Immobilizer Problems

:
Protege5
I pulled the drivetrain and wiring harness out of an 01 Miata last weekend. It'll be transplanted into an 81 Toyota Starlet, should make for a fun car when finished. 140hp in an 1800lb car, with RWD. The car appeared to be wrecked (body damage on both sides) and there was fire damage in the battery area.

I have everything laid out and hooked up, and everything seems to work. The cluster comes on, the engine cranks, and I have a 5v reference going to all of the sensors, and 12v to the coils, however there is no spark. The security light is flashing a Code 03. I have the lock cylinder and I grabbed the key that was laying in the seat. It's an aftermarket key, but I assume it's the one that was in the car when it was wrecked, but I can't be sure on that.

Here is what I have checked so far:
1. Checked for power and ground at the immobilizer unit. It's all there, switched and constant according the diagram.
2. Checked communication wire between ECM and immobilizer, it is fine.
3. Checked for continuity between the transponder antenna wires and immobilizer unit, they're fine.

From what I can tell the immobilizer is getting everything it needs, but it still won't recognize the key. It seems like this "feature" has caused far more headaches for the car owner than it has prevented thefts.

Does anybody know if there is a remote start module or something that allows me to get around the immobilizer? I see tons of threads regarding problems with this system, but no real solutions. This is really putting a damper on the swap.

Last edited:
That age of Miata as well as the MPV vans had a PCM and Immobilizer module, that both had to be programmed together. I'm not 100% sure on the details but I'm sure that age of Miata had that system. You would need to have the Immobilizer module from the Miata as well and have that wired up. Some of the PCM Immobilizer combos in that age of Miata and MPV van went as far as completely wiping the PCM if an intrusive start was detected multiple times in a row. In which the PCM is tossed in the garbage and your back to square one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It's is a really awful system when in the original car with all the origins parts working together so its a very large grey void for the information you are looking for unfortunately. You may need to find another PCM and another Immobilizer module. Along with the key, ignition ring, ignition switch, and a Mazda dealership re-program to get it to work. I'm a Mazda technician myself and if an off make vehicle came into the shop with that system I would tell you you're out of luck.

You could try getting a dealership to reprogram the PCM, Immobilizer, and Key, but you must have two keys (whether they be new blank ID keys or an old key which will be re-used and one new key). Only the Mazda IDS programming and codes from MS3 along with a factory Mazda scan tool can re-program these computers.

Back