to deal with the other driver's insurance company which was obviously hostile to your claim. This ended up in it taking months to get your car repaired as everything had to be approved by the other insurance company, which didn't want to pay out. With No-Fault you deal with your own insurance company.

Can't say I disagree with you. There's something inherent in wanting the other person to be penalized, especially for something so stupid as not being able to wait.

We call it "No-Fault" but that's a bit of misnomer. From the insurance company's point of view, someone is always at fault even if the police report says no one was at fault. There's a specific set of rules that determine fault and the percentage. If you rear-end someone, you're 100% at fault even if the roads were icy and you couldn't stop. Two cars colliding while merging into the same lane would both be considered 50% at fault. It mainly serves to determine how much of your deductible you have to cough up and if your premium goes up.

The logic goes something like this; before No-Fault you had to deal with the other driver's insurance company which was obviously hostile to your claim. This ended up in it taking months to get your car repaired as everything had to be approved by the other insurance company, which didn't want to pay out. With No-Fault you deal with your own insurance company.

In Pennsylvania the "No-Fault" only applies to each parties medical expenses. Each parties insurance covers their own medical expenses. The law in PA says in order to maintain your car registration you must maintain certain minimum levels of coverage. The insurance companies then also offer uninsured & under insured coverage on our policies for when other people cause damage to us while basically breaking the insurance coverage laws. To me that's the insurance version of driving without a license.

When my first GTR was rear ended 3 months ago & totaled my insurance company (Erie) stepped in starting the day of the accident and handled everything on my end. They then went after the guilty party to recoup their expenses. It does make things go much quicker dealing with your own insurance company. Also in this case the women who hit me took full responsibility & admitted her guilt & that she hit the gas instead of the brake. She rear ended me, what other choice did she have then to accept responsibility? In this case it was clear cut, however I had other past incidents where as you describe the other driver's insurance company was definitely hostile & tried to dodge the claim.

Back