How You Earn a living

I am admin assist (office biotch, haha ^_~ clownphish) at Stockton Rural Cemetery. You want to know what I do? I do about 20 minutes of paperwork, and 7 hours and 40 minutes of nothing. So to fill the time, I come on this site, go drive around, take a long lunch, walk around the cemetery, read the newspaper, go home and eat something, and usually again, browse the site, and talk on iCHAT (aim on OSX)

Now that I have read through this thread I now understand how it is that some of you have the time to have 2000 posts. Many of the people on this forum come from the land of cushy jobs, with important titles, yet many hours wasted on the computer. Must be nice, thats all I can say!!!

katsmp3 said:
Network Security (or lack of), FBI
Really? My friend who's a Computer Science Engineer is applying to work for the FBI and wants to get into Network Security. He's going in for his first interview next week.

CruzinAltitude said:
Now that I have read through this thread I now understand how it is that some of you have the time to have 2000 posts. Many of the people on this forum come from the land of cushy jobs, with important titles, yet many hours wasted on the computer. Must be nice, thats all I can say!!!
It must be nice to work with dogs :rolleyes:

REMillers said:
We had a thread on how much you made which normally included the job.

I work at Nextel HQ in Reston VA as a Programmer for the QA Audit team.

Probably going to move to ERT (Emerency Response Team) where they went to the Shuttle crash, 9/11, Sniper shootings here in DC and setup communications for all the departments. Free air travel and chance to drive actually HUMVEEEs into C-130s for transport. (They are are Sat trucks)

My sister works at NEXTEL in the HR Dept.

Laser5 said:

My sister works at NEXTEL in the HR Dept.

as fo myself, I work for Lockheed Martin as an Tron Tech/Site Manager for one of it's Navy contracts.

yep I'm in software too, I do technical support for our resellers, customers and our services guys. I also end up doing testing because our Q/A guys just doesn't have the time to fully test the changes we keep making. Drives me nuts. Need / want VPC for windows...

what kind of software? well we make Client/Server/Web workflow software for scanning in large amounts of forms, ocr, validations, export to backends yadayada. pays ok.

mebbe I'll go back to my high tech Japanese to English translation work that i used to do...

CruzinAltitude said:

Well........ I have been with my company 14+ years now, and the first 4 years of that were working 3rd shift (9pm-5am) in the computer room (puke). Although; there were a lot of those days where I didn't work a full 8 hours. It was a b****!

I feel, I earned my dues. Now; I buy all of the computer systems, software, etc... So; I'm on my PC all day. Life is good - even at work! (thumb) Oh; and of course, all I have to do is look out my window and see my MAZDASPEED sitting 4 floors below.
47b3dd36b3127cce953511b940040000001610

And; Yeah! I do have, on occassion, time to do a little posting during the day.

bigwilly said:
hello people:)
im a train mechanic on the high speed train that amtrak has

My dad is senior director of public affairs for Amtrak in union station.:D

I'm a full time college student and work part time at the produce department at Roch Bros Supermarket. Boy I can't wait to graduate. Only two years to go.

cbcbd,
Tell your friend to do anything he can to release his nerves before he goes in (mock interviews.. anything). He needs to go into the interview 100% confident. Anyone can be trained in Network Security. He needs to show them that he is a "people person" above everything else. He might not even be interviewed by computer people on his first interview. But tell him good luck. Is he interviewing in CT.

I am an Apple Tech. / Web Designer, though I have a business degree and might be looking to do something different soon

Hey im the one and only bug man, lol. I love my job, well so far. I make my own schedule, if i sell a contract i get 100% commission+my weekly salary, and best of all im not in a damn office all day. Oh yeah i get to see hot mammas too.

i know there are a lot of new people since this post, and i got a new job, so what is everyone doing for jobs now?
i am now a senior assistant (even though im a junior) for the computer science department at wpi, basically a ta but i get paid less, work a max of 10 hours/week, don't grade as much stuff and speak english. its not bad, i did an intro course this past term. so anyone with updates or new people to contribute?

Back