Idemitsu Moly Oil Alert

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
I had used the Mazda Moly oil in my CX-5 from new until I learned on here that the Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist was actually the exact same oil. I started using that instead because it was available in a 5 quart jug for around the same price (and sometimes less) that the Mazda branded individual quarts and one jug is more convenient that 5 individual bottles. I changed my oil yesterday which got me thinking about oil. I recently read that there is a new specification out for motor oils: SP/GF-6 which supersedes SN/GF-5. Since the Zepro is SN/GF-5, I wondered if there would be an upgraded version coming out. I went to the Idemitsu web site and saw all of their products. Their regular oils were all showing the new SP/GF-6 versions, but the Zepro was still showing the current SN/GF-5 version. So I reached out via email to Idemitsu and got an answer right away. There are no plans to upgrade the Zepro to SP/GF-6 and in fact, they are discontinuing the whole Zepro line. So, if you like that oil with the extra moly you should probably get some while it's still available. I know I'll be ordering some more right away.

I hope they don't stop then mazda oem oil as well...Lately it’s been out of stock here in my area or only old stock.

Our dealer doesn't use Mazda oil. Some don't even use Castrol. I let the dealer do my first change, then I used Castrol, then a couple Zepro that I got for around $30, not I've got a couple jugs of Amazon 0w20 Synthetic and I'm not going to sweat it. The Amazon oil acquitted itself well in comparison reviews.

Ok, this sucks. I've been waiting for Idemitsu to come out with the GF6 spec moly oil. I wonder if they will still be making it for Mazda since they are the manufacturer for all of the Mazda branded oils?

Ok, this sucks. I've been waiting for Idemitsu to come out with the GF6 spec moly oil. I wonder if they will still be making it for Mazda since they are the manufacturer for all of the Mazda branded oils?
They have GF6 in all their other oils, but they are not going to produce the Zepro line any more.

Great price - I just paid around $35 at Amazon for a 5-qt jug! But at least in western WA, not a single store appears to be carrying it and there are no ordering options.

- Mark

Cheap if your local store has them.

$5 for 5 quarts of Idemitsu 0W-20 SN / GF-5 oil is an unbelievable price even if it’s a discontinued product!

The new Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil costs $36.20 for 5 quarts.

9A16B0B0-C83E-4D5E-893A-628D07C382FC.jpeg

That's so cheap people would buy it no matter the brand, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out. People that work at the store would probably buy it too.

I just returned from AZ where I bought 2 jugs for $5 each.The shelf had a sale price sticker of $15 but when scanned showed $5.Super deal.Thanks for the "heads up" Jet,it's things like this that make this a great board.

I've never bothered with the higher priced high moly oil myself. I think my UOA reports have come out great just using Castrol and Pennzoil...whatever is on sale at wallyworld. I've gotten 5 quart jugs of either for as low as $19 via online sales.

Exactly, I run Supertech Full Synthetic 0w-20 (SN/GF-5 rated) for $13 for 5 quarts for the factory specified interval. I sleep like a baby knowing this car will long be in the junkyard before I wear the engine out.

No special order, available at every single walmart. I've run supertech for years in all my vehicles. I retired my toyota 4-runner with 250k on it from rust and my sister's Lexus GS350 is closing in on 200k. All Super-tech changed at the recommended intervals or even longer. (The lexus routinely goes up to 10k between a change sometimes.)

Any modern oil meeting factory spec and run for a reasonable interval will deliver engine protection for the life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
It is amazing how cheap Walmart keeps their brand of oil. At the moment I am fine with splurging on higher priced oil since I only change it twice a year. About 20 dollars a year extra.

It is amazing how cheap Walmart keeps their brand of oil. At the moment I am fine with splurging on higher priced oil since I only change it twice a year. About 20 dollars a year extra.
I don’t mind to use more expensive oil such as Mazda Moly 0W-20 as I DIY and I can “save” money on labor. Due to the pandemic we drive our CX-5 a lot less. This’s the first time the oil haven’t been changed for almost 12 months now as the CX-5 has only accumulated about 2,500 miles since the oil change last December. I’m waiting for the wrench indicator coming on due to the 12-month cap making sure the Flexible oil life monitor is working on this part.

That is a good point and it makes me wonder.

Do premium brands pocket a really big mark up on a jug for the same product?

I don’t mind to use more expensive oil such as Mazda Moly 0W-20 as I DIY and I can “save” money on labor. Due to the pandemic we drive our CX-5 a lot less. This’s the first time the oil haven’t been changed for almost 12 months now as the CX-5 has only accumulated about 2,500 miles since the oil change last December. I’m waiting for the wrench indicator coming on due to the 12-month cap making sure the Flexible oil life monitor is working on this part.
I suppose it depends on the area, but figuring filter+oil costs it approaches what I can just take it to a shop to do price wise. Granted they'll just be using generic oil, but if saving money is a factor for doing oil changes yourself (which it is for me), then I can have name brand oil and still be cheaper.

That is a good point and it makes me wonder.

Do premium brands pocket a really big mark up on a jug for the same product?

Possibly, but I doubt it. Amsoil is a great product but the way they structure themselves is like a pyramid scheme. I suppose that could drive the price up for a company like that.

I think the cheaper price is because Walmart buys huge amounts of SuperTech (economy of scale) and it’s not advertised. It’s kind of like buying store brand stuff at the grocery store. Name brand stuff is made by companies that decide they can’t compete directly with behemoths like Proctor and Gamble. Rather than duke it out for market share, they can sell their product under store branding and not have to waste their money on marketing and advertisement.

Back