HOW-TO: Rewire fog lights as DRLs - A/T only

:
2008 Mazda5 Touring
This modification pulls power off the automatic transmission relay right next to the fog relay - this is why it's only for the a/t vehicles.
1) Clip off the power leg of the fog relay.

2) Solder a small gauge (22+AWG) 4" jumper wire from that clipped leg to the base of the centermost leg of the a/t relay right next to it (don't clip that leg).

3) Plug them back in.​

See the picture below. I drew what was happening on the inside cover of the fuse panel to clarify. This view would simply require the relays to be flipped forward and pushed back into place. The fogs now come on with the key to RUN. The fog switch still works the same and the the High Beams still turn them off.

attachment.php

More images to clarify...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fog DRL 006.jpg
    Fog DRL 006.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,312
  • Fog DRL 003 copy.jpg
    Fog DRL 003 copy.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 4,854
  • Fog DRL 008.jpg
    Fog DRL 008.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,267
  • Fog DRL 009.jpg
    Fog DRL 009.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,313
  • Fog DRL 010.jpg
    Fog DRL 010.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,236
Last edited:
For those of you concerned...

The power drawn from the A/T Relay is only for energizing the fog relay, not for powering the fog lights.

The current the relay draws is minimal (mA), and it's pulling from the switched POWER, therefore it's not putting any extra load on the BCM/ECM which controls the A/T relay.

^I guess you could call that a disclaimer^ (thumb)

Thanks for the tip as this gives me a bypass of my BCM which is screwed up and not allowing my fog lights to work at all. I didn't do the same as you with regards to picking off the A/T but I had lost a ground signal so I piggy backed the leads like you and grounded off the chassis. The only thing is the fogs are always on now whenever the DRL are on or the Headlights.

Cheers

If you want to blind people sure, but factory DRL's that utilize the high beams are running through a PWM circuit at lower power. Some say about 60%. Not sure how you'd do this without some new electronics.

Anyone know a workaround like this for the second gen cars?

What you want to do is:

1. Turn ON headlights
  2. Turn ON fog lights
  3. Pull out the fog relay
  4. Check terminals for 12V
  5. Switch OFF fog lights
  6. Check terminals again for 12V
Report back your results.

OP, do you have a picture of the M5 with the fogs on as DRLs? And have you had any electrical problems or cautions after performing this mod?

Back