Hydraulic lifts for hood

Problem is you never know when they're going to fail. I'll stick with the rod. The ones on my Maxima decided to fail when I was checking the oil and it wasn't a slow fall.

Problem is you never know when they're going to fail. I'll stick with the rod. The ones on my Maxima decided to fail when I was checking the oil and it wasn't a slow fall.

Yes, in my case it happened very quick. LOL. It is not very easy trying to wriggle out from under a hood that's closed on your upper torso. Been there done that!

Yes, in my case it happened very quick. LOL. It is not very easy trying to wriggle out from under a hood that's closed on your upper torso. Been there done that!

Then having bruising long after the incident

does Mazda offer it as an official part? I know on some older Mazdas I've owned I've been able to source hood struts either from UK dealerships or Japan.
I'm always leery of ebay specials...

does Mazda offer it as an official part? I know on some older Mazdas I've owned I've been able to source hood struts either from UK dealerships or Japan.
I'm always leery of ebay specials...

As an official accessory then no as I have checked the Japanese parts PDF and makes no mention

As something that might be done at the dealer service centre, maybe but I would not count on it.

Installed it this evening. The instructions from the vendor are in the form of a JPEG on the Ebay listing. It wasn't that difficult to figure out and I am more than pleased with them overall.

Here you go, Madge strutting her stuff. I really do like the way the hood lifts by itself now as well as the increased opening space. It's also just aesthetically pleasing.

I did manage to very easily knock the OEM rod out of the way as I was installing the struts. Thankfully I had one strut in place already to keep the hood from crashing down on me. On my Honda, I found the rod would sit in firmly in a socket but on the CX-5 it just seems to sit in a indentation loosely and thereby is very easy to knock out of the way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• madge_struts.jpg
    madge_struts.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 425
That OEM rod wouldn't be so easy to knock loose if it was supporting the whole weight of the hood.
But for my money, the struts are a great addition.

Here you go, Madge strutting her stuff. I really do like the way the hood lifts by itself now as well as the increased opening space. It's also just aesthetically pleasing.

I did manage to very easily knock the OEM rod out of the way as I was installing the struts. Thankfully I had one strut in place already to keep the hood from crashing down on me. On my Honda, I found the rod would sit in firmly in a socket but on the CX-5 it just seems to sit in a indentation loosely and thereby is very easy to knock out of the way.

attachment.php

Nice job and thanks for posting the photo :D

Back