How to tell difference between FSDE and FSZE?

:
Mazda, 2002 Protege5, FS-DE
Hey all,

First time posting so excuse me if it's in the wrong area.

My P5 took a dump on me with 329k on the clock and it's time for a new motor. I'm gong to ultimately rebuild the current motor but have time constraints so I just need to get a motor in asap. I have an FSDE in it but when I go to look up motors for sale, I see FSDE or FSZE labels (in various ads for the motors) they visually look the same to me (save for a few things here and there on the intake manifold). I tried googling the "FSxxxxx" number I see on some of the blocks but that doesn't indicate whether it's an FSDE/ZE block or not (that I can tell). Wikipedia didn't help either.

Does anyone know of a quick way to tell if the block is a FSDE/ZE?

Thanks.

Hey all,

First time posting so excuse me if it's in the wrong area.

My P5 took a dump on me with 329k on the clock and it's time for a new motor. I'm gong to ultimately rebuild the current motor but have time constraints so I just need to get a motor in asap. I have an FSDE in it but when I go to look up motors for sale, I see FSDE or FSZE labels (in various ads for the motors) they visually look the same to me (save for a few things here and there on the intake manifold). I tried googling the "FSxxxxx" number I see on some of the blocks but that doesn't indicate whether it's an FSDE/ZE block or not (that I can tell). Wikipedia didn't help either.

Does anyone know of a quick way to tell if the block is a FSDE/ZE?

Thanks .
I wish you would have got an answer on that...I’m in the same situation pretty much.

Upvote 0
Trouttricker, hello there. Yeah, I ended up finding a P5 on CL that was smashed up on the side and swapped the motor (150k). Unfortunately they don't make it easy to tell. People say that black box on top of the intake is a good indicator but what if they added that on their own. I just decided to find a P5 on its last leg.

Now my 5 is smashed up in the front so I found a P5, damn near in perfect condition (save for the locked up rear brakes and motor issue on copart.com). Maybe you'll have luck there. Don't forget about the 2.0L sedans in the same year range as well to try.

Good luck 👍

Upvote 0
Back