I broke this help!

So I was switching out my transmission and the new(used) transmission still had a chunk of shift linkage bar(?) On it and tried to remove the bolt and snapped it off as seen in pic1. Pic2 is what it should look like but that's my old transmission which is bad....this is my first trans swamp(hurray) and I have no clue what I'm doing at this point please save me!!
IMG_20200211_151240_01.jpg
IMG_20200211_151229_01.jpg

It looks like that shift rod goes right into the transmission and would have to be replaced either with the one from your old transmission or a new part if you can find and order it.
It looks like you'd have to take your entire transmission apart.

I'm not positive about this but I'm pretty sure.

The only thing I can think of is to try to weld it back on but that would be pretty trashy.

PS... Use a grinder with a cutoff disk to cut the bolt off if you run into that again.
Wrenching a seized bolt stresses the shift rod too much.

It's faster and easier too.

Last edited:
Give me a better picture of what's broken. If it's part of a cast housing I may have a spare kicking around.

I'd call the place you got the transmission from and see if they have another you could swap out. That's gonna be a considerable amount of work to change out that piece, not just a bolt-on type deal.

If they won't help you, then you "could" cut the one off your transmission and weld it on, but may run into alignment issues. Better would be splitting both transmissions apart and replacing it with the shift control rod from your transmission. If you've never been into a manual gearbox before, that might be a little overwhelming though.

Back