awmenard

:
Mazda cx5
Hey everybody,

Just checked today and HR springs are out for the 2013 CX5

1"25 drop in front
1"75 drop in back

Retail price is 389.00$

http://www.hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Make+Guide&SubMode=Find3&MakeID=23

Now just have to convience the wife :D

Last edited:
H&R Sportfedern
ATH-12799
Tieferlegung ca. VA35mm / HA 45mm 228,91 EUR*

Sold in germany, at ATH-HINSBERGER.DE
When you are looking at their site, don't change the language.
Leave it in german otherwise you won't find the parts.

Karl

Did some searching on the net and here is what I think the Cx5 looks like with the H&R Springs

http://www.h-r.com/gb/n_produkt.php?id=2080

472259_10100228499207895_34402183_41809869_647646718_o.jpg

Stock

2080a.jpg

Not stock

Sort of want.

Sacrifice for a rougher ride, shorter strut life, lower clearance for off roading/snow all for a difference in look that 98% of people wont even notice or care about. AWESOME.

The ride/handling combo from the factory is carefully engineered with considerable resources, difficult to improve on. Of course for style alone, some will want the lowering springs.

The ride/handling combo from the factory is carefully engineered with considerable resources, difficult to improve on.

The ride/handling combo from the factory is a compromise. You have engineers who have to try to make a too tall vehicle so it won't roll over. You have marketing guys that want it too high so it fits into the right sales category (is it SUV or Crossover?). And you have government regulators and lawyers who take all the fun out of everything.

Everything can be improved on, even a CX-5.

The ride/handling combo from the factory is a compromise. You have engineers who have to try to make a too tall vehicle so it won't roll over. You have marketing guys that want it too high so it fits into the right sales category (is it SUV or Crossover?). And you have government regulators and lawyers who take all the fun out of everything.

Everything can be improved on, even a CX-5.

Exactly and of course it's a compromise, a well-engineered compromise. The springs will just trade some flatter handling for worsened ride harshness. Yes, everything can be improved for a cost, but don't look for much improvement with these springs, except in parking lot pimping appeal.

btw, calling it a crossover or SUV doesn't even matter.

Lowering springs are fine, don't expect miracles for $389 which is a jacked-up price to begin with.

I know, I have had plenty of lowered cars. I currently own a lowered sport sedan on springs from OEM manufacturer for example, handling is improved slightly, ride worsened slightly, looks great.

Last edited:
Sacrifice for a rougher ride, shorter strut life, lower clearance for off roading/snow all for a difference in look that 98% of people wont even notice or care about. AWESOME.

Rougher ride... Maybe
Shorter strut life... Again maybe
Lower clearance ... Even lowered your still much higher the any car, haven't seen anyone jack up their sedan for winter, and I live in Montreal Canada, we have pretty bad winters.
98% won't even notice... Maybe, but for the 2% that I account for, its all worth it .

Nizzy don't take this the wrong way, I guess people have different taste. Your point is valuable and does make sense. Just not for all of us I guess.

Rougher ride, most likely
Shorter strut life, probably but not enough to matter for most
Lower clearance, obviously if measured, not a problem for most since the vehicle starts with more than enough clearance.
98% of drivers will notice ride quality deterioration after vs. before.

Agreed, people have different taste. That's why my sports sedan is lowered and my SUV is not.

Nicely said, I guess like all sergery's their is a price to pay for looks.

But the car is so new that one might not even notice the ride quality difference, if you had been driving the car for years that could be another story.

Rougher ride... Maybe
Shorter strut life... Again maybe
Lower clearance ... Even lowered your still much higher the any car, haven't seen anyone jack up their sedan for winter, and I live in Montreal Canada, we have pretty bad winters.
98% won't even notice... Maybe, but for the 2% that I account for, its all worth it .

Nizzy don't take this the wrong way, I guess people have different taste. Your point is valuable and does make sense. Just not for all of us I guess.

Lowering a speed3 makes sense. The car has a purpose and that is to drive fast around the twisties. The cx5 is far from a sports car i dont care how many times mazda shows it on a race track. You can race anthing even a hightop conversion van on a track it doesnt mean it should. Would people do this to a nissan rogue? Or a hundai tuscon? Or a ford escape? Most likely not, so why should they with a mazda cx5 its pretty much the same thing but with mazdas name on it. Dont kid yourself that this car is something special on a race track. Its decent gas saving young family car. Who did mazda say would buy it as target audience? Current mazda3 owners who have had kids and need something a bit bigger. Not boy racer whos gonna slam it and throw a fart can on it. Think poor mans cx9.

I think your argument is irrelevant. It doesnt matter what you think. It only matters what the owner of the vehicle thinks/wants. If he/she wants to lower it to improve the stance/remove wheel gap then why not.

BTW did you know that the cx-5 is faster around laguna seca than a skyactiv mazda3? Thats pretty impressive to me.

Lowering a speed3 makes sense. The car has a purpose and that is to drive fast around the twisties. The cx5 is far from a sports car i dont care how many times mazda shows it on a race track. You can race anthing even a hightop conversion van on a track it doesnt mean it should. Would people do this to a nissan rogue? Or a hundai tuscon? Or a ford escape? Most likely not, so why should they with a mazda cx5 its pretty much the same thing but with mazdas name on it. Dont kid yourself that this car is something special on a race track. Its decent gas saving young family car. Who did mazda say would buy it as target audience? Current mazda3 owners who have had kids and need something a bit bigger. Not boy racer whos gonna slam it and throw a fart can on it. Think poor mans cx9.

Why all the sniping? Want to lower your CX-5? Go for it! It's your ride and you want to feel proud of it (or else you wouldn't have bought it in the first place, right?).

Whether or not the pluses/negatives are true, at the end of the day it's all about preference. Now to the poor man'x CX-5 comment, I take issue with that only because I traded in my 2008 CX-9 for the CX-5 because while it was fun to drive, I was filling up the tank EVERY week. Nearly $70 on regular gas a week SUCKS. Of course it doesn't have the power of the CX-9, but once it's revved up this baby can move!

Me personally, I'm most likely going to swap out all of the exterior lights and swap out the OEM wheels with either a black or gun metal/gray colored wheel. Why? Because I think it would make my sky blue mica CX-5 look bad ass :) - Oh yeah, and plan on tinting it too. All that being said, I continue to get compliments on the car from all sorts of people, so I'm certainly happy with my CX-5 as is for now ;-)

Yes, by all means lower it to the max. Who needs suspension travel in a awd SUV. A lowered car almost always looks better, that's why concept cars (including the one our CX-5 is derived from) have a low ride height and large diameter wheels.

I saw a pre-production prototype of 2013 Lexus GS350 (not a F-Sport) at a unveiling in Pebble Beach last summer before the general public. They lowered that too for greater visual impact, it was considerably lower than stock ride height (and of course they made no mention of this).

Agreed, no need to (westley) snipe, lol. Sacraficing a very good and thoroughly engineered ride/handling combo (in the case of the CX-5) for looks is not uncommon in the world of modded vehicles. No big deal for those looking to achieve the ideal look with minimal wheel gap and more aggresive-looking stance, I'm very familiar with that in the world of Lexus/Mercedes/BMW cars.

Last edited:
Lowering it may even improve MPG.

Just saying.
I've had a sport suspension before in an '07 accord v6 and while it is fun it gets old. Also will make your kids sick if they have that problem.

Back