Ignition coil replacement

:
2013 CX5 GT
Hi,

did anyone tried to use another brand? My car broke down last month and one of it failed. The dealer part is a bit expensive if I replace all of them. Wondering of an alternative or the oem is really better.

I'd get the Mazda part (s) rather than chance an aftermarket part.I assume your car is past it's 5 yr/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty.Whatever you decide,just remember that generally electrical parts that have been installed are non-returnable.

Hi,

did anyone tried to use another brand? My car broke down last month and one of it failed. The dealer part is a bit expensive if I replace all of them. Wondering of an alternative or the oem is really better.
Yeah I prefer OEM parts too especially on electrical modules. To save money, you can shop online, or ask the parts guy at the dealership where you have good relationship with for price matching if possible.

You don’t need to replace all 4 ignition coils, only the one with problems. Most likely you have only one failing ignition coil which costs about $75 ~ $85 each online for OEM. Verify the part number with your old ignition coil to make sure.

Ignition Coil - Mazda CX-5 2.5L (PE20-18-100A)

Ignition Coil - Mazda (P51B-18-100)

Ignition coils used to be very reliable. They are inherently simple devices.
I wonder why coil on plug types sometimes fail?

Ignition coils used to be very reliable. They are inherently simple devices.
I wonder why coil on plug types sometimes fail?

some guesses

1) higher tolerances (fuel economy / emissions); the computer see slight variations as failure.
2) manufacturing cost cutting; everyone wants a $10,000 USD car; but are surprised when components fail more frequently
3) not actually not more frequent; but the very small sample size from a forum makes it seem that way

I've gotten the impression that sometimes they are damaged when replacing the plugs.
They are also much closer to engine heat compared to firewall mounted coils.

All in all I'm sure they're much better than the old type. The weak links used to be the HV plug wires and distributor rotor.

Back