How you doing?

One of the tanks I had purchased earlier this year is an acrylic 40 gallon. I bought it used, and as such it has a few minor scratches and some swirl marks. With the tank empty and dry, I figured I'd take a stab at polishing the acrylic. I used Meguiars Plastx, a hand drill with a hook-and-loop 3" pad attachment, and a finishing (black) pad. Typically I use the pad and drill for the CX-9's smaller areas like the A/B/C pillars.

I was able to get almost all of the swirl marks out, but there are a few deeper scratches that I'd need to be more aggressive with to repair. They aren't so deep that I could catch them with my nail, but you really have to look for them, so I decided I would just leave it as is. I found that I got the best results using the least aggressive pad I could find with very, very light hand pressure, a moderate hand speed and a moderate amount of product. If you work too slowly, the pad heats up quickly and can cause hazing. Same thing happens if you don't use enough product - the pad heats up faster and hazing can become a problem. Took me a couple of passes to figure that out.

attachment.php

I also put together a quick test scape. It's hard for me to scape with so few materials. I planned to use many more smaller detail rocks and maybe a piece of driftwood if I could find the right one, but with all of the shipping channels closed now, I just have to be more patient. I think I'll spring for one or two 55 pound boxes of stone when it becomes available again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also scaped the quarantine/hospital 10g tank.
IMG_20200419_082634.jpg

IMG_20200419_081809.jpg

And something car-related.. I finished painting these horns I plan to install once the weather warms up. They are much louder than the standard horns on the CX-9. I had a similar pair for my Lexus, and I've had instances in the past where it seemed like people didn't hear me when I laid on the horn. After installing those horns I never had that problem again. I'm hoping these ones are just as loud.

IMG_20200417_140638_720.jpg

IMG_20200418_122855_457.jpg

Checking in...How's everyone been holding up?

Any updates on the projects posted in this thread? 😁

Ps...Hopefully the worst is over, thread moved to the Lounge.

My project at present is the stock market. I invested $2625 into it, and am planning in 1 year to use the proceeds to purchase a MAWL C1, and night vision.

So far, I'm off to a rather slow start, but I'm working at it!

NODS.jpg

54% in 3 months is a 'slow start'? I think we have different definitions of that term.

Dow was over 29000 3 months ago. now about 24000?

Serious, are you some secret quant at a hedge fund?

NODs that I want are $10k. MAWL is 2500 by itself. I want to buy in a year. It's going to need to hurry. I'm at @75%, now, but this is not enough, as I suspect today is just an upswing, but we will see. I want it to move with Purpose, Capital P, man!

Last edited:
Dow was over 29000 3 months ago. now about 24000?

Serious, are you some secret quant at a hedge fund?
No, I honestly just got into the market where my graph begins. I'm just looking to make a quick buck to fuel a purchase, as well as a supervisor of mine showed me this app "robinhood" one night, so I downloaded it and threw some money in and thought it was cool/fun.

At first glance, Robinhood looks just like any other low cost/fee-free trading platform.

Is it more than that?

No, it's a fee free, user friendly app that even a dummy like me can use.
I know HOW to buy & sell...it's the WHAT and the WHEN that eludes me.

One of the articles I read made me face-palm. Some said "This makes trading too easy," as though a crappy app was gonna impart impulse control or something.

I know HOW to buy & sell...it's the WHAT and the WHEN that eludes me.

One of the articles I read made me face-palm. Some said "This makes trading too easy," as though a crappy app was gonna impart impulse control or something.
I'm not sure I am of much help, there, as I've only turned an eye to this as of a couple of months ago. Also, yes, it will test any compulsions you have, as it is VERY easy to transfer money about....

Big moves, today. Broke the 100% barrier. Hopefully things will start picking up faster now as more states open. I have stuff and things to buy! #IamNotPatient
Screenshot_20200526-095647_Robinhood.jpg

Get as detailed as you like (or don't like.)

What the heck did you invest in?
Or can you disclose the general industry?

I imagine there are lots of deals these days in the energy sector.

I belonged to an investment club in the early 90s...lots of smart coworkers were in it. We sucked at picking individual stocks. I stay with mutual funds.

Now if I could only get my timing right...

I imagine there are lots of deals these days in the energy sector.

I belonged to an investment club in the early 90s...lots of smart coworkers were in it. We sucked at picking individual stocks. I stay with mutual funds.

Now if I could only get my timing right...
I ignored my broker friend's advice and struck out on my own. I invested a total of $2625 in my en devour, as a personal challenge. To me, this is the same as stepping onto the mats, or sliding under the bar, or anything else that pits my mettle against an uncaring world.

Latest posts

Back